• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Tuskegee Airmen, an elite all African American fighter squadron

robav8r

None
Contributor
I would be willing to bet that very few, if any on this board lack "values." Might even be a hero or two lurking about.

You are absolutely right! I meant our country in general and the idea that we are able to sleep at night because of those who serve. The story and video was moving.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Didn't you see the movie Red Tails? They were called Negros back then.....

Posted by a European American who can't understand why we don't just use the label American for everybody.

Renegade One

None
The 332nd Fighter Group was just that…an American Fighter Group. No more…and certainly no LESS…elite than any of the other tens of thousands of Americans of every description and ethnic background who fought to victory in the skies over Africa, Europe and the Pacific.

alphaape06

I use this site for gouge and to gather information. I rarely post anything. Indeed, I am a forum lurker at best. However, I find this post disturbing in the sense that there are remarks attempting to downplay the accomplishments of the Tuskegee Airmen. First, I do not understand how the "Negro" comment is relevant. Please enlighten me. I also respectfully disagree with the assertion that the 332nd was JUST a normal American fighting group. The fact that civil rights leaders, military and civilian, had to lobby for 20+ years to get Congress to pass a law just to establish training for these pilots should be enough to end the argument. However, I will elaborate.
For starters, let's be honest and put aside the idea that they were "No more…and certainly no LESS…elite than tens of thousands of Americans of every description and ethnic background" fighting for freedom in WWII. Although this may be true in part, it is rather misleading due to the fact that 90-100% of all military aviators at that time were white men. As a matter of fact, the Tuskegee Airmen were one of, if not the most, elite fighter group of this period. But, don't take my word for it. There are plenty of facts to back that up.
Unlike their white counter-parts, the Tuskegee airman were required to have some degree of flight experience and had to over-perform on standardized tests just to enter training. In addition, they had to deal with racism and segregation inside and and outside the forces.
It is not like they were given a golden hammer and told to strike. But these men were able to overcome a great deal and defend our great country. We should always give credit where credit is due. This is a great America story; a story adds to the fabric of who we are as a nation. It has less to do with ethnicity, race, or creed and more to do with a great story of triumph and resolve in the face of adversity. Please do not downplay their accomplishments.

BackOrdered

Contributor
I have to admit the comments came across as if the Tuskegee airmen didn't in fact crawl through the social and political equivalent of broken glass to earn the right to be pilots, in a time I wouldn't have been considered as Officer.

I'm also a firm believer in the saying that those who forget history are doomed to repeat it.

alphaape06

I would have to disagree with you Treetop Flyer. I never said it has nothing to do with race. It does. I was simply responding to HAL Pilot and Renegade One's comments. While you must consider race when anyone talks about the Tuskegee Airmen, you must also consider their humble beginnings, the historic context of what they did, and their service record in defending this country. Once that happens, you will begin to give credence to more than their race. Before this thing goes any farther, I want to say I have the utmost respect for everyone on this site and realize we won't always agree. I understand where Renegade One is coming from, but the Tuskegee Airmen have rightfully earned their place in history. I personally don't think they were just another fighter group. They are distinguished.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
I admire them because they were Fighter Pilots in WWII who acquitted themselves when they faced adversity at home and the enemy abroad.

The color of their skin is irrelevant.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I would have to disagree with you Treetop Flyer. I never said it has nothing to do with race. It does. I was simply responding to HAL Pilot and Renegade One's comments. While you must consider race when anyone talks about the Tuskegee Airmen, you must also consider their humble beginnings, the historic context of what they did, and their service record in defending this country. Once that happens, you will begin to give credence to more than their race. Before this thing goes any farther, I want to say I have the utmost respect for everyone on this site and realize we won't always agree. I understand where Renegade One is coming from, but the Tuskegee Airmen have rightfully earned their place in history. I personally don't think they were just another fighter group. They are distinguished.
The problem here is that you're attempting to make a serious point out of a thread containing some statements made by people not attempting to make a serious point. Countering someone's joking remark with affront and offense probably isn't the best use of your time or effort.

People can have whatever opinion they want about the Tuskegee Airmen. At the end of the day, who cares.