• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thousands of planes a year forced to use dangerous maneuver

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
Yeah, there is nothing that terrifies me more than having to execute that dangerous maneuver, and that radio call you never want to make, "Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, we are going around! Repeat, we are GOING AROUND!"

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot
i'd punch out before i ever had to execute the dreaded..................................................go around. even that word creeps me out. Mufasa! ooooooh.... Go around!..ooooooooohhhhhh (chills), and let's not EVEN mention ..dare i say MISSED APPROACH.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Actually, if you "pull up" as the caption says versus "throttles to max and smoothly raise the nose," it IS dangerous. Silly reporters. :icon_tong
picard-no-facepalm.jpg

nugget61

pilot
I love how the one informed person that they talk to refers to it as 'the safe way' and yet the entire piece is about the dangers of it, ha.

nugget81

pilot
What is this "go around" I keep hearing people refer to? I may have read about it once or twice in the FTI, but I've never actually had to perform one (too much risk you know!)

AP fear mongering garbage.....typical

mtsupilot09

"We lookin fo you. We gon find you!"
I guess the FAA should consider me a "dangerous pilot" guilty of executing the "dangerous" maneuver of going around. This piece is such a joke. -1 to the AP for doing more to scare the public into not wanting to fly.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
On some nights, I'd rather catch the 1 wire than go around...

Afterburner76

Life is Gouda
pilot
A guy in my squadron had to go around once... he was never quite the same after that. 2 years of psyche evals later, he still shakes at the thought of it.

Rubiks06

pilot
So i know this article was pretty lame and we practice them all the time but....How often do airliners actually do these? Ive never been on one thats done it and ive flown a lot. I caused one to waveoff when i was flying my early IFS flights. My flight instructor looked at me and said "you just cost that airline thousands of dollars", did i feel bad not really but it begs the question. How often do they do them?

armada1651

Hey intern, get me a Campari!
pilot
How often do they do them?

Evidently, "thousands of times EVERY YEAR!"

I think I've been on airliners going around once or twice. Can't say my reaction was ever, "Oh dear God, WE ARE GOING TO DIE!" like that guy in the video though.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
The dangerous "go-around." I've found it's much less dangerous than colliding with another *&*(&%$# plane on the runway!

You know what's even more dangerous than not landing? Landing. A manuever executed millions of times each year, which often ends in disaster.

Out of several hundred aviation-related deaths last year, nearly all occured when the airplane struck the ground. Landing. In fact, nearly 3000 Americans died when two United Airlines jets landed in the World Trade Center in 2001.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
The dangerous "go-around." I've found it's much less dangerous than colliding with another *&*(&%$# plane on the runway!

You know what's even more dangerous than not landing? Landing. A manuever executed millions of times each year, which often ends in disaster.

Out of several hundred aviation-related deaths last year, nearly all occured when the airplane struck the ground. Landing. In fact, nearly 3000 Americans died when two United Airlines jets landed in the World Trade Center in 2001.

Ya, but you can't really avoid the latter. I mean, don't the T/Os and Landings have to match up in the logbook?? Which brings another question: If you eat shit on a landing, and have to peel away aircraft skin to egress, do you log the landing?

:D