• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Took ASTB. Got extremely average scores. What are my chances?

NevarYalnal

What are you talking about 90 and 120? If I take it today I can wait a whole year to take it again. But it can't be any sooner than 30 days.
minimum wait time. between attempt 1 and 2, you must wait at least 30 days, between 2 and 3 it's either 90 or 120, not just 30 days.

BDavis11

Contributor
minimum wait time. between attempt 1 and 2, you must wait at least 30 days, between 2 and 3 it's either 90 or 120, not just 30 days.
Interesting because I got told (after my second attempt) if I need to test again They can schedule me 30 days later if I need it.

NevarYalnal

Interesting because I got told (after my second attempt) if I need to test again They can schedule me 30 days later if I need it.
did some digging on the google machine and it looks like it depends on the testing medium (whether paper based or computer). most recent SECNAVINST I could find: https://www.secnav.navy.mil/doni/Di...y Training and Education Services/1532.1A.pdf

Table on page 16 lists it out, but if you're taking the ASTB then it should always be computerized (APEX) so in that case it would be 31 days between all attempts. if for whatever reason the place you go to still administers paper based then that can result in a different wait period.

What I do find interesting is that you can take the OAR and the Aviation sections separately (but within 30 days of each another - called a "merged test"). It might help people with focusing their studies on one portion vs another. Interested parties should probably check with your recruiter if that's still an option.

0621 Hertz

If you need to test again. Sounds like you at least qualify.

So its better to shoot your shot and see if you get in, instead of taking it a third (and last) time and screwing yourself by failing. Happened to a buddy of mine, he passed first two times, took it a third only to be more competitive. He's now a SWO.

exNavyOffRec

If you need to test again. Sounds like you at least qualify.

So its better to shoot your shot and see if you get in, instead of taking it a third (and last) time and screwing yourself by failing. Happened to a buddy of mine, he passed first two times, took it a third only to be more competitive. He's now a SWO.
It is indeed better to take a shot with what you have while studying in case you need to retest, than retest get a lower score and then need to study and retest again in order to actually go to board.

BDavis11

Contributor
did some digging on the google machine and it looks like it depends on the testing medium (whether paper based or computer). most recent SECNAVINST I could find: https://www.secnav.navy.mil/doni/Directives/01000 Military Personnel Support/01-500 Military Training and Education Services/1532.1A.pdf

Table on page 16 lists it out, but if you're taking the ASTB then it should always be computerized (APEX) so in that case it would be 31 days between all attempts. if for whatever reason the place you go to still administers paper based then that can result in a different wait period.

What I do find interesting is that you can take the OAR and the Aviation sections separately (but within 30 days of each another - called a "merged test"). It might help people with focusing their studies on one portion vs another. Interested parties should probably check with your recruiter if that's still an option.
LOL. I already knew. I did this research a few months ago when I first was trying to find a location that administers the test for active duty. I didn't want to rebuttal again without hard facts and at the time I didn't have the time to go find it. I could see why that would apply to the paper test. When I took the astb the second time, I was talking with the proctor and he was explaining the whole "merge test" to me. That is a nice little secret.

exNavyOffRec

LOL. I already knew. I did this research a few months ago when I first was trying to find a location that administers the test for active duty. I didn't want to rebuttal again without hard facts and at the time I didn't have the time to go find it. I could see why that would apply to the paper test. When I took the astb the second time, I was talking with the proctor and he was explaining the whole "merge test" to me. That is a nice little secret.
I don't know if paper versions still actually exist, several years ago they put out a memo to return all paper exams. It could be there are a few floating around out there or it could be one of those things where they technically "exist" but are not used.

BDavis11

Contributor
I don't know if paper versions still actually exist, several years ago they put out a memo to return all paper exams. It could be there are a few floating around out there or it could be one of those things where they technically "exist" but are not used.
That is what I was thinking as well.

Mike74

Took the ASTB about a month ago now, waiting on my re-test come Tuesday. As per the printout that I am sure we all received with our score on it, the time between attempt 1 and 2 can be no less than 31 days. The time between attempt 2 and 3 can be no less than 91 days.

BDavis11

Contributor
Took the ASTB about a month ago now, waiting on my re-test come Tuesday. As per the printout that I am sure we all received with our score on it, the time between attempt 1 and 2 can be no less than 31 days. The time between attempt 2 and 3 can be no less than 91 days.
False.

Attachments

• C44C737B-E845-446A-82C6-8CE35EDE543D.jpeg
    C44C737B-E845-446A-82C6-8CE35EDE543D.jpeg
    815.9 KB · Views: 45

Waveoff

Per Diem Mafia
None
My personal experience, selected SNA through ROTC with Mech engineering gpa 3.0, scores 7/6/6 (FO wings due to anthro...)