• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

UF MBA for Naval Aviators

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Are there any graduate programs that allow you to attend graduate school full time and return to duty once completed?

Fleet Scholars Education Program (FSEP) is the newest one that CNP is trialing. Full time grad school in residence, at any school, fully covered, while you make your regular pay. A good deal, but extremely limited quotas. All of Naval Aviation got 7 spots this year, and you require Typewing nomination. From what I can tell based on the timing their looking for (senior O-3/junior O-4), it's going to be in lieu of your disassociated sea tour.

yoyotanker

pilot
Doesn't the GEV require you to get certain degrees...MBA isn't one of them. I don't mind the obligation but do want to pursue a MBA. Maybe I interpreted the msg wrong.

I used the GEV for a distance MBA at Penn State and there are set quotas regarding degree and designator. MBA was not specifically mentioned on mine, however with a little legwork I was able to pick up a Finance quota. It didn't really require anything more than sending the class descriptions to a GEV rep (can't remember if they were in Pensacola or Monterrey) because of the number of finance courses you take for an MBA. I looked at the UF program while I was doing my research and it had one of the most reasonable residency requirements for people who live outside the area. It would have been my second choice. Also, as I recall the GEV incurs 2-3 years of concurrent time depending on how much money you use.

Doing a masters on a shore tour is not quite a second job, but it is enough work that you aren't going to have a lot of hobbies. Sometimes my wife referred to it as the grad school deployment.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Fleet Scholars Education Program (FSEP) is the newest one that CNP is trialing. Full time grad school in residence, at any school, fully covered, while you make your regular pay. A good deal, but extremely limited quotas. All of Naval Aviation got 7 spots this year, and you require Typewing nomination. From what I can tell based on the timing their looking for (senior O-3/junior O-4), it's going to be in lieu of your disassociated sea tour.

A guy from my former squadron got picked up and it's going to be for him between his dissociated tour and DH. He did have the timing, however, since he did an aide gig for shore duty.

My 2c is the way it works with MBAs is that you either get a Harvard, Wharton, Chicago, or Stanford MBA, possibly MIT -- or else you go for the regional MBA in the city where you want to work, i.e. Kellogg/NW for Chicago, Foster/UW for Seattle, etc. If you don't know what city that will be, frankly I don't think it matters and I'd go path of least resistance. For example, I'd say all of the Kelly/IU, Duke/Fuqua, UVA/Darden, etc that people think are show-stopping MBAs, I don't think add much marginal value, or any, over a regional where you are networking locally both in and out of class and there are massive alumni populations in the local workplace. Better to get a local MBA than one of those 2nd tier that I mentioned (and I'm including Michigan, UNC, and Florida in this tier).

PhrogLoop

Adulting is hard
pilot
My 2c...Better to get a local MBA than one of those 2nd tier that I mentioned (and I'm including Michigan, UNC, and Florida in this tier).
I won't bite on your poor impression of Ross other than to point out that there are other considerations which might make a non-H/S/W Top-Tier MBA worthwhile. I, for instance, mapped out my school's track record for job placement against my target firms and they match up pretty well. I'd like to be a management consultant at McKinsey, Bain, Deloitte, or Accenture and all of those firms are Ross-friendly (to say the least):
http://poetsandquants.com/school-profile/university-of-michigans-ross-school-of-business/

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Folks - couldn't find a more relevant thread - but looking at a Masters for my next tour (HTs). One day, definitely want to get an MBA, but understand the value of the network of an MBA, and concerned that a) if I can make a career, getting a decent MBA like UF, PSU, or Michigan, I will have lost my network, b) doing distance learning for an MBA will not get me the same networking opportunities I would otherwise have, etc. With that said, George Washington University has a distance learning "Political Management" Masters Degree. I've always had a good impression of GWU, but does anyone know about it? It seems a little fishy that my >3.0 GPA from my undergrad makes it so I don't need to take a GRE/GMAT... Anyone know anything about this program? I've always been interested in politics and wouldn't rule out trying to work a staff one day; I'm not looking for the path of least resistance to a Master's, just one that is both interesting and relevant to future endeavors.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
If you're looking for a Masters that helps you in the Navy do the Naval War College Masters/JPME combo... It's straight forward, priced right and relavent in the Navy/DoD... And you can get an MBA later if you're so inclined. Best part is it's a 5 minute drive over to class after you unsat your last student of the day.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Ask yourself why you want to get an MBA. There may be better options that align more closely with your interests/goals.

I too did a DL masters program in HTs. If I could do it again, I'd have started as soon as I got down there. Pulling a triple + actual ground job, which is the norm your last 18 months in the squadron, doesn't leave much energy for other things.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Ask yourself why you want to get an MBA. There may be better options that align more closely with your interests/goals.

I too did a DL masters program in HTs. If I could do it again, I'd have started as soon as I got down there. Pulling a triple + actual ground job, which is the norm your last 18 months in the squadron, doesn't leave much energy for other things.

That's my plan; I'd like to start ASAP. Thanks for the advice! I'll be looking into doing the Naval War College, thanks for the advice too, Zippy.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
The NWC fleet seminar realistically takes 4-6 years to complete. You'll have to plan around which core courses are offered where and when and how you'll get your electives (there are a few different ways to get those). One of the not so obvious good points about fleet seminar, if you're sitting on the fence about staying in or getting out, it doesn't incur additional service commitment like the NPS EMBA or taking TA do.

(Although I guess that is all moot if green air decides to keep you around on continuation for three more years as an O3... oops, too soon?)

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The NWC fleet seminar realistically takes 4-6 years to complete. You'll have to plan around which core courses are offered where and when and how you'll get your electives (there are a few different ways to get those). One of the not so obvious good points about fleet seminar, if you're sitting on the fence about staying in or getting out, it doesn't incur additional service commitment like the NPS EMBA or taking TA do.

(Although I guess that is all moot if green air decides to keep you around on continuation for three more years as an O3... oops, too soon?)

Pcola area offers each class every year so you can get all the core classes for JPME and the Masters done starting fall of 16 and completing spring of 19. You have to take the first class and be recommended by the instructor for the program at the completion of the first class (as long as you participate and get a B you'll be recommended). Take the 3 electives whenever you want once you're in the program (hint: AMU online does classes in 8 week terms and NWC CDE department is a big fan of them... You can use TA for those as well if you wish) and you can be program complete in 30 months. All of my classmates starting their first year in the VTs/HTs were able to complete the core classes by the completion of their shore tour- your level of motivation will determine if you get the 3 electives done at the same time- you have 7 years from starting your first course to complete the program.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Personally, I have yet to see a single instance where having an MBA meant a better salary or improved quality of life. The knowledge and content could be interesting - no doubt - but IMHO I don't think its a determining factor in hiring for any job on the planet.

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Case in point- one of the testers at a former project had recently completed his MBA at ODU.

Software testing isn't something you need an MBA for.

LAMPS Ninja

I love LAMPS?
pilot
Personally, I have yet to see a single instance where having an MBA meant a better salary or improved quality of life. The knowledge and content could be interesting - no doubt - but IMHO I don't think its a determining factor in hiring for any job on the planet.

I finished the Internet MBA from UF in 2013, and I believe it helped me get my job when I transitioned out earlier this year. I know for a fact that the MBA got me a generous "education award" for already having it completed.