• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Today's Navy or your Grandfather's

Would you rather serve, or have served in today's Navy or the Navy of the 40's and 50

• My Grandfather's Navy

Votes: 51 51.5%
  • Today's more modern Navy

Votes: 48 48.5%

• Total voters

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Shit Bunk... You have no idea what fun we had.

Steve
That's right ... go into a bar in Hong Kong -- Red Lips in Kowloon or Suzi Wong in Wanchai, for example -- get into "trouble" and shout "HEY NAVY" and you would immediately be surrounded by several sailors/O's who would make sure you got out of there unscathed. :)

Something akin to a '40's movie ... but it was "real" and alive in the 60's/70's. :sleep_125

brownshoe

Contributor
That's right ... go into a bar in Hong Kong -- Red Lips in Kowloon or Suzi Wong in Wanchai, for example -- get into "trouble" and shout "HEY NAVY" and you would immediately be surrounded by several sailors/O's who would make sure you got out of there unscathed. :)

Something akin to a '40's movie ... but it was "real" and alive in the 60's/70's. :sleep_125

Yes it was a different time... God.... thanks for the memories:)

Steve

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Yup, wasn't that true? I was Shore Patrol O in HK one night in the early '80s. Even then we took pretty good care of our own. The briefing was, take care of our own at all costs, ask questions and charge later, if necessary.

snake020

Contributor
Masterbates and I had a convo on this subject a couple of months ago (MB chime in if you remember) and if I had a choice I'd go with old school Naval Aviation. PC as discussed previously is one factor, but the mission was more defined back then. Shoot down the Zero in the Pacific. Shoot down the MiG over Korea or Vietnam.

Maybe one of the current winged fighter guys can give more accurate insight, but it seems to me those were the days to be a TACAIR guy in the military or the Air Force and fighters are now in the same deter role as the boomer sub force.

MasterBates

I voted 40/50s

New and exiting planes coming out all the time, as opposed to flying the same clapped out bird that was old when you got it for a 20 year career.

NO PC. PC is gay.

No women other than nurses. Sorry ladies, but the concessions we make for 90% of the "females" are not worth it for the 10% of you that are worth having around.

nugget81

pilot
Voted for 40's/50's. I haven't been in the Navy long enough to truly see all the pro's and con's that come along, but I have always been fascinated with the WWII time frame. Technological advances came quickly, and events that occurred then defined the world for the next 50 years. That, and Corsairs are very cool.

Intruder Driver

All Weather Attack
pilot
What do you think are the biggest differences between the Navy of the 40's and 50's and today?

I can only speak from my personal experience in the '70's, '80's and pre-Clinton '90's, but:

1. Olangapo

2. Pensacola trained jet pilots (VT-4)

3. No drinking within 50' of an airplane, no smoking within 12 hours of flying

4. Computers didn't fly airplanes; pilots flew airplanes

5. Strippers and Klondike at the Oceana O'Club

6. Cubi specials

7. Cruise was saying goodbye to the family and heading off to see the loved ones

8. Mode 1? WTF was that (oh yeah, I covered that in #4)

9. Drinking the water on a carrier kept you regular

10. We didn't need beer days. Our JO bunkrooms were sufficiently stocked.

11. Grumman Ironworks still ruled

12. Tailhook was a rite of passage

13. PC was just half of PCOD

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
... your list ....
EXCELLENT commentary ... as regards #7:

We once met the CONNIE at MOMP -- Mid-Ocean-Meeting-Point --you know how the Navy loves it's acronyms ... and as the two ships passed close abeam -- CONNIE heading east, us heading west -- they unrolled a HUGE banner on the flight deck which read:

"YOU TAKE CARE OF OUR HOOKERS, WE'LL TAKE CARE OF YOUR WIVES" :D

dsc01978qx4.jpg
dsc01979uz1.jpg
dsc01982zx8.jpg
dsc01983ox7.jpg
dsc01984pm6.jpg
dsc01986co6.jpg

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
If I was a dude I would have to say old Navy, but I actually like being in the Navy so definitely I like it better today.

Pags

N/A
pilot
Coffee made from boiler water with corn starch thrown in to keep the scale down in your mug like my grandfather told me about.

No shortage of flight hours and birds to keep the proficiency up. No TnR or WTIs and tactics briefs, but somehow still managing to operate in a joint environment...http://www.thedonovan.com/archives/2007/10/tins_numbah_ten.html

Of course, I won't turn my nose up on inventions like shoulder harnesses and rad alt hold and safer aircraft with a better mishap rate.