• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turned down trying to buy my first gun today!

B

bacardi00185

As hunting season is right around the corner I finally decided I would buy my own gun instead of borrowing friends gun. On Saturday I headed up to Bass Pro Shops in San Antonio to make a myriad of purchases I had settled on getting a Remington 700 in .270 and a 12 gauge shotgun. Since I am a Florida resident I knew I would need to bring my PCS orders from Milton to Kingsville with me. After semi-working off a mean hangover I got in my truck with a buddy also intent on making the same purchases and headed for San Antonio.

Got to Bass Pro and immediately started to fill up the cart. I picked up two nice single gun hard cases, some boots, etc...We went to the gun counter and began to try out some different models of the Rem. 700. I decided on the 700 CDL in with the nice wood stock vice the less expensive SPS with the synthetic stock. My buddy settled on a Tika .270. We also startled looking for nice scopes. I was going to pick up a Nikon 9x40 with the BDC feature. Here begins the debacle.

As it came time to pick up our new rifles we each pulled out our orders, our military id's, and out state id's. The rep at the counter began to look over our orders and commenter on how the keep looking different so another service rep stepped over to help. He looked over out orders and simply said sorry we can not sell you these guns. His reasoning was because they said we were under training for a period not to exceed "20 months" and since they did not expressly says that they were PCS orders we could not buy the guns. We explained that they were PCS orders showing him where is read change of duty station, but to no avail. He again brought up the 20 month line to which we responded that we would be moving every 3 years for the next 10 years of our lives so what really constitutes permanent. Still nothing. We talked to head of security at Bass Pro, he apologized profusely then said it wasn't the store that didn't want to sell us the guns but that the ATF would not accept the wording of our orders. Needless to say we weren't happy and left our full shopping carts and began the drive back to Kingsville. All told I spent $180 and have nothing to show for it, stupid gas prices.

Anyone know of a good gun store in Corpus or in the area? Still trying to make these purchases

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
As hunting season is right around the corner I finally decided I would buy my own gun instead of borrowing friends gun. On Saturday I headed up to Bass Pro Shops in San Antonio to make a myriad of purchases I had settled on getting a Remington 700 in .270 and a 12 gauge shotgun. Since I am a Florida resident I knew I would need to bring my PCS orders from Milton to Kingsville with me. After semi-working off a mean hangover I got in my truck with a buddy also intent on making the same purchases and headed for San Antonio.

Got to Bass Pro and immediately started to fill up the cart. I picked up two nice single gun hard cases, some boots, etc...We went to the gun counter and began to try out some different models of the Rem. 700. I decided on the 700 CDL in with the nice wood stock vice the less expensive SPS with the synthetic stock. My buddy settled on a Tika .270. We also startled looking for nice scopes. I was going to pick up a Nikon 9x40 with the BDC feature. Here begins the debacle.

As it came time to pick up our new rifles we each pulled out our orders, our military id's, and out state id's. The rep at the counter began to look over our orders and commenter on how the keep looking different so another service rep stepped over to help. He looked over out orders and simply said sorry we can not sell you these guns. His reasoning was because they said we were under training for a period not to exceed "20 months" and since they did not expressly says that they were PCS orders we could not buy the guns. We explained that they were PCS orders showing him where is read change of duty station, but to no avail. He again brought up the 20 month line to which we responded that we would be moving every 3 years for the next 10 years of our lives so what really constitutes permanent. Still nothing. We talked to head of security at Bass Pro, he apologized profusely then said it wasn't the store that didn't want to sell us the guns but that the ATF would not accept the wording of our orders. Needless to say we weren't happy and left our full shopping carts and began the drive back to Kingsville. All told I spent $180 and have nothing to show for it, stupid gas prices.

Anyone know of a good gun store in Corpus or in the area? Still trying to make these purchases

The Sharp Shooter. Google em. I bought my glock 19 there. Yes, they are a bit on the expensive side, but they are VERY helpful and caring, and I had my gun in my hands and out the door very quickly and with minimal ass-pain.

The range there is decent, too.

statesman

Shut up woman... get on my horse.
pilot
If you ever make it up as far as Austin, McBrides will likely sell you the guns. Call a head of time to be sure but they are always really nice and they have pretty good prices, not the cheapest you will ever find but usually cheaper than anything at Cabellas, Bass Pro-Shop, etc

xnvyflyer

xnvyflyer
pilot
So much for our damn 2nd amendment. Sorry about that. That is complete BS. Military no less. San Diego and basically all of California is the same way. I don't see the sheriff in San Diego growing a pair any time soon.

