• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Today's Navy or your Grandfather's

Would you rather serve, or have served in today's Navy or the Navy of the 40's and 50

• My Grandfather's Navy

Votes: 51 51.5%
  • Today's more modern Navy

Votes: 48 48.5%

• Total voters

FUPaladin

couldabeen
Don't ask/Don't tell? I guess we had it back then.

Definitely had the don't tell part, but I'm pretty sure you could ask. It's my understanding that thousands of potential recruits were classified as 4-F in WWII because they didn't give a satisfactory answer when asked, "Do you like girls?" Wonder how many of those were just shy... :D

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Definitely had the don't tell part, but I'm pretty sure you could ask. ... :D
ACTUALLY ... you could ask AND tell in the 'ol days --- but in practice we didn't ask too much, if ever. We'd just usually TELL the guy in question -- like:

"HEY!!! You're a queer". :eek:

Subtle stuff .... :)

brownshoe

Contributor
I don’t know about the 40’s and 50’s but I can tell you what it was like in the 60's...it was great! PC was not even a phrase back then. It was hard work, but we really did have fun. Plus all the sailors and officers in the squadron and on the base stuck together and helped each other out personally and professionally. We'd work on each other’s cars, we’d baby sit, house sit and generally helped each other all of the time.

In my squadron house keys and car keys were left at the duty office while someone was away. You’d maybe be going off duty and the OOD would ask…“Hey are you going off base tonight? Could you take this mail to Mr. ____’s wife?” Also remember that the draft was still in effect back then so we’d get a better “cross section” of people. (I think you know what I mean.)
I served with some really smart, sharp educated people who worked hard and were a great help to the effort. Those people needed to get their time out of the way so they enlisted instead of waiting for the draft. People like that aren’t in the service today unless they want to serve. And I’m talking mostly enlisted not the officers. But those were the “grunts” that got the work done.

Now to "prop's":)

We kept a T-28 in Yuma… And VF-45, a sister squadron, had an A-1E, what fun back seat rides!

Steve

BTW... I didn't vote I'm just sharing some good times.:) (Nice thread BTW.)

Attachments

• 140570.jpg
    140570.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 58
  • AD-5Skyraider3.jpg
    AD-5Skyraider3.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 57

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
.....I can tell you what it was like in the 60's...it was great! PC was not even a phrase back then. ....all the sailors and officers in the squadron and on the base stuck together and helped each other out personally and professionally....

That about sums it all up.

And don't talk to me about "accountability" in today's Navy. Make no mistake: we were ALWAYS HELD ACCOUNTABLE.

Thinking otherwise is the kind of "feel good" revisionist modern-day military crap that is ruining the military in today's world. It's "code" for "someone is always looking over YOUR shoulder" .... to make sure YOU do the "right" thing. The PC thing. The post-Tailhook debacle "right thing".

Brownshoe --- a former "E" --- said it perfectly. Any questions??? :)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
I'd take yesterday's Navy if I could have the internet, is that possible. Flying a Hellcat or Corsair off the boat would have been the ultimate IMO.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Good point! I wanted to fly SPADs for that very reason. This is what I wish my Navy '40's self-portrait looked like:

f6fmccampbelldp9.jpg

Thread Jack The best pic of McCambell no doubt. Anyone know if there was any truth to the rumor that a few years ago there was a call to remove the kill marks from his aircraft at the Naval Aviation Museum in P-Cola. The word was that a certain group felt it was not PC in this day and age to show Japanese kill marks.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Thread Jack The best pic of McCambell no doubt. Anyone know if there was any truth to the rumor that a few years ago there was a call to remove the kill marks from his aircraft at the Naval Aviation Museum in P-Cola. The word was that a certain group felt it was not PC in this day and age to show Japanese kill marks.

Not a rumor ... but did it happen??? I have not been there for 4-5 years.