• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tuskegee Airmen, an elite all African American fighter squadron

jtmedli

pilot
They are distinguished.

Yes, their story is unique and they put up with a lot to be where they were. Yes, they were distinguished. But they were no more 'distinguished' than anyone other fighter/bomber crew in WW2. We lost more aircrew than we did groundpounders in that war. If you had the sack to get in an aircraft and fly over Germany in the early 1940s then I dont care what color your skin was...my hat's off to ya.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes, their story is unique and they put up with a lot to be where they were. Yes, they were distinguished. But they were no more 'distinguished' than anyone other fighter/bomber crew in WW2. We lost more aircrew than we did groundpounders in that war. If you had the sack to get in an aircraft and fly over Germany in the early 1940s then I dont care what color your skin was...my hat's off to ya.

The guys flying over Europe had big brass ones but let's not replace one incorrect fact with another. The casualties for the USAAF were high but nowhere near as high as those for the 'ground pounders'. The number of casualties for the US Army's Air Corps branch (USAAF) is on page 16, all other branches are on page 22.

jmcquate

Contributor
I always chuckle when hear a blowhard say "It's an ignored part of our history that need's to be told". The story of the 332nd Fighter Group is about the only story the general public has been told over the last 20 years about WWII aviation.

When I was doing museum work, I was charged to convince the Cleveland, OH chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen to donate their artifacts and papers to our museum and archives. I was a regular attendee of their meetings and they found it refreshing that I wanted to know what it was like flying a P-51 in combat and didn't obsess over race (they made me a honorary member). I know race has a large part in their story, but they thought of themselves as fighter pilots and soldiers.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
AlphapeO6,

The line about Negroes was taken from the movie Red Tails. In the movie, a white bomber pilot asked a black fighter pilot "We call you colored, what do you call yourself?" The response was something like "when a white guy is embarrassed he turns red, when he's envious he turns green and when he's scared he turns yellow....and you call us colored? We're Negroes."

My second comment was a jab at racism and basically saying why are we identifying anyone by race at all - as the title of the thread does. We're all Americans.

I was not down playing their accomplishments but was instead saying they (their race) was equal to all others.

I submit that you are the racist one here jumping to the conclusion that since a white guy made a comment on race, the comment must be racist. I called myself a European American because it is just as ridiculous as the term African American. The vast majority of black people in the U.S. were not born in Africa nor have they ever seen or stepped foot on Africa. My daughter is half Japanese but she doesn't call herself Japanese-American (yes I know that some do). I think adding any origin in front of American perpetuates racisms. BTW, Negro is just the term for the anthropological origins of blacks, just like Caucasian is for whites. There is nothing derogatory about it.

jtmedli

pilot
The guys flying over Europe had big brass ones but let's not replace one incorrect fact with another. The casualties for the USAAF were high but nowhere near as high as those for the 'ground pounders'. The number of casualties for the US Army's Air Corps branch (USAAF) is on page 16, all other branches are on page 22.

Oh Sweet Jesus...numbers and graphs.... I'll have to look up what division they were comparing it to cuase clearly I was wrong about all the guys on the ground.

jmcquate

Contributor
Oh Sweet Jesus...numbers and graphs.... I'll have to look up what division they were comparing it to cuase clearly I was wrong about all the guys on the ground.
The percentage of bomber crew KIA was much higher that any other US combat arms in WWII. Surviving 20 missions in a B-17 or B-24 was not an easy thing to do.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AlphapeO6,

The line about Negroes was taken from the movie Red Tails. In the movie, a white bomber pilot asked a black fighter pilot "We call you colored, what do you call yourself?" The response was something like "when a white guy is embarrassed he turns red, when he's envious he turns green and when he's scared he turns yellow....and you call us colored? We're Negroes."

My second comment was a jab at racism and basically saying why are we identifying anyone by race at all - as the title of the thread does. We're all Americans.

I was not down playing their accomplishments but was instead saying they (their race) was equal to all others.

I submit that you are the racist one here jumping to the conclusion that since a white guy made a comment on race, the comment must be racist. I called myself a European American because it is just as ridiculous as the term African American. The vast majority of black people in the U.S. were not born in Africa nor have they ever seen or stepped foot on Africa. My daughter is half Japanese but she doesn't call herself Japanese-American (yes I know that some do). I think adding any origin in front of American perpetuates racisms. BTW, Negro is just the term for the anthropological origins of blacks, just like Caucasian is for whites. There is nothing derogatory about it.

Dude...

As much as I enjoy the way these posts go off on tangents, the reason that I posted this in the first place was because of the following statement made by Charles McGee, 1st Lieutenant USAF (Ret.) It is as follows:

"The legacy of the Tuskegee Airmen brought out values that are still important: Dedication, Determination, Perseverance - they're important to our American way of life and I like to tell youngsters; 'As you improve and the things you do to improve your own life are also strengths for the country' "

Nothing to do with color, race or religion, just the fact that his words were inspiring.

HAPPY NEW YEAR TO EVERYONE!

Hozer

Jobu needs a refill!
None
Contributor
Grandfather.
Oschersleben/Schweinfurt, Berlin...survived his tour and then went to PTO for Tinian, et al.
2 x DFC, etc, etc.
Bombed his own ancestral homeland in support of the cause.
384th out of Grafton...

Never asked for shit. Not a movie, not thanks, just grateful to live in and be a part of this great country everyday of his life.
I live my life trying to be worthy of him.

I keep the original in my office, front and center.

Attachments

• fritz.jpg
    fritz.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 53

robav8r

None
Contributor
Grandfather.
Oschersleben/Schweinfurt, Berlin...survived his tour and then went to PTO for Tinian, et al.
2 x DFC, etc, etc.
Bombed his own ancestral homeland in support of the cause.
384th out of Grafton...

Never asked for shit. Not a movie, not thanks, just grateful to live in and be a part of this great country everyday of his life.
I live my life trying to be worthy of him.
Impressive Hozer !!!! And "Happy New Year" my friend :)