• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Trailer for "The Guardian"

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
You have a better chance of winning the lottery then being attacked by a shark. There's plenty of other sh!t to worry about.

-Odds (lifetime) of dying in a shark attack: about 1 in 1.8 million (for years in which there was a shark attack death).
-Odds of dying in a car crash: 1 in 228.
-In a plane (or other powered aircraft) crash: 1 in 6,137. (way higher for pilots obviously)
-From a fall: 1 in 229.
-In a lightning strike: 1 in 56,439.
-In an earthquake: 1 in 120,161.
-In a flood: 1 in 413,887.
-By being shot to death by someone else: 1 in 315.
-From an accidental fireworks discharge: 1 in 744,997.

I'm just gonna try to keep the plane from crashing, sharks can stay on the back burner.

I think those odds get a bit worse when you are in a black wetsuit (look like a seal), hanging on a hoist below a helo. Helo rotor wash is known to attract sharks. Something about the vibrations the rotor wash puts into the water sounding like a dinner bell to old Jaws.

We were practicing using a grappling hook to retrieve debris in the water an had a big Blue Shark hit the hook.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
You have a better chance of winning the lottery then being attacked by a shark. There's plenty of other sh!t to worry about.

-In a lightning strike: 1 in 56,439.

I'm just gonna try to keep the plane from crashing, sharks can stay on the back burner.

One of my old roomates got hit by lightening and survived. His callsign was "Sparky" after that.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I think those odds get a bit worse when you are in a black wetsuit (look like a seal), hanging on a hoist below a helo. Helo rotor wash is known to attract sharks. Something about the vibrations the rotor wash puts into the water sounding like a dinner bell to old Jaws.

We were practicing using a grappling hook to retrieve debris in the water an had a big Blue Shark hit the hook.

Other than your anecdotal evidence, show me one piece of evidence that backs up your statement. EVERY time I've hovered over sharks, they move away very quickly, usually before the wash actually catches up and is over them.