• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Troubles Running for the PFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

doubledown

I haven't run in a very long time and am now a sophmore in college looking to go to OCS this next summer. I just started working out again about 3 weeks ago. Right now i try my hardest to run a 24:00 3 mile run. I am only 5ft 5in tall and so my legs have to move much faster than that of the taller folk. At my prime about 4 years ago i could only run 7 1/2 minutes per mile. I know I will probably never run the 18:00 for the PFT but I would like to get to a 21:00. If anyone has any advice for me to increase time/speed, I would appreciate it.

Also, I run on a treadmill. I find that it allows me to run a any distance with keeping a consistant speed, otherwise I would probably unconciously slow down if I was out on the ground. Also, my neighborhood isn't the best (as far as crime) and it rains everyday here so running inside is better for me. Is it bad to run on a treadmill? I also take the stairs at school which is 7 floors high to gain additional strength in my legs.

One more thing. When I run, I get cramps a lot up in my ribs about 6inches above my belly button on my right side. I don't eat or drink anything for about 2 hours before I run (to do with burning off excess carbs and fat). The cramps make it difficult to finish the 3 miles a lot of times. I've heard that breathing incorrectly can cause cramps. Is there something I'm missing out on? Any help is much appreciated. Thank you.

Jeff

dolfinsafe

Jeff,
here are 2 sites that can definitely help you out with tips as to how to get back into running, and especially to avoid over-doing it in the beginning. They offer tips on breathing and other good stuff:
www.coolrunning.com
and runnersworld.com.
Hope that helps you out! Good Luck!

plumberphil

Selected PLC-C 186 Ground
I'll second the recommendation of coolrunnings.com and runnersworld.com. I've used coolrunnings for about a month and the running journal and trainer are invaluable in tracking your progress and reminding me how to best train. Also, get a subscription to runners world, it's a great way to keep motivated.

Jake

slasher

OCC 186 Bound
The treadmill will lull you into a false sense of security that you can complete the run a-ok on the turf. Truth is, it is MUCH easier to run 3 miles on a treadmill than it is on a track.

If you have no alternative but a treadmill, run with at least a 3-5% incline grade and no less than 4-5 miles, to compensate for the fact a treadmill does most of the work for you.

A good way to increase your endurance and time is to run sprints. Alternate days with a long, slow run and sprints. For example on sprint days: jog lap 1 at an easy pace, then run as fast as you can for lap 2, jog lap 3, sprint lap 4, etc. up to 3 miles (12 laps--or whatever you can do) Don't focus so much on time at this point as just finishing. Do the best you can and you'll see results sooner than you think.

Breathing is the most important part of running. Slowly breathe in through your nose and exhale through your mouth. It'll be difficult at first to maintain, but once you condition yourself to do it, the 3 miles will be a breeze. good luck.

usmcnole

Marine SNA, Advanced, HT ?
You say you don't drink anything before you run? You need to be drinking tons of water, and a good amount before you run. Cramps can come from breathing but they can also come from dehydration. Make sure you are drinking plenty of water before your run. I would also say get off the treadmill unless you absolutely have to. If crime is bad in your area, go find a school track somewhere to train, and get up early. Maybe the criminals won't be up by then.
Remember though, hydration is one of the most important things.

Oh yeah, as far as the quarter mile sprints.....they are invaluable as far as shaving minutes off of your time, but at this point in the game, if you have trouble finishing three miles then doing half of it sprinting probably isn't very realistic. You can do the repeats like that, but instead of a full out sprint on the fast lap, pace yourself during it. By this I mean run a few laps to warm up, then on your fast lap start out at your normal pace, open up your stride, gradually increase speed until you hit a full sprint for about the last 100 yards. That should get you where you want to go. Try doing this for 1 1/2 to 2 miles to start and then build.

Daedalus

Doubledown,
It's good to know what you want to do early, I find it looks like it is a lot harder to get into OCS without a University commissioning program....I'm not positive about Marines, but I think you have to go to OCS after you graduate so you can go to TBS etc, but it might be a good idea to look into ROTC or BDCP programs ASAP because you are still a soph.

perchul

Doubledown,
it seems you have a bunch of time to improve your running and just focus on developing a good regimen through the sites that others have prescribed, it will all come together. I measure in at a whopping 5'6 so I can't really help you to much in that category I guess all that height allows me to run the 3 mile in under 20 even though I rarely ever practice as I should. I do have a friend who is around your height who runs 3 miles in high 14's now he's been running his whole life and was more then likely blessed to be ungodly fast but I wouldn't think of your tiny little legs as being to much of a crutch. I also find the bad neighborhoods provide great incentives for running fast and you should take advantage of that. If you really feel insecure about it bring a rifle, the practice you will get from running with a weapon will surely pay off at OCS.

Banjo33

AV-8 Type
pilot
Quote: I also find the bad neighborhoods provide great incentives for running fast and you should take advantage of that. If you really feel insecure about it bring a rifle, the practice you will get from running with a weapon will surely pay off at OCS.

Very nice! hehe!

doubledown

Thanks for your help. As far as the drinking plenty of water before and during running, I've noticed that I get all that water sloshing around in my stomach and it gives me cramps and it makes it harder to run. I drink very small amounts of water before I run (like 2 ounces +/-). Should I be drinking more? I drink about 2 16oz glasses right as I start to cool down after the run. Any help is appreiciated.

gagirl

You may not want my 2 cents, but my husband and I would run we listened to USMC cadence tapes. Helped to keep you at a consistent pace as well.
Anne

Nikki

I drink all through out the day to keep hydrated, but I don't drink a lot right before running either because it causes cramps and weighs you down. I SIP on water right before, during and after running. My boxing instructor in Florida used to yell at me about drinking too much water between rounds because it will slow you down, so I assume the same goes for running.

Nikki

Oh, and as far as cadence, great idea. Sing your own though, helps you breath in rythym so you don't get as winded.

doubledown

Quote:"I drink all through out the day to keep hydrated, but I don't drink a lot right before running either because it causes cramps and weighs you down. I SIP on water right before, during and after running."

That's pretty much what I do with the drinking of water only I drink a lot of water right afterwards and then stretch. I also drink about 3/4 to 1 gallon of water a day, which I'm sure can't hurt. That should keep me pretty well hydrated, right?

Nikki

I drink about 1 gallon of water a day too. It is definitely more than the recommended daily dosage, but hey, I need it..lol Never down too much water at once either. It can cause you to be over-hydrated. In basic training we had a guy hospitalized because of over cooling his body.

xmonty

I dropped my PFT by two minutes over the summer by following the intermediate 5k training schedule at www.halhigdon.com . I find that prescribed training schedules provide much-needed rigor to my PT regimen -- knowing that I have to go out and run 6x100m intervals on a certain day, run three slow miles on another certain day, etc., keeps me focused.

One thing I found surprising about that particular training schedule is that it involves much more slow running than I'd expected. I used to be of the opinion that if you weren't out of breath, you weren't working hard enough, but I've since changed my mind. Try this out and stick to it, and you'll definitely get faster.

Status
Not open for further replies.