• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Turned down trying to buy my first gun today!

phrogpilot73

Just curious..... how did you manage to spend $180 on gas with one trip to the store?
Kingsville - San Antonio - Kingsville = 320 miles, give or take.

Gas in Kingsville = $3.41/gal, give or take.

$180 in gas = 52 gallons, give or take.

320 miles/52 gallons = 6 mpg, give or take.

Not entirely unreasonable, but still a little eyebrow raising...

jfulginiti

pilot
None
Kingsville - San Antonio - Kingsville = 320 miles, give or take.

Gas in Kingsville = $3.41/gal, give or take.

$180 in gas = 52 gallons, give or take.

320 miles/52 gallons = 6 mpg, give or take.

Not entirely unreasonable, but still a little eyebrow raising...

Maybe he's driving a Hummer H1 with a snow plow on the front.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Ironic ... as a legal alien can "prove residency" of over 90 days by the simple expediency of providing a copies of utility bills or a lease agreement.

F.Y.I., as I think this rule is still current:
Residency Requirements for Persons Acquiring Firearms (97R-687P)

I am hereby officially confused. Since when do you have to be a resident of a state to buy a long gun? Handgun sure, but I have routinely bought long guns handled by my FL FFL buddy and I just bought a Marlin .22 at the Cabela's at Hamburg PA with me being a MD resident without them batting an eye.

Did someone screw up here? Could be me, affected by the couple margarita's I just had down on the riverwalk (followed by the lobster tacos).

B

bacardi00185

You are right the 180 was a stretch it was more like 135 for the gas plus tooling around in San Antonio and lunch. No hookers on this trip and the blow comes from relatives in Colombia (no cost).

I was finally able to purchase said firearms today at Academy Sports in CC. However, this evolution was not easy either. First, I tried with the same orders that were rejected at Bass Pro, and again they were rejected at Academy. These orders were yet again rejected for lack of the phrase "Permanent Duty Station" or "Ultimate Duty Station". So I raced back to Kingsville to see what could be done about these orders. The best the people at Admin were able to do for me was to write a memorandum stating that these are in fact PCS orders to Kingsville, TX and that I will be here for a period of 20 weeks or more. I then raced back to CC to take this new memorandum to the gun counter and try to get my guns. Yet again I was met with the same response of it can not be done because the orders did not have the catch phrase. I told them the memorandum explains the whole situation just read it. Still nothing. Finally after speaking with the store manger and having him call the regional guy I was able to walk out with my guns. I ended up getting the Remington 700BDL in .270 and a Browning 12 gauge. Needless to say I am very pleased and can't wait to go to the range.

Next time I will make sure to just drop by the DMV to get a state ID card and hopefully relieve the ass pain that was the ordeal of trying to get a rifle and shotgun.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
I really don't understand why it is so difficult for law abiding citizens to obtain a gun that we are Constitutionally entitled to. And this is in Texas too, which I had assumed was a more gun friendly state.

Here in California, forget about it. It would be easier for me to buy a gun in the corner (no kidding) than to buy one the kosher way.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
I am hereby officially confused. Since when do you have to be a resident of a state to buy a long gun? Handgun sure, but I have routinely bought long guns handled by my FL FFL buddy and I just bought a Marlin .22 at the Cabela's at Hamburg PA with me being a MD resident without them batting an eye.

I think this could go either way and is dependant on the state. In CA you could be a non-CA resident and buy here, but you have to have military orders placing you in CA. I don't think you can buy a long gun w/o being a res or in the military...ive tried working with the system. However, when I was in IL resident I bought a shotgun in Wisconsin w/o hassle. I think it just depends what state you are in, I'm willing to bet PA is easier to deal with than IL or CA.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I am hereby officially confused. Since when do you have to be a resident of a state to buy a long gun? ....
You don't. Unless something has just recently changed and I'm unaware of it -- and I know you are up on this stuff, but for the inquiring minds:

You can cross state lines -- any of 'em -- to purchase a long gun w/ the "normal" requirements -- and cross back over to your home state.

For a handgun -- you must go through FFL-FFL transfer from the state of purchase to your local FFL. I.e., you cannot take physical possession of a handgun in another state and return "home"-- UNLESS you have an FFL or a C&R (and the weapon qualifies as C&R) or UNLESS it's a private party sale/transfer. Just make certain you are aware of and abide by all firearms laws for the jurisdictions you cross to RTB. :)

Military has to have PCS orders in hand ... OR ... the local FFL can check them online. If they don't know about this -- you might want to illuminate the retailer.

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Military has to have PCS orders in hand ... OR ... the local FFL can check them online. If they don't know about this -- you might want to illuminate the retailer.

Never knew this was possible. If gun shops offered/knew to do this...they could probably get some more business. All the hassle has completely turned me off to buying in CA, especially when CMP is a possibility.

mmmmmm Carbine!

FLY_USMC

pilot
I just wanted to say .270 is a good round. Shoots pretty flat and in some states...namely my home state...which is the greatest state in the union...it's the smallest caliber you can deer hunt with. So not only can you use it to hunt deer, but you can hunt coyotes and other game with out fear of them exploding.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
.it's the smallest caliber you can deer hunt with. So not only can you use it to hunt deer, but you can hunt coyotes and other game with out fear of them exploding.

Are you sure about that? There are states that don't allow the .223 but I've never heard of the .243/6mm nor the .257 sized bullets being excluded from deer anywhere. In fact, I consider the .25-06 / .257 Roberts / .257 Weatherby to be ideal. They've only gotten better as bullets have improved.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Am I the only one that thinks this whole escapade is absurd? The 2nd amendment clearly states that everyone has a right to bear arms. Even still, some idiot chimed in "but no it means only well regulated militia type people!" Well, aside from the fact that those people can't read, wouldn't active duty military constitute part a "well-regulated militia?" Hearing about stuff like this really pisses me off.

/threadjack