• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To go Nuke or not to go Nuke....do you have an option?

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
I guess this means my interviews Thurs. should be on the easier side...

On the flipside, I really hope they don't start drafting people into the program, for the same reasons I wouldn't want the military to have a draft in general.

KimberlyD

As someone mentioned, yes the CVN's require a great deal more Nuclear Engineers. My Dad is a retired Navy Nuke Engineer & now works on the CVN-X project for Northrop-Grumman, Nuke is the future of Surface Navy as the contracts stand right now however, there are glitches, none of these ships are being delivered on time & I always know there is another problem or modification or whatever based upon my Dad's travels, somewhere in WI is where a lot of the testing of the reactors is done & my Dad always comes home saying "f***ing Sanjay screwed up again". I wouldn't worry that any of you are going to actually end up doing this but Nuke School does suck, my Dad went there as a student & as an instructor, a friend of my husband & mine just finished & my Dad wants his # to recruit him to CVN-X, as far as what my Dad says, this guy's contract will be up before they can put him to use in the Surface Navy. So, I hope that relaxes many of you but seeing as how this is an aviation forum, any hint of going SWO probably sucks.

SubtoSky

Officer NOooo...
None
Nuke?

For all its worth my six years in nuclear power was the best time of my life, and then I started flying and uh... I digress. It is just like like they tell us here in flight school, it doesn't really matter what you fly, it will be the very best platform ever. Going nuke definately has its up sides. If you would like to dicuss nuke land with someone who doesn't think it sucks, just shoot a pm. Also if you are curious how I avoided getting sucked back into the program...

Cheers

metsRdirty88

So several of the Midshipmen and one OC at my unit were brought in to a meeting with the XO/CO and told that they were going to have nuke interviews because recruiting was 30 short this year. Has this been happening anywhere else?
The same thing happened in our unit at Norwich, we were forced to fill out applications, however, we were told by our Lt. that we are not forced to go to the interview, just fill out the application and the Captain in charge reinforced this, so the application is forced but the interview is not....

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Seriously though....did they just run out of 19 year old A-school nuke grads to draft into the STA-21N program?

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
They were desperate here this year. They pulled my whole class in for a series of rah-rah go nuke briefs, and then went through the selection list and pulled all the prior nuke power school guys as well as anyone who had ever expressed the slightest interest in nuke, and sent them off to interviews. One of my friends who got pilot was told he was being switched to nuke because he was a prior nuke power school guy. Luckily, he was able to plead his case directly to the admiral when he went for his nuke interview, and he was given NFO instead. If anything, the whole debacle just bred even more cynicism here.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
They were desperate here this year. They pulled my whole class in for a series of rah-rah go nuke briefs, and then went through the selection list and pulled all the prior nuke power school guys as well as anyone who had ever expressed the slightest interest in nuke, and sent them off to interviews. One of my friends who got pilot was told he was being switched to nuke because he was a prior nuke power school guy. Luckily, he was able to plead his case directly to the admiral when he went for his nuke interview, and he was given NFO instead. If anything, the whole debacle just bred even more cynicism here.

wow....not that NFO is bad or anything, but that seems a little vindictive

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
I'm definitely fearing a nuke draft. While my ASTB scores are the highest in my unit, my GPA is also the lowest. I don't know if they'd force the super smart engineers to go nuke, or if I'd get voluntold as a consequence of my low class rank.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I'm definitely fearing a nuke draft. While my ASTB scores are the highest in my unit, my GPA is also the lowest. I don't know if they'd force the super smart engineers to go nuke, or if I'd get voluntold as a consequence of my low class rank.

Seemed like the smartest here were selected... so have no fear! :icon_tong

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
The shortage apparently didn't stop the Admiral from denying 3/27 people who went to the interviews today.

(Yes, I got in).

UpstateSouthpaw

On to Whiting North
Forced Nuke Contract

The Nuke Officer at my unit told us that the nuke guys got a lot of guys last year for nuke (way over their goal) and they figured "oh, sweet, lets up our goal" but what they didn't realize is that it was just a fluke and now they're trying to fill these slots. I figured if they force me to go to the interview I'll have to think of some way to make it clear that there is no way I'm going Nuke, maybe I'll just sit in front of the admiral and "plead the fifth". The LT also said that the contract we were signing was non-binding, I asked him to write that in the comments section of the application (which by the way said "Non-Vol" at the top) and sign it, but he assured us that if we didn't want to go Nuke they couldn't make us. I wish I would've slacked off more in my engineering courses, maybe then the bubble-heads wouldn't be eying me! :sonar_125