• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

THIS WAS MY EXPERIENCE AT VANCE, SHARE YOURS. 21 May 2008

dodge

You can do anything once.
pilot
fill in the blank

insert the location/platform of your choice as you see fit:

I recently selected ____ out of
______. I wanted _____ but that didn't pan out as I'd hoped....

Here's my response to an email from someone planning on going to______but not sure what to expect:

My advice, if you go to _________:
1. Have fun,

2. Enjoy your classmates.

3. Feel very fortunate to be a Student Naval
Aviator.

4. Understand that factors out of your control can
play a big part in what your choices are.

5. Work hard and don't let the possibility that you
don't see your dream come to fruition as you'd
envisioned it stop you from giving 110% each
day in everything you do.

...6-8 months working my butt off in a stressful environment was challenging but for me, again i say FOR ME, I never thought it was too overwelhming.

If you haven't decided, think about it for a while, then decide. You never know what the end result will be till you get to the end. The End. hahaha.

STLEngineer

pilot
I could be wrong, but wouldn't the harder flight/squadron have a lower ration needed for a 50. That would equal out the hard graders. At Whiting a couple friends of mine are in a squadron where the average for a 50 is 1.12-1.13 whereas it is higher than that in my squadron. So are these tough vance IPs under the same squadron(or whatever the correct airforce term is) or are they in different squadrons. If they are in the same squadron I can see how that could nock a few guys down.

The Pinksheet/unsat for airsicknees is rediculous are you sure thats the whole story? In Navy land thats usually an incomplete followed by some help to get over it?

The squadrons at Vance are divided into 6 or 8 flights (I don't know exactly for the T-6 guys). Each of the flights has a different command climate, and as I said above, you typically fly most of your rides with IPs from your flight. For this reason, studs from one flight will have worse per ride scores.

Johnny (an average stud) from "A" flight averages a 1.2 because his flight grades easy, Billy (an average stud) from "B" flight averages a 1.05 because his grades harder. The squadron average would be around 1.125 equating to about a 50 NSS, so if most studs from "A" flight average around a 1.2 and most from "B" average a 1.05, then "A" flight's guys may get 60-70's where "B" flights get 30-40's. That's how the numbers can get skewed.

It's like one class getting all Santa Clauses and another getting all Hammers. In Navy training they even out, not so much in AF training.

I can't speak to the pinksheet and unsat, but I believe that is true.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Thanks for posting your experiences, I think anyone's perspective is valuable. But please fix the 'woe is me' deal, it is not going to help you in any way.

because you will be flying the T-6 and it's a neat experience. You will be ahead of your Whiting/Corpus compadres in terms of exposure and experience.

Not particularly directed at you, but......I am going to tear what little hair I have left out if someone else talks about how they are a better aviator because they flew a T-6 over a T-34. I guess the legions of SNA/SNFO's who trained on the TA-4, T-2 and T-39 just aren't all that good. Gimme a break, if you think that then you are going to be in for a rude shock. This isn't a competition to see who flew the latest plane, like who has the latest cell phone.

If you want more proof, here is what the Israeli Air Force flies for Primary (they first flew in 1952, and they don't have ejection seats):

IMG_9946RDBK06_main.jpg

Here is what they fly in Advanced for jets (first flew in 1954):

TA4pluggedr.jpg

xmid

pilot
Contributor
Somebody needs to tell the dude in the first pic to put his gear down...;)

JMO20

Fellas and Fellets,

Gotta squash/relign some of the misinterpretation going on here. Was I bitter? For like a day. I wrote this response about a month after finishing Vance, by that point well, well out of the bitterness zone. This is just meant to be a summarization of what I saw at Vance. All I'm trying to do is better prepare others for some of the things they'll see so their not blindsided should they take the same road.

insanebikers comment about this post dripping of bitterness: Posting notes to vent anger is just not my style.

Any serious person is gonna be a dissapointed when they don't hit goals they set for themselves and seriously worked hard to attain those things. That's true for anyone on here. Just trying to shine a little light on what's mysterious to guys who haven't been there and done that yet.

Bottom line, if you miss the mark, dust off and carry on. Next community here I come!!!

S3b_viking

Knowing more to the whole story here than was originally portrayed... JMO20 I'ts been over a month since you've selected and you're still complaining. Most people would realize that things aren't going to change and that you need to be happy with what you've selected. You've gotta give this I deserved jet stuff up because talking with a lot of your IP's very few of you in your flight did actually have the skill to get jets. Also, if your friends were just simply average, how come they were called out by their flight commander as the top two in the flight and asked to help everyone else out that was having problems?

And yes JMO20, they are out to get you.... Give it up.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Did anyone else here notice that JMO's post count is 2? So, unless he posts exclusively in the War Zone, he joined AW just to post this thread...

(Just an observation by an average guy who flew T-34s in Primary.)

NozeMan

Are you threatening me?
pilot
Super Moderator
Knowing more to the whole story here than was originally portrayed... JMO20 I'ts been over a month since you've selected and you're still complaining. Most people would realize that things aren't going to change and that you need to be happy with what you've selected. You've gotta give this I deserved jet stuff up because talking with a lot of your IP's very few of you in your flight did actually have the skill to get jets. Also, if your friends were just simply average, how come they were called out by their flight commander as the top two in the flight and asked to help everyone else out that was having problems?

And yes JMO20, they are out to get you.... Give it up.

Wow, dimed. out.

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Have fun, because you will be flying the T-6
and it's a neat experience. You will be ahead of
your Whiting/Corpus compadres in terms of
exposure and experience.

I'm not saying one is better than the other, since I haven't flown the T-6 (and your assumption, having only flown the T-6, is also one-sided and false).

What I can tell you is that one COULD argue the other way. You guys get spoiled with glass cockpit, the option of ejection seats if your freaking wings fall off, and generally a NEW aircraft and equipment with less wear and tear and fatigue. Try flying a no-gyro PAR when your attitude indicator shows 3 degrees of bank when level. Or you're flying along and a guage dies (frozen or zeroed). Or radios that suck and quit with more frequency than should be allowed.

And also, how many times have you encountered a REAL emergency (even a relatively tame one) in the T-6? I don't know, so I am really asking.

The T-6 looks like a sweet plane to fly, but I like my turboweenie. Plus the shorter rollout from beta makes me look like I can land better than I really can. :D

Ducky

Formerly SNA2007
pilot
Contributor
I'd like to see a T-6 stop at North Whiting midfield. Oh wait they can't.

FLY_USMC

pilot
What I can tell you is that one COULD argue the other way. You guys get spoiled with glass cockpit, the option of ejection seats if your freaking wings fall off, and generally a NEW aircraft and equipment with less wear and tear and fatigue.
Our $hit might be old but for god's sake we're not training to fly frigain Sopwith Camel's.