• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Took ASTB. Got extremely average scores. What are my chances?

KKelly1668

Hello all and much respect to all the veterans who see this.
I am awaiting the selection for OCS participants. My scores on the ASTB-E are a 51/6/6/6, which I feel is pretty average. My GPA in college ended up as a 3.0, as a Sales Management major. My major GPA was actually much higher, a 3.64; my first few years in college were rough.
Do you think there is a chance for me? Obviously it depends on the applicant pool, so I know there isn’t a yes or no answer, just looking for advice to see if I should try for another job or another branch.

KKelly1668

Basically, shoot your shot. Adjust your course as necessary. You’ll never know if you don’t apply.
I agree, I really want this opportunity. My packet has already been sent out. Do you think I should talk to the Air Force or Army?

exNavyOffRec

I agree, I really want this opportunity. My packet has already been sent out. Do you think I should talk to the Air Force or Army?

I would study and prepare to take again in case you aren't selected.

This isn't necessarily directed at you but I have seen 6's be described as "average" over and over again, 6 is the minimum qualifying score, nothing below that is looked at by the board, 9 is the max qualifying score, I would consider average more like a 7. In the time when a PQ letter was not required to be seen by the board and the minimum score was 5 it was rare that a person with 5's or 6's would be selected, 7's were 50/50 and 8's adn 9's were almost a sure thing. The requirement of a PQ letter has thinned out the applicant pool so now you get more people with 6's selected.

basically just study and try again if not selected, that is what many have done before and you can too.

KKelly1668

I would study and prepare to take again in case you aren't selected.

This isn't necessarily directed at you but I have seen 6's be described as "average" over and over again, 6 is the minimum qualifying score, nothing below that is looked at by the board, 9 is the max qualifying score, I would consider average more like a 7. In the time when a PQ letter was not required to be seen by the board and the minimum score was 5 it was rare that a person with 5's or 6's would be selected, 7's were 50/50 and 8's adn 9's were almost a sure thing. The requirement of a PQ letter has thinned out the applicant pool so now you get more people with 6's selected.

basically just study and try again if not selected, that is what many have done before and you can too.
Thank you for the reply.
From what I can assume from the information that has been given to me is that there is more of a chance that I don’t get selected than I actually get selected. Which is definitely disconcerting. My naval officer recruiter assured me that 6’s were competitive and my OAR was competitive. I may need to re-evaluate that and start preparing for a retake.
I appreciate the advice.

BDavis11

Contributor
Hello all and much respect to all the veterans who see this.
I am awaiting the selection for OCS participants. My scores on the ASTB-E are a 51/6/6/6, which I feel is pretty average. My GPA in college ended up as a 3.0, as a Sales Management major. My major GPA was actually much higher, a 3.64; my first few years in college were rough.
Do you think there is a chance for me? Obviously it depends on the applicant pool, so I know there isn’t a yes or no answer, just looking for advice to see if I should try for another job or another branch.
This is becoming a redundant question on this forum. People are starting to ask it everyday. If I was a betting man, which I tend to be, I would say that you most likely got trolled with that "42%." There is no real way to gauge your chances. Search the forum for the recent board spreadsheets and see everyone's scores that have ProRec-Y and gauge it for yourself. Not trying to throw any shade, but some with high scores don't make it and some with low scores do. Depends on how your overall package is. The best advice was to be ready to retake the astb if not selected with your 6's. I also scored 56 6/6/6 and hoping for the best but know I will retake the astb if not selected.

exNavyOffRec

Thank you for the reply.
From what I can assume from the information that has been given to me is that there is more of a chance that I don’t get selected than I actually get selected. Which is definitely disconcerting. My naval officer recruiter assured me that 6’s were competitive and my OAR was competitive. I may need to re-evaluate that and start preparing for a retake.
I appreciate the advice.
A few of the other threads on previous boards have had scores listed of who has picked and who hasn't, 6's are more of a long-shot but still possible. Most of the recruiters will tell every applicant the same thing, they are "competitive" "great scores" "one of the best applicants they have seen", this is all the BS that is learned from enlisted recruiters and I don't like it because it causes recruiters to lose credibility.

KKelly1668

One more question sir,

From what I understand is that there is no possibility for a retake if you wait long than 90 days. I completed my test before the Sept. deadline in August.

If I am not selected and I have waited more than 90 days am I just SOL, or will I have the option to try to get a better score.

BDavis11

Contributor
One more question sir,

From what I understand is that there is no possibility for a retake if you wait long than 90 days. I completed my test before the Sept. deadline in August.

If I am not selected and I have waited more than 90 days am I just SOL, or will I have the option to try to get a better score.
You an take as long you need in between tests. You only get 3 chances in your lifetime. The is no 90 day rule. You do have to wait at least 30 days in between tests though.

NevarYalnal

You an take as long you need in between tests. You only get 3 chances in your lifetime. The is no 90 day rule. You do have to wait at least 30 days in between tests though.

The wait between taking it the 2nd time and your third (and final) time is longer than 30 days. I forget if it's 90 or 120 days though.

BDavis11

Contributor
The wait between taking it the 2nd time and your third (and final) time is longer than 30 days. I forget if it's 90 or 120 days though.
What are you talking about 90 and 120? If I take it today I can wait a whole year to take it again. But it can't be any sooner than 30 days.