• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Troubles Running for the PFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patrick Daly

DoubleDown,

I'm going to give you my advice, whether you follow it or not is your choice, everyone trains different. I'll tell you right now I run varsity track at BU. My best 3 mile pft is 16:54. The only way you're going to get faster and get more endurance is by putting on the hard miles. Don't start off too hard, maybe 10-20 miles a week depending on where you're comfortable...from there you should increase your mileage from 15-20% per week. After about 3 weeks you can start incorporating speed workouts, like doing 300, 400, 500 meter sprints on a track, or one mile repeats, whatever you feel will work for you. As to running on a treadmill, I hate those things and think they're worthless. A 6:00 minute pace on those things feels like a 5:00 pace on concrete. Find a good place near your house to run (mainly trails, miles of grass). Try and stay off the concrete to avoid injury. As for the cramps/eating/water intake - you should be constantly hydrating all day. I always pound a bottle of water when i wake up in the morning, gives you a good start. Eat a balanced diet, never too much at one meal. Before I run I usually eat about 100 calories an hour to an hour and a half before the run - it facilitates the conversion of glycogen to glucose and it should take care of the cramps. Also, you may have weak abs right now, so I'd start doing situps after your run - I always do 300, but start off lower. It'll make you a stronger runner, get rid of the in-run cramps, and it will help you out on the pft. Main thing is, stay focused, don't overtrain, be consistent. Everyone is at different levels and should be doing different types of workouts, whatever is good for them. If you want help making a routine, email me with your info on what you've been doing. I usually run anywhere from 55 to 70 miles a week, depending, but i've been building up to that for about a year and a half. Let me know if you need anymore advice and I hope this helped out!

~Pat

JeffRohman

Hey,

I just took my PFT last Friday and did the 3-mile in 19:00... when I started running about a year ago I was at or around 24:00. The key to gaining speed is to do interval work. You can do it on a track like for instance 100 yd sprints or 440 yd sprints or just sprinting the curves on the track one day a week, but I think there is definitely a better way. First, my cousin who is now training for jets for the Marines in Corpis Christie would always tell me get your breathing down at the beginning and keep a rhythm going. Then let your body move in a fluid motion... almost streamlined. There are a lot of people who run and are all over the place- like hands hanging down too far to their side which makes them less aerodynamic and causes extra weight that your body has to work with. So keep your arms tight in and get a rhythm with how you breathe and move. Now for actual work out programs there are two that I used. The first phase is a Monday, Wednesday, Friday running routine. Monday run 4-6 miles at a comfortable pace- this will build your lung capacity, on Wednesday due a three mile timed run at your normal pace you would use for the PFT, and then on Friday do a two mile run more at a sprint... try to get it under 14:30. Do this for a few weeks- about 4-5 weeks. The next phase is a Monday- Friday routine. Monday do a two mile sprint run- like you did before, Tuesday run two miles with weight on your back either by getting a weighted vest or a back pack- neglect speed on this but don't drag yourself either, always keep the intensity up, Wednesday do a regular 3 mile timed run, Thursday do a 2 mile sprint run, and then on Friday a 2 mile run with weight on your back. Start doing this workout about 3 weeks before the PFT. On the week of the PFT just do a couple of short runs but rest and let your legs be fresh for the actual test. This is the routine that I found really helped shred time off of my run. It definitely worked for me and I stand by it. Everybodies body is different so experiment but above everything be consistent and do not ever quit. Good luck with the run and the PFT. Semper Fi.

contrail_dash

I started running last year after i hurt my knee playing club hockey at my college, I was around sea level which was nice, now I'm up at around 7,000. Its definetly harder to run distance here. My 5k time dropped from right around 21:00 to around 28:00. I was lucky just to finish! Anyways, I dont know what my point really is, but just that the more you run and the harder you push yourself the better you will get over time. Just be patient! Hell, I've only been here 2 months since that 5k, and I can already run 4 miles on the trails (lots of vertical change let me tell you!) here at a good pace. Just keep at it and you'll improve.

By the way, I'm not applying to Marine OCS, just Navy, but I figured that training for the Marine run will give me a huge advantage on the Navy run. Will find out soon!

Sins

Join your school's cross country team.

Go talk to the coach tomorrow. Tell him your goals. The season just started, you can still join.

I'm sure that everyone is going to be faster than you but who cares? Those gazelles running 5:25 miles will only motivate you. As long as you arent holding everyone back in the endurance runs, nobody will mind you being there.

If you can't join the team follow xmonty's advice: www.halhigdon.com (5k = 3.2 miles)

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Alright, I went out to the track this morning and ran two 1 mile repeats. I ran a 6:57 and a 6:59 respectively. I rested 5 min. in between, and at the end of the second mile I rested a bit and ran a 400, 200, 300, 400. I would call this my interval/speed day. How does this sound to you guys? I know it's not the best, but I've been out of running for a while, so I can only get better. I've been running for about the last month or so. Mind you, I ran without a partner or without any music (which is why I'm getting an MP3 player for Christman
headphones_125.gif
). Any pointers or what not? I will get my the time I want!!! Muahahahahahahaha
Thanks.

Rob_ERAU

Hey EA-6B keep up the hard work. You will get the run time you want. I use to run 4-miles everyday plus I'm here in Prescott, AZ close to 6k in the air. Talk about a work out, and my three mile run time up here was a constant 19:00 without elevation correction. I soon started to do a speed workout that resembles yours and then in a matter of weeks dropped that time to under 18:00. I think the speed work outs are crucial. They help adjust your legs to the pace you set to run a fast time. Keep up the work!

wildflyin69

Grad of OCS 187 Charlie Co. 3rd Plt.
Hey, I ran a 20:44 today for my PFT...a nice improvement from last week's 22:02! The key thing for me was that there was somebody running with me that was just a little bit faster than me, and it gave me something visible to continue to push myself through out the three mile run. I don't know if anybody else is like me, but coming from team sports, I find it easier to push myself to my limit or beyond if there is another person right there trying to edge me out.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Awesome job, Wildflyin. I'm the same way. If I have someone that runs a little fast than myself, than I know I'm going to run good. Good job on the hard work!

TNWhiskey

2ndLt Charlie Co TBS
Guys, look for a 5k to run on Thanksgiving morning...there's usually one almost everywhere to collect food/money for the hungry...I've got one in my small town and I'm going to run and see how well I can do in an actual 'race' vs. unknown opponents...I think it will be a good chance to see if I can find my own pace and push it. I've never run a race like this as I never ran XC...looking forward to it.

Patrick Daly

EA,

Keep up the speed workouts, that's what makes you fast. My cross country team at BU generally does 2 speed workouts a week and runs distance the rest of the days. I recommend running 4 days of distance per week and maintaining the speed workouts you've been doing, just do them faster, and vary them a little. One thing to make sure of is not to overtrain...my body tends to break down if i start doing more than 60 miles a week, so really strive to know your limits, thats how you make yourself a good runner.

Pat

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
Patrick,
Thanks for the advice. When you say 'run 4 distance days per week', how long are you talking about. Remember, I'm getting back into running, so no like 6 milers at 7 min/mile pace or anything yet. Thanks.

EA-6B1

PLC Jrs 1st Inc. Kilo-3
I'll prolly be running my first 'Official' PFT first to mid january, so that gives me about 5 weeks to get my run time to something standard for the Initial PFT. I need some running advice from you guys. What do I need to be working on as far as long distance runs vs. speed runs? I need to be around 21-22 min by then, and now I'm at around 22+. I guess that means I need to drop atleast a minute or more for it.
Thanks guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.