• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UF MBA for Naval Aviators

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Personally, I have yet to see a single instance where having an MBA meant a better salary or improved quality of life. The knowledge and content could be interesting - no doubt - but IMHO I don't think its a determining factor in hiring for any job on the planet.

Your profile says you work at GE. What degrees does your CEO have, and from where?

It matters.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Your profile says you work at GE. What degrees does your CEO have, and from where?

It matters.
Is GE still worshiping at the altar of the Six Sigma Über-Master Ninja Black Belt? That might have something to do with it.

Edit: Oh, and Jeff Immelt is a Hahvahd MBA FWIW . . .
Case in point- one of the testers at a former project had recently completed his MBA at ODU.
Software testing isn't something you need an MBA for.
Well, did he recently complete it to switch to another job? No, an SDET doesn't need an MBA, but based on the job listings I've seen out of Microsoft, Expedia, et al, the Project or Program Manager over him probably has one.

Ultimately, a credential is basically instant credibility for gatekeepers who don't know you. It's like rank in the military; if you know someone is an OSCS, you may not know them personally, but you have a rough idea of their expertise. Sure, you can get enough experience to be CEO without an MBA, but don't go showing up hat in hand to the HR recruiters looking for a senior management job without the proper credentials or a persuasive alternative. And in the case of Door #2, it's probably still better to know the hiring manager or get your resume in his/her hands.

Last edited:

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
My 2c is the way it works with MBAs is that you either get a Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, or Stanford MBA, possibly MIT -- or else you go for the regional MBA in the city where you want to work, i.e. Kellogg/NW for Chicago, Foster/UW for Seattle, etc. If you don't know what city that will be, frankly I don't think it matters and I'd go path of least resistance. For example, I'd say all of the Kelly/IU, Duke/Fuqua, UVA/Darden, etc that people think are show-stopping MBAs, I don't think add much marginal value, or any, over a regional where you are networking locally both in and out of class and there are massive alumni populations in the local workplace. Better to get a local MBA than one of those 2nd tier that I mentioned (and I'm including Michigan, UNC, and Florida in this tier).

To elaborate upon that, if you want to specialize in a certain discipline, then a few other schools start appearing in the top. For example in International Business (graduate), the University of South Carolina's Moore School of Business rises to the top according to US News and World Report. Likewise, if you want to go specifically into marketing, supply chain, etc you might want to take a look at the rankings to make sure you do not overlook a school.

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Is GE still worshiping at the altar of the Six Sigma Über-Master Ninja Black Belt? That might have something to do with it.
Thankfully Lean-Six Sigma has been put back in the bottle and contained to use in hard core manufacturing only. It really has fallen out of favor - as has most everything to do with Jack W.

We have completely abandoned performance reviews and "agile" and "minimally viable product" are the order of the day.

The 6 sigma nazis are mostly gone or have changed their tune.

ChuckMK23

pilot

It matters.
St a certain level it does agree - but more for relationships and probably coming to GE via a postgraduate a session program at the respective school. But it has not been a barrier to myself or my many colleagues on my team who don't have one and are making in the 150 to 200 K range

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thankfully Lean-Six Sigma has been put back in the bottle and contained to use in hard core manufacturing only. It really has fallen out of favor - as has most everything to do with Jack W.

We have completely abandoned performance reviews and "agile" and "minimally viable product" are the order of the day.

The 6 sigma nazis are mostly gone or have changed their tune.
My dad will be glad to hear. He's a retired mechanical engineer who spent his career designing systems for power plants. He worked for GE Power Systems in Schenectady for 10 years, mostly in the Welch era. I distinctly recall him getting driven totally bugshit by having to do Six Sigma projects for every damned little thing. I recently certified Yellow Belt myself, and I can see why. It's a good way of thinking for taking a process that's completely borked, and fixing it. But the law of diminishing returns will rear its ugly head. "Six Sigma" is a standard that needs to be applied judiciously, as opposed to the ass-pain achieving it will create. LSS has its uses outside manufacturing, much as a screwdriver isn't just used for driving screws. But much as you wouldn't use a screwdriver to pound a nail, it seems to me you have to be smart about where to apply LSS, and not force it on your people wholesale.

"Agile" is the buzzword everywhere now, it seems. As always, a good idea misapplied by consultants who don't know what the hell they're doing. It sets itself up in opposition to the Project Management Body of Knowledge, which is its own special breed of academic bullshit hell. I got my Certified Scrum Master training a couple years ago, and it's obvious Scrum was designed by an old RF-4 pilot. It's basically the Fallon mission planning cycle applied to business. Plan, fly, debrief, analyze, repeat. Agile has its place, but now people are trying to use it for things it wasn't designed for, watching it fail, and then declaring the whole thing "dead" because they're idiots. Go figure.

ChuckMK23

pilot
@nittany03 I am off to Schenectady in the morning - so will pay a brief homage to your dad. Like a lot of large technical organizations, there are many people who embrace the "activity" vs "progress" thing - e.g. look busy at all costs. It's actually a recognized leadership pattern (by well educated, smart people) at GE that they are trying to address over time. (e.g. not punishing failure).

Agile = OODA :) thats how I explain it to people ;) Your Scrum to PFDA is appropriate too in my book.

Hair Warrior

Contributor
On Lean Six Sigma:

It is alive and well at HQ USAF. They/we use it a ton for a particularly unpleasant form of enhanced interrogation technique called SDDP, per AFMAN 33-402, as part of AFSO-21. Basically, anyone who wants to acquire a defense business system (i.e. IT system not related to warfighting) that costs > $1M over FYDP has to go through SDDP, which requires LSS business process re-engineering. And, the USAF uses LSS way outside the traditional manufacturing sense.

SDDP is (possibly) coming to an OPNAV near you. Mr. Tillotson, who spawned SDDP while he was the SAF/US(M), is now at OSD.

Caveat: there are actually some decent reasons why SDDP (built on Lean Six Sigma) ain't all bad. ECSS is the glaring one: http://spectrum.ieee.org/riskfactor...r-force-ecss-program-managements-incompetence

On OODA:

I once recommended this to a USAF O6 as a simple method for analyzing and getting ahead of rapid change. He didn't like OODA, and had never heard of it or John Boyd. Irony.

Last edited:

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Agile has its place, but now people are trying to use it for things it wasn't designed for, watching it fail, and then declaring the whole thing "dead" because they're idiots. Go figure.
I'm leading a (so far) successful agile adoption effort for a small non-IT team. Using organizational change methods really does work - the catch is that the change agent has to put in a shit ton of effort and hand holding, esp. as stakeholders get more senior.