• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Troubles Running for the PFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick Daly

EA,

If you're just starting back up, I'd do three days of distance and two days of speed workouts per week. I'm not sure what type of weekly mileage you can handle right now, that's for you to figure out. Its recommended for when you're starting back up with running that you increase your mileage no greater than 20% from week to week. For your distance runs go out at a pace in which you feel comfortable, you don't need to push it because the speed workouts are what make you faster. The distance mileage simply builds a base for you and gives you more endurance. You will naturally be able to gradually increase your speed on the distance runs. I'd try to find some good 4,5, and 6 mile loops. Some extra advice and caution from my running experiences: stretch very well after you run, it helps fend off injuries; stay well hydrated throughout the day, that's pretty obvious; and i usually don't eat anything 3-4 hours before i run, it allows you to evade the side stitches and stomach cramps. Any other questions let me know. One other thing, I wouldn't take advice from more than one person who knows what they're talking about, every runner has different opinions about training. So if you think someone else has a routine that would fit better for you, please don't listen to me. Best of luck.

Pat

Sins

Originally posted by Patrick Daly
...three days of distance and two days of speed workouts per week. I'm not sure what type of weekly mileage you can handle right now, that's for you to figure out. Its recommended for when you're starting back up with running that you increase your mileage no greater than 20% from week to week. For your distance runs go out at a pace in which you feel comfortable, you don't need to push it because the speed workouts are what make you faster. The distance mileage simply builds a base for you and gives you more endurance. You will naturally be able to gradually increase your speed on the distance runs. I'd try to find some good 4,5, and 6 mile loops.
This is excellent advice.

klostman

the happy dance!
Hey Rob_ERAU, do you know a guy named Cody Scott? He's at Prescott at ERAU. If you do, tell him Nick Kloster said hey. He was in my platoon this summer at OCS. Good guy. Good luck with the application.
Nick

viv

Midshipman 4/Trash
Just thought I'd throw in a few words of experience from my CC/Track experience:

I wouldn't recommend doing more than two speed days per week unless you're accustomed to running seven days a week. Also, for easy distance days, remember that they are EASY DISTANCE days. I've always been told that when you are doing easy distance, you should be at a pace where you can talk to someone without getting winded(if you are running with a friend). The goal of easy distance days is just to get the distance complete and improve your aerobic base.

You should be sore the day after you do a hard speed workout. That doesn't mean you shouldn't go out and run; it is certainly possible to have a recovery day and still go out for a run. Just don't go out at a fast pace; you can even run a lesser distance than what you're accustomed to.

nobody's really mentioned anything about tempo workouts:
If you don't really feel like running hard intervals on the track (mile repeats, 800s, 400s) , maybe you should try a tempo run (example : run 4 miles at an 8 min/mile pace). It will help you learn how to set a good pace, and you should be breathing pretty hard at the end of the run if you pick a good pace. If you're not sure how you should feel during a tempo run, I've always heard that you should run at a pace that would make you feel a little winded if you tried to talk.

Check out these Runner's World training plans; any of the 5-K (3.125 miles) training plans would be great to improve PRT/PFT times:

http://www.runnersworld.com/home/0,1300,1-51-55,00.html?site=RunnersWorld

Status
Not open for further replies.