• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uh-Oh

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Boy ... how the service academies have changed over the past 40 years. The biggest academy scandals used to be cheating on tests and going over the wall to drink. Sad .... truly, truly sad. And embarrassing for all of us who care about our traditional institutions.

STANDARDS ... you gotta' have STANDARDS. If you lower the STANDARDS to accommodate people who would have not previously been accepted ....this is what you get. Don't give me any crap about race, gender, or whatever else you want to grind on ... it's all about .........

STANDARDs.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
It could be that the character of the Academy has changed due to lowered standards. Or....
.... perhaps this sort of thing used to be swept under the rug or otherwise ignored. ....

Sorry .... but perhaps not.

Not trying to "offend you" ... dream on if it makes your day --- but your suggestion is B.S. We did not tolerate nor condone rapists or other miscreants in the Officer Corps. I was in the Navy "then", remember ???

We had ways of getting the "word out" when CNN/FOX/MSNBC/you-name-it-24-hour-a-day-news was just a wet dream in the mind (?) of Ted Turner. If/when anything remotely approaching this happened --- we knew.

The Officer Corps --- and the Service Academies --- were not impacted by "this sort of thing" .... back-in-the-day. As in ... almost NEVER. I know it makes everyone feel better to think otherwise, but it didn't happen. Quit rationalizing for a present day decaying society with decaying moral standards by trying to imply ... "it's always happened"

Pure B.S. The STANDARDS have gone down. Period.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Barnard1425 said:
If this happened at my 27,000-strong public school it wouldn't make it past the local newspaper.
I'll bet it would if the alleged perp was the star QB. ;)

Brett

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I just tried to post on this, but I kept getting pissed off. If this guy is guilty nail his ass to the wall, but 95% of the things I have seen at the academy have been pure bull**** so I am skeptical to say the least.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Boy ... how the service academies have changed over the past 40 years. The biggest academy scandals used to be cheating on tests and going over the wall to drink. Sad .... truly, truly sad. And embarrassing for all of us who care about our traditional institutions.

A4s, don't forget about the enterprising MIDN 2/c Jason Harloff and his "experiment" in pharmaceuticals and their distribution.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
Brett327 said:
I'll bet it would if the alleged perp was the star QB. ;)

Brett

Case in point, Marcus Vick, the star quarterback for Virginia Tech. WHile he didn't rape anybody, he committed a crime and it got plastered all over the news. Had he just been a gangbanger without any talent, there probably wouldn't be a story.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Not to add fuel to the fire, but I wonder how Kate Faber is doing these days? :D

Brett

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
A4sForever said:
Pure B.S. The STANDARDS have gone down. Period.
In what ways specifically? How do they screen/standardize for morality? (Just 'cause I'm curious.)

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Rape trials within the Academy should be per inquiry and then court-martial only...I'd bet that any woman worth her officer training billet would think twice before turning sexual harrassment or other minor scandal into something punishable by "death or other punishment as directed etc. etc."

You really would, I think, have to hate and fear someone to want them to die for it. Unfortunately, the penalty hasn't been used in a while.

I think, though, what "higher standard" is that years ago this would have been a single confrontation in a dorm room, in front of five or six other guys: "Did you do it? Yes, or no." Followed by either nothing, or a beating and a resignation, then civilian charges. Is that more or less what we're talking about? Otherwise, potential rapists have been accepted to military academies as far back as Sparta...it's just that their underlying immorality often showed through in other ways that got them killed or cashiered.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
The defendant won't be exactly fading... He will be sentenced in the next couple of days for violating a restraining order and conduct unbecoming. Lamar Owens evidently went alllll the way up to 7-4 to talk to her about the case, definately a bad idea. As for XYZ, JKL had messages sent over AOL instant messenger from her telling Lamar to come over, and this wasn't the first time she was involved in this sort of thing. The defense called in character witnesses to emphasize the fact that this girl had intimate knowledge of many a midshipman. Now we have a ruined career and a tarnished view of the Naval Academy to thank this girl for.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The defendant won't be exactly fading... He will be sentenced in the next couple of days for violating a restraining order and conduct unbecoming. Lamar Owens evidently went alllll the way up to 7-4 to talk to her about the case, definately a bad idea. As for XYZ, JKL had messages sent over AOL instant messenger from her telling Lamar to come over, and this wasn't the first time she was involved in this sort of thing. The defense called in character witnesses to emphasize the fact that this girl had intimate knowledge of many a midshipman. Now we have a ruined career and a tarnished view of the Naval Academy to thank this girl for.

Agreed, but he still should have kept it in his pants. I presume there are rules about frat at USNA and I'm betting the chances of finding a more attractive chick to bang would probably have been better out in town. Let this be a lesson to everyone. Don't sh!t where you eat and don't bang your shipmates - no good can come of it, ever.

Brett

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I believe Monday they decide whether Owens stays or goes. The girl I believe has already decided that it is in her best interest to leave the Naval Academy. As far as it being frat, they only consider a relationship between a plebe (freshman) and an upperclassman frat. So while I totally agree you shouldn't be poking other midshipman, this incident was not out of the norm per se.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think she was granted immunity from the sex in the dorm thing so she could testify. If she wanted to stay she pretty much could. Glad to hear the she is leaving though.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
I think she was granted immunity from the sex in the dorm thing so she could testify. If she wanted to stay she pretty much could. Glad to hear the she is leaving though.

I read the same thing in the Capital. Isn't that amazing? She gets immunity from everything, while he is taken to court martial, is found innocent, and still gets punished. I understand he was found guilty of the other articles, but she was guilty of similar lesser offenses.