• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To go Nuke or not to go Nuke....do you have an option?

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Forced Nuke Contract?

So several of the Midshipmen and one OC at my unit were brought in to a meeting with the XO/CO and told that they were going to have nuke interviews because recruiting was 30 short this year. Has this been happening anywhere else?

fc2spyguy

loving my warm and comfy 214 blanket
pilot
Contributor
Seems like an easy thing to get out of, and get a free trip to DC . . . F=?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Same thing happened here, we were told "we have nuke slots to fill and they will be filled." The pulled all of the qualified mids off to the side and delievered the news.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I imagine its the same deal as it used to be, if you go and get accepted, then you can't back out....

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
This can be a catch-22, and like web-san said, if you go and get accepted you don't have any other choice. On the other hand, if you go and punt the interview and they can tell you're trying to tank it, it has the potential to be bad for you later on.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
This sort of thing has been happening at the Academy this year; guys who had subs/Nuke SWO as their 4th choice were given it. There was a guy I know of who had subs his 4th choice, wanted to go Marines as his first choice, and was told that he either passed the interview or got his 5th or 6th choice for service selection.

BackOrdered

Contributor
It must be pretty bad. I'm BDCP but I'm taking a Naval Science IV class this term. An instructor asked if there were any seniors in our class and made me an offer to jump to Nuke if I wanted too. I was curious, but it's not for me.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
I am now completely convinced that I will never put nuke anywhere on my selection list! Knowledge is Power! lol.

Ace_Austin

pilot
If I recall correctly... the sub service is 100% volunteer. How you can be "drafted" is beyond me. Being told "Well we're short handed so either take this or your going to the new OIC in Adak." isn't the way to get people who will make the investment to being good at what they do.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The FORCE is strong in the Nuke community: When I was in NROTC, I saw a Marine Option jump to NUKE his final semester before graduation. He was selected quickly and wisked off to Nuke school....

-ea6bflyr :)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ace, I agree, as a former bubblehead, the sub force is 100% volunteer... but think nuclear surface Navy, ie CVN... we used to have CGN (nuclear powered cruisers)... like the USS CALIFORNIA... those ships were FAAASSSTTTT....

Attachments

• california.jpg
    california.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 208

submarinerssbn

i am almost done with the nuclear degree from thomas edison but failed out of nuke school(thank god ) and am going to put in for pilot via ocs. I wonder if they will still try to suck me up for one of those nuke billets after having the degree. i wasn't recommended to come back too much partying, charelston was awesome. anyways guess i better not put that as one of my 3 choices for jobs or they will probably try to give it to me huh?

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I thought that I'd read something in the Early Bird a few days ago about The Powers That Be considering bringing back a few nuke cruisers and possibly adding some destroyers, to 'save' on fuel costs. I wonder what that cost-benefit analysis is like. Probably just wild speculation on the author's part, though.

The SuppO in my unit is married to a guy who's currently going through nuke school after getting his SWO pin. She once mentioned--and he ellaborated--that he had to seriously fight his CO to actually get his orders to the schoolhouse. Is that a common enough trend that it could be a contributing factor, or is this specifically in regards to the sub people? If so, I'm sure they could find more than enough women who would give their future left nuts (from the radiation, get it? HA!) for the chance.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
i am almost done with the nuclear degree from thomas edison but failed out of nuke school(thank god ) ..... I wonder if they will still try to suck me up for one of those nuke billets after having the degree.....i wasn't recommended to come back too much partying, charelston was awesome. anyways guess i better not put that as one of my 3 choices for jobs or they will probably try to give it to me huh?

Sounds like you've built in protection from the draft whether you intended to or not. Can't imagine them deciding to take another chance on you no matter how desperate they are...Rickover would likely roll over in his grave.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
The FORCE is strong in the Nuke community: When I was in NROTC, I saw a Marine Option jump to NUKE his final semester before graduation. He was selected quickly and wisked off to Nuke school....

-ea6bflyr :)

Poor SOB.....looks just like Smeagol
Smeagol-01.jpg