• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Think this Sequester thing is real

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I know the Navy has done this for years.
Within the last 2-3 years, I had a Finance guy point me toward the JFTR, and prove it was not allowed.
Don't shoot the messenger: I'm simply told that we cannot do this in the AF.
I'm not a Finance/JFTR expert, and maybe he was wrong when it comes to Dept of the Navy. More power to y'all if you can do that.

I do know that all of our XC's at Beale AFB have been terminated UFN.
I've also heard that the AF Training Command is minimizing cross countries, and I believe someone posted on another web site that the only overnight stops allowed are the 4 pilot training bases.

Independent of the what the JTFR says, it was a pretty common practice within the TRACOM. While I was there, it was normal for IPs to take studs on the road and both would either get a) per diem only, b) per diem and one room at a government rate to share, c) per diem and Q rooms only or d) per diem and a room for each person. It would depend on when in the FY it was and how much money the squadron had.

helolumpy

Apprentice School Principal
pilot
Contributor
It's true at Whiting and Meridian too. Fields are closed on the weekends except for a recovery window for CCX returns on Sunday night. Not a lot of flying on the weekends unless the Wings want to pay the maintainers overtime.

Weekend ops with Reservists operating out of local civilian airports is common.

The closures that towers are facing is not do to sequestration. The Navy shifted a bunch of Air Traffic Controller billets to sea duty, so each NAS got cut about 10-15% of bodies.
Each NAS had to propose reductions in service and CNAP, CNAL, CNATRA, CNIC and USFFC all got to pick for a list of COAs that each NAS proposed.

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
Are the VTs flying. I thought I read something that said Orange and White would stop flying on April 1.

squeeze

Retired Harrier Dude
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
There is a bit of schadenfreude over watching the 'big' services chop training, TAD/TDY, cross countries, etc... all in the name of sequestration and watching it have little to no effect on the USMC side of the house.

jmcquate

Contributor
There is a bit of schadenfreude over watching the 'big' services chop training, TAD/TDY, cross countries, etc... all in the name of sequestration and watching it have little to no effect on the USMC side of the house.
It's my understanding that the Corps had been under sequestration of one form or another since 1775. It's business as usual.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
It's my understanding that the Corps had been under sequestration of one form or another since 1775. It's business as usual.

Maybe so, but keep buying Ospreys & F-35Bs and the entire USMC will be a few wings of OV-22s & F-35Bs w/ no money for anything else, ground or air. Just sayin' .

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Independent of the what the JTFR says, it was a pretty common practice within the TRACOM. While I was there, it was normal for IPs to take studs on the road and both would either get a) per diem only, b) per diem and one room at a government rate to share, c) per diem and Q rooms only or d) per diem and a room for each person. It would depend on when in the FY it was and how much money the squadron had.

I know I lived in a different time and Navy, but in my entire career of flying, I never once received per diem for a simple weekend cross country. Every one was on my own dime. And I can count on two fingers the number of times I stayed at anything other than the BOQ when on dets or deployments, and those were only because the BOQ's were under renovation and short on rooms. FWIW.

Lawman

None
Whole brigade came home this Feb. we left all our 64's in Afghanistan for their 4th rotation without reset(which is 2 more than anybody recommends).

Came home to a whole new fleet for both battalions (48 birds). My battalion is currently 4 of 24 on a good day. Estimate is 10 months from FMC for our battalion (no money to spend on parts).... Scheduled to redeploy spring of 2014. So much for train up.

Sequestration is real. It's just being done in the most retarded way possible.

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I don't have a page reference handy, but my recollection from when I was OPSO is that 3710 (in the CCX section) stated that an aviator who requested a particular CCX would not be reimbursed/funded but an aviator who was "ordered" on a CCX would be reimbursed.

Ralph

My battalion is currently 4 of 24 on a good day. Estimate is 10 months from FMC for our battalion (no money to spend on parts).... Scheduled to redeploy spring of 2014. So much for train up.

Sequestration is real. It's just being done in the most retarded way possible.

What does 4 of 24 mean? Home for less then a year is crazy, how many deployments is that?

Lawman

None
What does 4 of 24 mean? Home for less then a year is crazy, how many deployments is that?

That out of our battalion of 24 aircraft we have had a peak level of 4 total fly able birds. We are at 2 last I checks today.

And yeah nobody is happy about the deployment chart. But brigade (HQ) came home 8 months earlier than the rest of us so it looks like we had our 18 months on paper. Not nearly as bad as the guys that did 15 months and then turned around 10 months later and did 12 a couple years ago. They weren't supposed to do the 12 but got flushed into it when a battalion went non deplorable stateside.