My father was ATF and I still say F the ATF.

Feeling a bit better, thanks.

X

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
It would be interesting to hear a response from the local ATF agents...not some douchebag sales clerks and a security guard. It sounds like these guys have their facts mixed up as the Navy's definition of PCS is 181 Days (last time I checked) I would guess that they could give you some sort of letter stating "sell this motherfucker a badass gun!"

Or something to that effect.

Maybe someone in the AW community has a connection to help you with this endeavour.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It would be interesting to hear a response from the local ATF agents...not some douchebag sales clerks and a security guard. It sounds like these guys have their facts mixed up as the Navy's definition of PCS is 181 Days (last time I checked) I would guess that they could give you some sort of letter stating "sell this motherfucker a badass gun!"

Or something to that effect.

Maybe someone in the AW community has a connection to help you with this endeavour.

Concur. What's the point of having to show the orders in the first place? To establish residency? I'm sure there are other ways to prove residency that would suffice for BATF (TX drivers lic, etc).

Brett

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
It is also an issue of the store covering it's own @ss, probably because they don't understand the law. I've run into a similar situation. I PCSed to San Diego about 2 months ago, but I've remained a FL resident since I'll be going back there in a few months. Anyways, I was thinking about picking up a Mosin Nagant at the local Big 5 and did some research to see what paperwork i needed to show in order to buy. Since I'm in CA on orders, all I SHOULD need to show was my military ID and the orders stationing me here. I called some of the local shops and each one gave me a different spin: one clerk at a Big 5 said that orders and military ID would have been fine, another said I'd need something from CA saying I actually have residence in San Diego (state ID), and another shop wanted a letter w/ command letterhead stating my local address!

It turned out to be too big a hassle and I bought a 10 gun cabinet instead of the old rifle:(

I think the way I'll avoid the CA BS is to go through CMP. So now the inevitable question: I've been torn between the Garand and Carbine...but it's a good dilemma to have!

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Concur. What's the point of having to show the orders in the first place? To establish residency? I'm sure there are other ways to prove residency that would suffice for BATF (TX drivers lic, etc).

Brett

Yeah, that's the issue, without something like a Texas drivers license you're not a resident, and orders are supposed to be the way of showing you are a pseudo-resident.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Yeah, that's the issue, without something like a Texas drivers license you're not a resident, and orders are supposed to be the way of showing you are a pseudo-resident.

I think it is this that makes shops uncomfortable selling to military if they don't have an state ID. Apparently the laws in CA changed recently to allow military to buy w/ military ID and Orders. A Big 5 clerk actually joked w/ me and said until recently it was easier for an illegial alien to buy a gun in CA than a military member!

Redux

I think the way I'll avoid the CA BS is to go through CMP. So now the inevitable question: I've been torn between the Garand and Carbine...but it's a good dilemma to have!

If not both it's gotta be the Garand, Tomcat>Cessna 152.

magnetfreezer

To avoid this in FL I got the $5 state ID from the DMV, took about 10 minutes to process and all he needed was mil ID, existing DL, and a utility bill/etc for the local address to put on the card. I would imagine TX does the same thing. Definitely made it a lot easier since it is the same format/etc as a DL; before that I had some trouble with dealers - they wouldn't even accept a FL CCW with local address as proof of residency.

PropAddict

Now with even more awesome!
pilot
Contributor
Yep, I had the exact same issue as the OP a while back. I posted it on one of the forums here.

Basically, the orders from TRAWING 5 don't specifically say "PCS", so they no worky. I tried using my lease on my house, utility bills, all to no avail. Not sufficient proof of residency.

Go to the DMV in Corpus, pay $10 to get a Texas state ID card. They print out a temporary one right then and there, which most places will accept although some others won't. It takes about 2 weeks for the plastic one to come in the mail, and after that you're good to go. Haven't had a problem since.

The best part of this ordeal? To get my Texas ID all I had to show were my orders (the same ones I tried at the gun shop), CAC card, and my passport. Nowhere did it have my actual address on any of that stuff.

From poking around in some other forums it seems the issue stems from the mandatory gun registration in Texas. They need an address to associate with the gun, and without 100% proof of where you live, they are worried that the shady pines retirement home will have 8,000,000 guns purportedly housed there. Or some such malarky.

IN CORPUS: Sharpshooter is good; and they WILL haggle on used guns.
Texas gun Shop off SPID is okay, real small inventory so it can be hit or miss.
Academy Sports can have some decent sale prices, depending on what you're looking for.

Then again, there is a gun show Sept. 13. Might want to hold out until then.