• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Think this Sequester thing is real

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
What does 4 of 24 mean? Home for less then a year is crazy, how many deployments is that?

Home for less than a year is standard in many communities. If you only do a 6 month-ish deployment, then home for a year is a 2:1 dwell ratio, which is the what the Commandant was trying to work up to. It was worse before.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Hornet units are not flying once they come back from deployment right? I live next to Miramar and their still flying the same amount.

False. Marine Hornet units are still flying after deployment, though some hours have been cut.

Any of you guys up at EWTGLANT, don't expect hornet guys to hang around past their frag time anymore like we used to. Landing late is no longer an option.

On a related note, it is funny that since aviation is accounted for by flight hour, it will be a lot more common for guys to buster back home to land on time. However, this burns more fuel. Logically, burning more fuel in a flight-- all else equal-- will cost more. But supposedly if you can knock a 0.1 off your flight by landing early, it saves the government money. Even if you burned an extra 500 pounds of gas. Tell me how that makes sense.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
On a related note, it is funny that since aviation is accounted for by flight hour, it will be a lot more common for guys to buster back home to land on time. However, this burns more fuel. Logically, burning more fuel in a flight-- all else equal-- will cost more. But supposedly if you can knock a 0.1 off your flight by landing early, it saves the government money. Even if you burned an extra 500 pounds of gas. Tell me how that makes sense.

If it comes to it, the $/hr gets recalculated and the hours remaining in the quarter and year will get adjusted... which will make a lot of people unhappy!

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
More sequester crap... ATC is playing hell with the airlines. What a joke. Send a few guys home for an extra day at the beach and it is like the PATCO strike of '81. Was delayed over an hour yesterday simply due to ATC manning. Saw others making S turns for hundreds of miles. Of course the unmanned posts just can't be at smaller airports or in the middle of the night. We couldn't even file any SOCAL airports as alternates for LAX yesterday. It is worsened by the controllers playing games. If the Administration is making cuts to be more painful and obvious than necessary, the controllers are getting their pound of flesh by slowing down because they are pissed they lose a couple days pay a quarter. Complete BS!

DoD_Sigma

More sequester crap... ATC is playing hell with the airlines. What a joke. Send a few guys home for an extra day at the beach and it is like the PATCO strike of '81. Was delayed over an hour yesterday simply due to ATC manning. Saw others making S turns for hundreds of miles. Of course the unmanned posts just can't be at smaller airports or in the middle of the night. We couldn't even file any SOCAL airports as alternates for LAX yesterday. It is worsened by the controllers playing games. If the Administration is making cuts to be more painful and obvious than necessary, the controllers are getting there pound of flesh by slowing down because they are pissed they lose a couple days pay a quarter. Complete BS!

My flight was delayed 2.5 hours the other day. I feel your pain.

But i don't know what you are saying about losing a couple days pay per quarter. I dont know what the furlough is for the FAA, but for the Navy, it was proposed to be a 20% pay cut. That's more than a few days a quarter

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
My flight was delayed 2.5 hours the other day. I feel your pain.

But i don't know what you are saying about losing a couple days pay per quarter. I dont know what the furlough is for the FAA, but for the Navy, it was proposed to be a 20% pay cut. That's more than a few days a quarter
OK, so I exaggerated a bit. It is 11 days per controller spread over the last half of the fiscal year. That is about five days per quarter. That would be roughly 5 days out of 45 days of work or an 11% pay cut. Cry me a river. That is nothing like what the rest of us non-government employees have had to deal with the last 10 years. A government furlough is a day off without pay. A private sector furlough is complete loss of job for an indefinite period of time. No one will lose their house over a few government furlough days.

Which begs the point. It looks like a reduction in work force hours of about 10%, and it casues this much pain? B.S.

Don't know where the 20% pay cut for military came from. Haven’t heard that. Hasn't happened and don't see it happening.

DoD_Sigma

That is nothing like what the rest of us non-government employees have had to deal with the last 10 years. A government furlough is a day off without pay. A private sector furlough is complete loss of job for an indefinite period of time. No one will lose their house over a few government furlough days.

Which begg the point. It looks like a reduction in work force hours of about 10%, and it casues this much pain? B.S.

Don't know where the 20% pay cut for military came from. Haven’t heard that. Hasn't happened and don't see it happening.

I hear you and i agree. Private sector makes more money than Govt, but doesnt have the job security.

However, Department of Navy originally was going to furlough their govt employees 20%. That's what was scary when i received my furlough notice.

My point is this, any action that affects the livelihood of anyone is of concern, whether or not it affects you, it's affecting somebody. We often times dont know how it will affect the next person