• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

"THE WORD" at tbs right now about API

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
Don't fuck with me man...I've come to far!!

Seriously, if this is true it's great news. Hopefully I will not have to partake in a post-API pool of some sort. My buddy up in Helo-land was saying that he is also flying through the pipeline because they are getting so few students from the VT's that there are plenty of instructors to go around for all.

It's legit man...for now. Of course, we'll all once again be feeling the end of fiscal year squeeze in a few months. A post API pool isn't that bad. No physical muster. No working parties. You have all your pubs and checklists so you can nerd out on knowledge all you want.

Pepe

If it's stupid but works, it isn't stupid.
pilot
Language training and IOC, with one financial management officer are the options for the alpha company aviators. Language training is supposed to take 6 months here in Quantico, then hopefully we are going down to API, but we have no word on that. And the truth is likely to change so I'm just hoping I have some sort of official orders before graduation and BAH.

If you have a choice, I'd go with the language training. If you can absorb enough of it to score high on the USMC's language test you can earn some extra dough. Plus it's better than the haste ex that is IOC.

Reconjoe

It's not the idea of spending 6 months learning a language....it's what's possible on the backside of that.
To quote my SPC : "Honestly theres probably a reason they're spending money, resources, and school slots to train you in a language....but at some point in your career you will get the chance to go to flight school, you just might have to do something in between".

It's an uneasy feeling working so hard to get this close to flight school only to be told in the last 2 weeks of TBS that your future is not as clear as you think......

AJB37

If you have a choice, I'd go with the language training. If you can absorb enough of it to score high on the USMC's language test you can earn some extra dough. Plus it's better than the haste ex that is IOC.

I actually wanted IOC, but got language training.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
It's not the idea of spending 6 months learning a language....it's what's possible on the backside of that.
To quote my SPC : "Honestly theres probably a reason they're spending money, resources, and school slots to train you in a language....but at some point in your career you will get the chance to go to flight school, you just might have to do something in between".

It's an uneasy feeling working so hard to get this close to flight school only to be told in the last 2 weeks of TBS that your future is not as clear as you think......

Or maybe there is an emphasis on not having 300+ 2ndLts in the pool at MATSG right now. That seems to be the message that is communicated down here (if you are somewhere else, you ain't here). I'm sure they will get your money out of you at some point, but don't be so sure that it's going to be soon. I'm sure there are many senior Capt/Major billets that having someone with some language knowledge would be advantageous, as well as their experience in the military so far.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Or maybe there is an emphasis on not having 300+ 2ndLts in the pool at MATSG right now. That seems to be the message that is communicated down here (if you are somewhere else, you're someone else's problem, not ours). I'm sure they will get your money out of you at some point, but don't be so sure that it's going to be soon. I'm sure there are many senior Capt/Major billets that having someone with some language knowledge would be advantageous, as well as their experience in the military so far.

Fixed it for ya. Also known as the SEP (Someone Else's Problem) Field Generator

HueyCobra8151

pilot
What languages are they offering?

Oh yeah, I thought I was "close to flight school" when I was finishing up TBS too...7 months later and the closest I have gotten is when the Blue Angels use my office as a landmark for their tight-formation-of-four turns at low altitude.

Quénault

pilot
I just got passed a conjecture from the staff of Charlie Co. Apparently those of us in combat charlie will be given a secondary MOS, with a pick of the schools we go to. They think that we won't be limited to just IOC and language school, but pretty much anything with open slots. For now, that is the word, I'm just standing by to see this list of school slots...

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Pick something you wouldn't mind going to if you don't finish flight school.

That said, MMCO or Aviation Supply would be pretty useful for a pilot, as would DASC, followed by ATC. I don't know if those will be available for you. Pretty cool opportunity, if you ask me.

Clux4

Banned
Pick something you wouldn't mind going to if you don't finish flight school.

That said, MMCO or Aviation Supply would be pretty useful for a pilot, as would DASC, followed by ATC. I don't know if those will be available for you. Pretty cool opportunity, if you ask me.

Aviation Supply school is twice a year. If I remember correctly, both classes were always booked.

Is ATC training not long; something around 5 months with extensive OJT requirements to be fully qualified?

Logistics is a big one. The Marine Corps will always need logistics folks at every level of war. Also, it is pretty marketable on the outside.