• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turned down trying to buy my first gun today!

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Am I the only one that thinks this whole escapade is absurd? The 2nd amendment clearly states that everyone has a right to bear arms. Even still, some idiot chimed in "but no it means only well regulated militia type people!" Well, aside from the fact that those people can't read, wouldn't active duty military constitute part a "well-regulated militia?" Hearing about stuff like this really pisses me off.

/threadjack
Not really. The militia is specifically an adjunct to the standing Armed Forces. To wit:
United States Code said:
(a) The militia of the United States consists of all able-bodied males at least 17 years of age and, except as provided in section 313 of title 32, under 45 years of age who are, or who have made a declaration of intention to become, citizens of the United States and of female citizens of the United States who are members of the National Guard. (b) The classes of the militia are— (1) the organized militia, which consists of the National Guard and the Naval Militia; and
(2) the unorganized militia, which consists of the members of the militia who are not members of the National Guard or the Naval Militia.
One of the purposes of the Second Amendment is to ensure the arming and proficiency of the unorganized militia.

thorman

pilot
I had a similar problem with Bass Pro and the ATF. I went to buy a Benelli shotgun at the Bass Pro in Savannah, where I had to fill out an ATF background check form. Since I'm a Florida resident, and Georgia is a bordering state, they said I should have no problem. Turns out I was delayed on my background check indefinitely. I still haven't been "approved", but they let me take it home after 2 weeks. Apparently the FBI can still come take it away if I end up being denied. The best part is I can get a TS clearance and fly multi-million dollar jets, but can not buy a sport shotgun.