• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Think this Sequester thing is real

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Played 18 holes at AC Read GC at NAS Pensacola this Saturday (today) afternoon. Beautiful severe clear day, 70F and not one aircraft, Navy, otherwise, VT or fleet, was seen or heard between noon & 5PM. This is a first. This is depressing. FWIW.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Played 18 holes at AC Read GC at NAS Pensacola this Saturday (today) afternoon. Beautiful severe clear day, 70F and not one aircraft, Navy, otherwise, VT or fleet, was seen or heard between noon & 5PM. This is a first. This is depressing. FWIW.

Most likely its because most of the T-6/T-39s were out on cross countries and if there were any local flights they were flying out of Jack Edwards. When I was going through VT-10 all of the weekend flights were handled from Jack Edwards because of NPA's field hours.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Sequestration hasn't changed our training plan, flight hours, or anything at all thus far. Our flight hours have actually increased since. The possibility of losing some level of TCTS support is about it.

The USAF, on the other hand, is not flying any sortie that isn't T&R generating - no "continuation training" as they're calling it. I can't get them to play in any kind of LFE, but they're still taking good care of their golf courses.

Now FY-14... we shall see.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Most likely its because most of the T-6/T-39s were out on cross countries and if there were any local flights they were flying out of Jack Edwards. When I was going through VT-10 all of the weekend flights were handled from Jack Edwards because of NPA's field hours.

Hope you're right, but in Jan, Feb & Mar there were many a/c in the pattern all day on the weekends. T-6, T-39, T-1, Fleet F-18s & various AF a/c not assigned to NPA. Today at NAS was similar to being in downtown Boston on Friday: Where the Hell are all the people? The quiet is deafening!

wlawr005

pilot
Contributor
It's true at Whiting and Meridian too. Fields are closed on the weekends except for a recovery window for CCX returns on Sunday night. Not a lot of flying on the weekends unless the Wings want to pay the maintainers overtime.

Weekend ops with Reservists operating out of local civilian airports is common.

cfam

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Is the Jack Edwards flying relatively new? I don't remember NPA's hours being cut on the weekends when I went through (2010ish).

HuggyU2

None
Most likely its because most of the T-6/T-39s were out on cross countries.
I know that in the past, the Navy is much less "generous" on cross countries than the AF,... but wouldn't there still be some per diem and lodging costs that the Navy would have to pay the folks that are on TDY/TAD orders?
In our case, we have terminated all TDY orders unless it is mission critical.

Ralph

Hornet units are not flying once they come back from deployment right? I live next to Miramar and their still flying the same amount.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Is the Jack Edwards flying relatively new? I don't remember NPA's hours being cut on the weekends when I went through (2010ish).

I don't know when it started but it was definitely the norm when I was there (graduated this past December). I think NPA is only open 7ish hours on the weekend so not the best if you are trying to get multiple students multiple flights each on the weekend.

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
I know that in the past, the Navy is much less "generous" on cross countries than the AF,... but wouldn't there still be some per diem and lodging costs that the Navy would have to pay the folks that are on TDY/TAD orders?

I got per diem for my cross country, so I'm sure that hasn't stopped. Can't speak to whether or not the Sequester has forced a change of policy, but given the emphasis that was put on flying outside of the local area in order to increase a student's aptitude in the cockpit, I'd be surprised if they eliminated CC's completely.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot

From what I've seen in CONUS, if you want to take a jet on the road for a weekend of training, then you usually will pay for lodging with no per diem. Your squadron just cuts you no cost orders.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
From what I've seen in CONUS, if you want to take a jet on the road for a weekend of training, then you usually will pay for lodging with no per diem. Your squadron just cuts you no cost orders.

That's how it worked in Kingsville. In El Centro you would get a far reduced per diem (Something like 25 bucks a day), but other than that you got no cost TAD orders.

HuggyU2

None
I know the Navy has done this for years.
Within the last 2-3 years, I had a Finance guy point me toward the JFTR, and prove it was not allowed.
Don't shoot the messenger: I'm simply told that we cannot do this in the AF.
I'm not a Finance/JFTR expert, and maybe he was wrong when it comes to Dept of the Navy. More power to y'all if you can do that.

I do know that all of our XC's at Beale AFB have been terminated UFN.
I've also heard that the AF Training Command is minimizing cross countries, and I believe someone posted on another web site that the only overnight stops allowed are the 4 pilot training bases.

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Would love to be able to bring a few jets down to NPA - but the local commodore said "no cross countries". he's worried about image and perception... sad times.