• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transitioning to the reserves with 12 years Active Duty and 5 years prior reserve time

mountainman

Folks,

Looking for some advice/mentorship here. I'm currenty a 1310 LCDR on active duty planning to separate next summer at roughly 12 years of active service. I have 5 years prior reserve time from when I was enlisted in the Navy Reserve during college. Based on my pay entry base date I'll be close to hitting that 20 year mark which should give me some type of reserve retirement if I can find a way to get a few more good years.

I've considered flying for a VR squadron, but the reality is that the corporate jobs I'm targeting post-Navy do not provide for anywhere near the flexibility required to be a member of those squadrons.

So I'm looking elsewhere within the Navy reserves to see what might be available. I'm stationed in Pt Mugu and will most likely be remaining in the area after separation. I'm also considering the CA National Guard and Air National Guard to see what options are available.

Any recommendations for reserve units I should consider in this area in either of the branches I mentioned? I've considered just going IRR if that is a viable option giving the changing regs?

Thanks for your time.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A realistic option in your case might be a VTU, where you will have to drill for free but can do AT and ADT paid and get the credit for retirement in a little over 2 years if you front load your last year with points. And you aren't eligible for mobilization.

AFUAW

pilot
Or a combination of the two. Sounds like you need three more good years. You can do a year and change in a paid SELRES billet then transition to the VTU.

You get a two year deferment from mobilization if you join SELRES straight from active duty. Keep in mind that means that your mobilization orders can start at two years and a day. They can tag you for mobilization 6+ months before that two years is up.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
You cannot do paid AT in the VTU. You can only do paid ADT, paid ADSW or MOB (volunteer), as well as unpaid AT.

Any VTU questions, please let me know as I am VTU and I have a LCDR pilot in my VTU unit who came off of active duty and I can put you in touch with him.

And yes, what @AFUAW said. You can be tagged well before your dwell ends with a Ready Load Date (RLD) that starts the day after your 2 year deferment ends. If you have a TS/SCI then count on it. They have a big boner for O4 pilots/NFO's with TS/SCI's and they are getting tagged with RLD's just after their dwell ends.

See if you can log in here (CAC Enabled): https://www.bol.navy.mil/

Then select ASOSH which is your annual statement of service. It will tell you how many points and how many years you have that count towards retirement.

Re, Reserve VR Squadron jobs, while I am no pilot, other Reserve pilots have told me these Reserve VR squadron jobs are very "clicky". That is, you have to know someone.

Have you considered changing your designator on your way to the Reserve? I am an IP/1825 and we get many a pilot coming off of active duty who come to our community some of whom pick up O5 just by sheer numbers math (we are a very small community). Last couple of O5 boards have been hovering around 85% select rate. You'll be in a training status for at least 36 months and cannot be MOB'd during that time. If you wanted to do 1815/CW I think their qualification time is 4 years but I'd have to check.

Last edited:

nodropinufaka

Just seperated from AD myself. I am an 1830 and was in a very similiar situation as yourself. I am at 15 years with 5 active from reserves in college and 10 active duty.

You will get the TS1 MAS code if you affiliate with no break in service. I seperated on the first of the month and affiliated with reserves the 2nd of the month. It is EXTREMELY important you affiliate to the reserves and CTO gives you the reserves orders the day after your sep from active duty. Otherwise it is a break in service and the GI bill stuff will get messed up if you transferred it.

The TS1 MAS code will defer mobilization for 24 months.

Your anniversary date will be what it was prior to going active duty.

All your active duty time is going to not be shown in your record and you will have to mail PERS 912 a copy of your DD-214 and request its added in. They are backlogged for 7-8 months from what I understand.

All your AQDs won't transfer either and you will again have to email pers your letters for your AQDs

All your NOBC wont transfer and you will have to email pers your DD-214 for them to be added.

It was a nightmare coming from active duty and I would not have done the reserves if I wasn't so vested and close to retirement.

PM me if you got any more questions. You really have to stay on top of CTO or they may drop the ball and you get a break in service. That almost happened to me.

The trick to surviving in the reserves, at least for me, is to just not care that much. There are tons of people who are super gung ho (mostly the non prior service DCOs) and I just let them have it. I punched all my tickets for promotion while active and am not just cruising. I may go VTU at the 18 years mark.

snake020

Contributor
Have you considered changing your designator on your way to the Reserve? I am an IP/1825 and we get many a pilot coming off of active duty who come to our community some of whom pick up O5 just by sheer numbers math (we are a very small community). Last couple of O5 boards have been hovering around 85% select rate. You'll be in a training status for at least 36 months and cannot be MOB'd during that time. If you wanted to do 1815/CW I think their qualification time is 4 years but I'd have to check.

If you want to go down this tedious path of PQS rushing, PM me as I transitioned as a O-4 and am going through this fun. Enjoying being here though; the IWC has been good.

bubblehead

Registered Member
Contributor
If you want to go down this tedious path of PQS rushing, PM me as I transitioned as a O-4 and am going through this fun. Enjoying being here though; the IWC has been good.
This is one of many mobilization deferment options available.

And, as an IP, promotion opportunities abound. Intel/1835 promotion opportunities suck b*lls.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I've considered flying for a VR squadron, but the reality is that the corporate jobs I'm targeting post-Navy do not provide for anywhere near the flexibility required to be a member of those squadrons.

You don’t need any flexibility to fly in a VR squadron. Your front office is going to want to hear you say you are going to be a max participant reservist, but most say that and then it’s back to reality. Reservists are the boss in VR squadrons. The FTS guys pick up the slack. I literally go 3 or 4 months without seeing some of our reserve pilots. If you can give one weekend a month, or mission and a two week det at some point during the year, then that’s more than a lot of reservists give. The time commitment for a VR reserve pilot is not tough if you’re just trying to knock out good years and no more.

Sam I am

Average looking, not a farmer.
pilot
Contributor
I did 9 Active Duty Years followed by 5 Sel-Res and then spent 6 years in the IRR. My recommendation is go to the VTU if for no other reason than you'll have access to some type of Admin support. If you have a CAC card you can hit the NRTC Courses behind the fire wall and pick up some gravy points there. If you need to you can always do Naval War College from within the IRR if you haven't already picked up your JPME Qual and squeeze a couple years out of that too. Having said all that...VTU.

mountainman

Thank you all for your replies. They are extremely helpful and appreciated.

I think that VTU makes the most sense here. I don't need the SELRES money and don't care to promote, nor do I want to see the CAOC or Bahrain again for that matter:) I'm going to PM some of the folks on here to get more details on VTU.

Regards,