• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uniforms! Holy Cow! These puppies are expensive! (Bonus: Tax writeoff gouge)

Renegade One

None
Good Afternoon... I just updated my ribbons and I am some what confused as to how to arrange the Navy Non-Medals Ribbon that are worn with Large Medals on the right side. Kindly advise... is this the correct order? Thank you.
Correctamundo…but if you can shoot EXPERT with the pistol, that turns into a full-gong medal. Which is nice...

Hey guys I have a seemingly stupid question. I am currently serving as a reservist and have been around the Navy my whole life but I have never understood if you were supposed to wear a crew neck undershirt shirt or a v-neck shirt with white and khaki service uniforms? It seems like some people wear the v-neck and some wear the crew. Does it matter or is it just preference?

Also, any tips for making sure my uniforms are a little more fitted? I am a thin but muscular guy and dont want them to be all baggy.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
Hey guys I have a seemingly stupid question. I am currently serving as a reservist and have been around the Navy my whole life but I have never understood if you were supposed to wear a crew neck undershirt shirt or a v-neck shirt with white and khaki service uniforms? It seems like some people wear the v-neck and some wear the crew. Does it matter or is it just preference?

Also, any tips for making sure my uniforms are a little more fitted? I am a thin but muscular guy and dont want them to be all baggy.

When in doubt, refer to the regs!
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...lations/uniformcomponents/Pages/3501_101.aspx
You can wear either v- or crew neck. :)

Be careful getting uniforms 'fitted'. During DCOIC one item that got mentioned (and was on the final exam!) was that uniforms should not be so tailored as to be tight and/or distracting. If you really want to get it tailored, try going to a Navy uniform shop that has people trained and knowledgeable about the regulations.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor

Not sure about wearing v-neck with service khakis or summer whites, I've never seen it done, but I'll defer to PG on that one. If it's in the regs, it's in the regs.
As far as keeping your uniforms from looking baggy, I'd recommend shirt stays in addition to getting them tailored at the NEX. It's really the best way to keep it from sort of "pillowcasing" at the back.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It's authorized, definitely an academyism, but authorized. It's been awhile since I looked, and primarily don't care since I'm MPRA, but I'm 99% sure you have to wear crew neck if you were wearing them on board a ship.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
As far as keeping your uniforms from looking baggy, I'd recommend shirt stays in addition to getting them tailored at the NEX. It's really the best way to keep it from sort of "pillowcasing" at the back.
Oh! I developed a strange love/addiction to shirt stays at DCOIC. I totally love the stirrup ones. The clip ones just confuse and make me nervous about them snapping up.

PenguinGal

Can Do!
Contributor
It's authorized, definitely an academyism, but authorized. It's been awhile since I looked, and primarily don't care since I'm MPRA, but I'm 99% sure you have to wear crew neck if you were wearing them on board a ship.
Well, if by on ships you mean with working uniforms then yes. Uniforms on ships are (were?) NWUs and coveralls. They reference the following reg for t-shirts.
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-n...gulations/uniformcomponents/Pages/3603_3.aspx

I think they want crew neck at OTCN with khakis and SDBs.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Oh! I developed a strange love/addiction to shirt stays at DCOIC. I totally love the stirrup ones. The clip ones just confuse and make me nervous about them snapping up.
I picked up the ones that clip to the socks. They're not bad, and I haven't had a problem with them letting go. I never liked having to put on the stirrup ones underneath the socks. Plus mine fell apart after only about three weeks of wear.

And yes, crew neck only at OTCN. I can't even imagine someone getting caught with a v-neck (or God forbid, no undershirt at all) by a DI or RDC.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interestingly (well maybe not but I'm bored waiting for the spousal unit to come home so here goes), late 70's into the 80's the type of T-shirt neck you wore marked you. The AOCS guys came from the USMC school of, well, almost everything. AOCS guys stood at attention with hands lightly curled and thumbs on the seems. OCS guys had hands open and flat along seems. Boat school and ROTC guys tended to differ but mostly open hand. AOCS guys grounded the metal tip of the belt directly to the buckle and all the rest at the first belt loop. AOCS folks wore crew neck Ts and everyone else V neck. All AOCS grads had brand new uniforms from Abbots or Whites and looked well put together. You NEVER saw them with a Khaki combo cover. All the rest wore their issue stuff they had worn for 4 years. It often looked shabby. Worse, it wasn't unusual to see them wearing combo covers, at least in API or early flight school. Everyone lost the combo by time they got to the fleet, as it should be.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
.....You can wear either v- or crew neck. :)

Yeah....the only folks I ever saw wearing v-necks in the Navy were a little bit 'that guy'-ish. Usually not tools but guys but the ones who would spend 50 minutes getting ready to go out on a crew dinner in Misawa or to get schwarma because you never knew when you might run in to the ladies. That or they were Greek.

Be careful getting uniforms 'fitted'. During DCOIC one item that got mentioned (and was on the final exam!) was that uniforms should not be so tailored as to be tight and/or distracting. If you really want to get it tailored, try going to a Navy uniform shop that has people trained and knowledgeable about the regulations.

96L0016_lg_2_Lauren-Holly.jpg

bryanteagle6

so what is everyone's thoughts on every branch going back to a common camo? Will the blueberries get a pass, since they aren't "combat camo"?

Hair Warrior

Contributor
Years ago, the three-star (can't recall his name at the moment) who was in charge of the source selection for digital camo uniforms was so haphazard at managing stakeholder expectations and the initiative's broader objectives that the customer requirements diverged, and we ended up with the rainbow we have today. Failure of a change management effort, if you ask me.

Sadly, while bundling the requirements' owners requirements would have been prudent for digital camo combat uniforms (and it wasn't achieved), OSD somehow managed to bundle everyone's requirements for the F-35... and in doing so pretty much hamstrung the aircraft's effectiveness forever. A recent article I read claims that the USMC F-35B's VTOL needs were the sole reason preventing the possibility of a 2nd engine (as seen in the F-4, F-14, F-15, F-18, F-117, F-22, B-1, B-2, ad nauseum) and curtailed its payload capacity.

So, DoD should have split the requirements for the 5th gen. strike fighter, and not for the uniforms. Instead, they did the opposite for both. Such is the mil.