• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Transition to FTS

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Thanks. Is there an FTS DH bonus?

After your commitment is up, if <15 years of service. Worth it if you're doing 20. Otherwise...

Yes. Like everything, things change. When I got my bonus, the clock started when I got selected for FTS (which for me, was a year before I showed up), so I only had to wait a year and then I could apply. They've cinched down on that for the moment, especially with the airlines, but timelines and requirements always change. BL: When and what you're eligible for won't be certain until you're eligible for it.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
How does an FTS DH tour compare to an active duty one? Do they all hate their life too?

No. Parts are going to suck, as with all Navy jobs, but you're no longer part of the AC circus herd, so life tends to be a little more reality-based.

From what I've seen/been told (as a SELRES with my nose pressed against the glass), it depends on what kind of unit you're in. Sometimes in hardware units the priority has to go to keeping the SELRES current, and someone has to keep the office lights on, so the Reservists get the good deals and priority for flight time. The same is true with SAUs, but since you're mostly supporting other people's flight skeds vice writing your own, there are more opportunities to jump on pop-up flights and road trips. I know our FTS in the VAW SAU got to fly a lot, and got plenty of good deals (e.g., supporting -111 in Key West) as well.

Jules12

pilot
Is there a way I could apply for FTS during my Training Officer tour and then decide based on what FTS community I get selected for to either stay in Active Duty or go FTS?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Yes. Getting accepted doesn't lock you into having take it. But if you decline, don't expect to get a second chance.

SlickAg

pilot
Is there a way I could apply for FTS during my Training Officer tour and then decide based on what FTS community I get selected for to either stay in Active Duty or go FTS?
If you’re eligible for VTJ they’re going to get first dibs on you. They’re really hurting for bodies. Buyer beware.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Yes. Getting accepted doesn't lock you into having take it. But if you decline, don't expect to get a second chance.

I’ve heard that declining one FTS selection doesn’t necessarily eliminate you from future consideration. Are individuals tracked that declined FTS?

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
I’ve heard that declining one FTS selection doesn’t necessarily eliminate you from future consideration. Are individuals tracked that declined FTS?

You aren’t eliminated by default. The boards and communities are small though, so an individual is playing the odds to decline the offer with the expectation of getting selected again.

I know one guy who picked up HSC FTS, turned it down, switched to VT SELRES, and I’m pretty sure he’s a VT FTS now, which was what he wanted.

Jules12

pilot
If you’re eligible for VTJ they’re going to get first dibs on you. They’re really hurting for bodies. Buyer beware.
Okay thanks for the info fellas. So is it standard to 'rush' a specific unit for FTS in order to have a particular command pull for you to join them?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You aren’t eliminated by default. The boards and communities are small though, so an individual is playing the odds to decline the offer with the expectation of getting selected again.

I know one guy who picked up HSC FTS, turned it down, switched to VT SELRES, and I’m pretty sure he’s a VT FTS now, which was what he wanted.

I think I know of a guy that either did the same thing or just turned down FTS and was able to pick it up again, as well, but can't remember the details. I think at the end of the day, it will boil down to how bad they need you.

Okay thanks for the info fellas. So is it standard to 'rush' a specific unit for FTS in order to have a particular command pull for you to join them?

Let's just put it this way...it's a small community and it won't hurt. That said, if it's a larger community, getting to that specific squadron isn't necessarily related to the board process. A CO/XO can't talk directly to the board (other than via a letter or being on the board), but a CO/XO talks to the detailer all the time.

nugget81

pilot
Absolutely. You don’t have to accept a redesignation to FTS if you don’t want the community that took you.

This isn’t true. I declined FTS after being selected by a community I didn’t desire or ask for. I spoke with the FTS Aviation Officer Community Manager before doing this, and he assured me that the board members don’t know if you’ve applied previously, let alone declined a redesignation. I applied again to a later board and was accepted to the community I was looking for. Remember, FTS is also hurting for people right now. Take a look at the new FTS ADHRB if you need proof.

So is it standard to 'rush' a specific unit for FTS in order to have a particular command pull for you to join them?
Rushing is for SELRES only—in fact it’s required to have an interview with the front office to be considered. But for FTS it’s different. I tried rushing a unit for FTS and was told to stop as it could give the impression of a squadron trying to play favorites. FTS selection occurs in a bit of a vacuum, so if you get chosen and decide to accept, they’ll ask you to rank your choices from all the possible squadrons in that community. Not getting your first or second choice is a risk you’ll have to weigh.

Good luck!

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Sometimes people's circumstances change between the time that they apply for the board and when the board results come out (although the timeline is usually pretty short, like less than a couple months), so there are "good" reasons out there for changing your mind.

Being offered a community you didn't as for... ha, that's a good one. And I totally believe it happened these days... I don't think it would have happened 15 years ago though, there way more applicants than slots then- things started getting turned on their heads in FTS aviation around 2012 or so, give or take a couple years.

If you do turn it down but plan to apply again on a future board, I'd be prepared to explain your decision to whomever wrote you a reference or endorsement. That seems like the courteous thing to do.