• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Uh-Oh

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
brd2881 said:
This argument is endless and will go round and round...so much damage done to all parties, accused, alleged victim...the academy...it really is a shame..no matter how it turns out...

So what else is new in just about any contentious topic. No tears shed here. A double edged sword is what I want.

But hey, I'm offering a solution: "The morning after statute of limitations."

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
Schnugg said:
But hey, I'm offering a solution: "The morning after statute of limitations."

Nice from the male perspective, but I don't think such a solution is actionable. One major reason many rape cases go unreported is due to fear on the part of the women. Fear of reprisal, fear of being called a ****, fear of having every sexual relationship dragged into court for all to see. The "morning after" is not a time when a decision like this is going to typically be made.

I think the reason rape charges often appear after a period of time is due to a drumming up of courage to face the consequences of filing a rape charge.

Now, this isn't to say that in a percentage of rape cases there isn't some maliciousness in filing long after the deatil of the events has been distorted by time and outside influences.

It's a sticky situation for all invloved. Best of luck to the investigators on this one.

DocT

Dean of Students
pilot
P.S. The "cursing filter just bleeped out the word s l u t! This is excessive.

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
DocT said:
Nice from the male perspective, but I don't think such a solution is actionable. One major reason many rape cases go unreported is due to fear on the part of the women. Fear of reprisal, fear of being called a ****, fear of having every sexual relationship dragged into court for all to see. The "morning after" is not a time when a decision like this is going to typically be made.

I think the reason rape charges often appear after a period of time is due to a drumming up of courage to face the consequences of filing a rape charge.

Now, this isn't to say that in a percentage of rape cases there isn't some maliciousness in filing long after the deatil of the events has been distorted by time and outside influences.

Good counter-point. Definitely could be the case at times.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
The part that makes this hard for me to believe is the fact that it supposedly occured in Bancroft. It's hard enough to have consensual sex in bancroft let alone to rape someone. All the girl would have had to have done is cry out and there would have been people in their like stink on sh--. Too many people have been publicly tarnished because someone put themselves in a bad situation and then decided later they didn't like the results. Women will go to a football house, a place that they know is going to resemble a scene from animal house, and then get drunk there. Now I'm not saying that if a woman did this and got raped it is solely her fault, but there are usually a string of bad decisions that could have prevented the situation from occuring.

One of my plebe summer roomates went to a party youngster year and got drunk and passed out, only to find an upperclassMAN molesting his junk. They court martialed the said upperclassman and he is now in the brigg in South Carolina, and when he gets out he will have to register as a sex offender. My friend got a year of restriction for going to a "mid house" and drinking under age. Everyone else at the party were put on restriction, including the company commander and XO. I tell this story to serve several purposes. First, the "raped" person was chastized for his poor decision making skills, something that I havent seen much of in male/female cases during my time as a midshipman. Secondly, whats been said about people doing things you could never see them doing holds true in my story. The offender was a die hard Marine ground select, and the plebe training sargeant. His friends still can't believe he did it. I also didn't see this plastered all over the news... you would think that a first class midshipman going to prison for raping an underclassman would make the front page of the Washington Post, but I guess they are too busy pushing their own agenda to notice.

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
xmid,

It isnt as hard as you'd think to have sex in the hall. I've not done it, but I know of at least two people who've had civilian girls spend 2 or 3 nights in their rooms. I also know of one girl (a mid) who had consensual sex in her room on more than one occasion with another mid.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Oh I know its done, I'm just saying it leeds me to believe that this was a situation where the girl decided that she didn't want to do it after the fact. If she protested much at all I would think someone would have heard.

xmid

pilot
Contributor
I guess I don't buy in to a girl not saying no because of her past trauma somehow making her not responsible to tell him to stop. The naval academy drills in to girls heads that they are to say stop if they are recieving unwanted advances. They are making officers in the United States Navy, and if those officers don't have the intestinal fortitude to say stop in a situation like this, then how can we expect them to make good decisions on the battle field?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
I guess I don't buy in to a girl not saying no because of her past trauma somehow making her not responsible to tell him to stop. The naval academy drills in to girls heads that they are to say stop if they are recieving unwanted advances. They are making officers in the United States Navy, and if those officers don't have the intestinal fortitude to say stop in a situation like this, then how can we expect them to make good decisions on the battle field?
Oh, my bad. I didn't see your psychiatric credentials. ;)

Brett

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Brett,

I believe that the condition that you described is real (like you said I'm not a psychologist), but I'm just saying that having a condition like that is not something we should allow in our officers. Officers are held responsible for their actions, and INACTIONS. They must be, because peoples lives can be at stake. If a Marine is under fire and he freezes up and his/(her) Marines get killed he will be held responsible. I don't think it should be any different for a girl in said situation.

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
I hope that my previous post didn't imply that I was taking his side in this. If he did rape her than he deserves whatever he gets and then some. What I have a problem with is the grey areas in the definition of rape. The majority of the time the incident takes place in a secluded area with just the two people there. If either the man or the woman forces the other to have sex then it is rape cut and dried. The problem I have is this changing of the mind after the event bit. A few years ago I was at a party with some of the people that I was going to school with. This girl ripped off this guy's pants (shorts and all), pulled him into a bedroom and shut the door. A few days later when she thought she was pregnent, she told her parents. They convinced her to go to the police and file charges. Eventually after the police took statements from those of us at the party, the charges were dropped. He was trashed by the media, kicked out of school, had his car vandalized and was out over $5000 in legal expenses. The system in place now is too willing to believe the woman. In my opinion the identity of both parties should be kept secret until at least an investigation has been completed.
If the claim turns out to have no basis then the accused should be able to take action against the accuser.

JTD

Brett327 said:
Something else to consider is that some women fit into a "victims profile" which for a number of complex psychological reasons make the "good victims." In an attempt to recreate some childhood trauma, will unconsciously make themselves available to be victimized, often disassociating and freezing up during the experience (something which could be misconstrued as consent). This phenomenon is extremely common in rape cases and is responsible for women who have been raped on numerous occasions by a variety of men.

Brett

and your psychiatric credentials would be?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
xmid said:
Brett,

I believe that the condition that you described is real (like you said I'm not a psychologist), but I'm just saying that having a condition like that is not something we should allow in our officers. Officers are held responsible for their actions, and INACTIONS. They must be, because peoples lives can be at stake. If a Marine is under fire and he freezes up and his/(her) Marines get killed he will be held responsible. I don't think it should be any different for a girl in said situation.
That's all well and good, but it's hard to "not allow" something that you don't know exists in the first place. There's no way any commissioning source would be aware of such a condition without explicitly looking for it and without subjecting every applicant to a fairly intensive psychological screening - something that is not done. I don't argue that the Navy shouldn't allow such people to become officers, nor do I have any particular reason to believe that this was in play for the case at hand. I'm just bringing it to light as a phenomenon which could explain why someone wouldn't cry out while being raped.

@JTD: Pointing out a well studied and widely understood psychological phenomenon does not require specific expertise in that field, but if someone is going to refute what amounts to conventional wisdom, I think that deserves an explanation. In that vein, if I told you that high cholesterol can lead to heart problems, you'd probably believe me, but if XMID told you that a high cholesterol was good for you, you'd probably want to see his evidence and medical or scientific credentials.

Brett