• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

To go Nuke or not to go Nuke....do you have an option?

Pags

N/A
pilot
When I was graduating in '99 from GT, they were considering requiring all technical majors to interview because they were short Nukes. That would be almost every MIDN from GT. In the end, they just put a lot of pressure on our CO, and every one of us was required to sit with him and talk about Nuke school. He was a former A-6 BN CAG, so you can imagine the pressure wasn't really that hard.

I'm pretty sure they will never force anybody in, but they'll be doing crazy things for every warfare soon as they don't have enough senior JOs all across the board.

GT used to be a huge provider of bodies to the nuke program...and then it kind of stopped...and a lot of folks started going aviation. I remember when I was commissioned, some folks in the nuke program were starting to ask questions about how come we weren't sending as many people as we used to.

Right before I got commissioned, I was cordially invited to the nuke program...they called the unit and wanted to talk to me personally. The sub-abviser told em not to waste their time.

Skipper Coon was a good guy.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One of my roommates is in this same boat right now. She had SWO first on her sheet, then NFO, with nuke no where to be seen. The Navy hasn't told her if she's selected anything yet because they want her to interview and she's terrified that they're going to screw her over come ship selection time. She has a great GPA in engineering, great aptitude, etc., and she's afraid they're basically blackmailing her into choosing nuke SWO. It's unbelievably retarded, but the worst thing is right now our unit isn't answering any of her questions about what's going on with it. I have faith that it's because they truly don't know what's going on, but if it's because they're going along with this whole scheme to get her to go nuke I think everyone in my class is going to be furious.

I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that. Somehow I don't think they want a history/economics major with a C in physics.

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c
One of my roommates is in this same boat right now. She had SWO first on her sheet, then NFO, with nuke no where to be seen. The Navy hasn't told her if she's selected anything yet because they want her to interview and she's terrified that they're going to screw her over come ship selection time. She has a great GPA in engineering, great aptitude, etc., and she's afraid they're basically blackmailing her into choosing nuke SWO. It's unbelievably retarded, but the worst thing is right now our unit isn't answering any of her questions about what's going on with it. I have faith that it's because they truly don't know what's going on, but if it's because they're going along with this whole scheme to get her to go nuke I think everyone in my class is going to be furious.

I'm glad I didn't have to deal with that. Somehow I don't think they want a history/economics major with a C in physics.

Why is she willing to go SWO but not Nuke SWO? Is the difference that significant? :confused:

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Amen. Even now that I've selected NFO, I know I would also be happy as a SWO, though I would rather stab out my eyes than become a SWO nuke.

That's basically what I learned on my second class cruise.

Sub dio

One of my roommates is in this same boat right now. She had SWO first on her sheet, then NFO, with nuke no where to be seen. The Navy hasn't told her if she's selected anything yet because they want her to interview and she's terrified that they're going to screw her over come ship selection time. She has a great GPA in engineering, great aptitude, etc., and she's afraid they're basically blackmailing her into choosing nuke SWO. It's unbelievably retarded, but the worst thing is right now our unit isn't answering any of her questions about what's going on with it.

I'm going through the exact same thing except I put pilot first and I did actually put subs as choice 2. But the only reason was because I still wasn't med qualified when I sent my package in. Now im qualified and i dont want subs, and they just forced me to fill out a nuke application. This is really retarded. I told my Lt there is no way I would chose subs over pilot, not for 50,000 dollars, not for 100,000, and i would think about it for a signing bonus of right around 1 million. lol

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
I'm going through the exact same thing except I put pilot first and I did actually put subs as choice 2. But the only reason was because I still wasn't med qualified when I sent my package in. Now im qualified and i dont want subs, and they just forced me to fill out a nuke application. This is really retarded. I told my Lt there is no way I would chose subs over pilot, not for 50,000 dollars, not for 100,000, and i would think about it for a signing bonus of right around 1 million. lol

By forced do you mean a direct order?

Sub dio

well he's said i know your not going to switch, but I'm required to send an application for everyone that put subs as a choice and he said he called and made sure that it didn't mean any obligation. So i was like ok lemme just sign the thing and get outa here. Then i get on here and this thred is scaring me. I don't know if you could say it was a direct order but he didn't act like it was optional so i didn't argue. Maybe i should have?

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Interesting...it seems like different units are handling this very differently. I talked to some of the mids at my unit that just selected, and they have pretty much all been given the "ok" when they told the LT they didn't want to switch. I wonder who missed the memo?

montellv

Professional Badguy
pilot
A few years ago, the reverse happened in Aviation...they told people "If you don't want to be here, there's the door." They can make you do what ever they want and if it comes down to it, it may be that if you turn down a nuke contract they just show you the door. Just my random thoughts.

BTW, I was enlisted nuke on subs and wouldn't want that again but they have a way of throwing money at the problem.

Rasczak

Marine
when I was talking to the Navy OSO about a year ago, he was trying to get me to go NUPOC. He was persistent as hell too. I'm kinda glad I didn't listen to him when he offered to send me to the interviews.
So is it only mandatory for the NROTC guys or would it apply to BDCPers as well?

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
Well I had to sign the "non-voluntary" form today under direct orders from the CO. I guess this means I have to go listen to a nuke brief and see why its the best job in the world. The skipper was saying there is the potential for a "nuke draft" if they don't get the 30 slots filled. Heres to hoping I get lucky and escape..

Sub dio

Well I had to sign the "non-voluntary" form today under direct orders from the CO. I guess this means I have to go listen to a nuke brief and see why its the best job in the world. The skipper was saying there is the potential for a "nuke draft" if they don't get the 30 slots filled. Heres to hoping I get lucky and escape..

My CO says the same thing...this whole thing is so stupid. This could work out really bad for nuke in the long run. Seniors are going to be telling underclassmen to avoid even putting it even as a distant choice, because obviously its gonna totally f__K your service selection. Classic navy common sense....

DSL1990

VMI Cadet 4/c, MIDN 4/c

you are having to go to this nuke brief even though you were already selected for 1390? how awful! :eek: