• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Thousands of planes a year forced to use dangerous maneuver

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
So you're sayin there's a chance ...

I think the 727 could pull it off... But never in a widebody.. Too much inertia.. The Airbus just doesn't slow down and I am told the 10 and 11 are the same... Maybe a Whale.. A4s would have to chime in.. But again with all the checklists and trying to get thru all the different flap settings to get to final flaps would be a feat... That and we just don't fly enough to be proficient.. I bet a SWA could do it but they are super current.. I have recurrent training next month; if I remember, I will try it in the sim (unless I have some Air Force Weakdick that would try anything outside of the syllabus- And yes, I am talking about the instructor):eek:

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I think the 727 could pull it off... But never in a widebody.. Too much inertia.. The Airbus just doesn't slow down and I am told the 10 and 11 are the same... Maybe a Whale.. A4s would have to chime in.. But again with all the checklists and trying to get thru all the different flap settings to get to final flaps would be a feat... That and we just don't fly enough to be proficient.. I bet a SWA could do it but they are super current.. I have recurrent training next month; if I remember, I will try it in the sim (unless I have some Air Force Weakdick that would try anything outside of the syllabus- And yes, I am talking about the instructor):eek:
We expect a full report. :D

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've flown in C-9s that performed a break at Nellis and Alameda. A little unerving being in the tube and feeling the plane go to a bit more than 45 AOB.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
One time in 4 years of this airline biz... We do it once every 6 months in the sim but it happens rarely on the line..
Concur. In 16 years at a major I have done maybe 10 times on the line. Funny this came up though, my wife was flying to GRB this week on Midwest and they had to go around in MKE. She said it was pretty exciting and worried some folks. I have never ridden through one in the back. The deck angle on a MD80 can be pretty awesome to see if sitting in the back. On a related note, I flew with a guy at a commuter that used to always blame go arounds on a "doctor in a bonanza" on the PA. BTW, one of my pet peeves, going around and not telling the peeps what just happened. I was in a SWA jumpseat a few months ago and we went around and the Capt didn't say squat.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
BTW, one of my pet peeves, going around and not telling the peeps what just happened.

When I was in the RAG at NAS N.I. wife and I were taking a flight out of Lindburg and they rejected the Take-off... They didn't say a word just taxied to the gate and started unloading and left it for the Gate Agent to handle... Even though we rarely have pax, it is our QRH to tell the jumpseaters what is going on.... A little communication can go a long way.. Like a sneek is worth a thousand scans!