• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Tomcat Legacy; 35+ years from Fleet Air Defender to Recce to Precision Strike

kevin

uhm, no i guess it wouldnt piss me off....and yes, i would correct it (as i said earlier). and your analogy is missing....are you seriously comparing the ramifications of my opinions of an aircraft to the potential for someone to get an std based off faulty info? wow, that's logical....i think you might be giving me too much credit on that. for one thing, i really dont think anyone (particularly here) gives more than a passing care about my opinions regarding that issue. and certainly nobody is going to make any life altering decisions based off of it. i believe ive said time and time again that these are "my opinions"- dont feel the need to say it every damn time, it would be assumed in this case. and the heresay is based off of facts written by others (how many times have i said this now?) who are qualified to say such things, whether they are right or wrong (hence the problematic analogy of bo and luke duke is it). the heresay of the jsf is coming from personal pilot friends in the air force who talk amongst themselves quite about regarding this stuff. whether you know more about this issue than them is kind of irrelevant, considering that the vast majority of the "little air warriors" (man i cant get enough of that one) on this forum have a brain and can take this information for what it's worth...not to mention the unimortance of it in the grand scheme of things. like i said, your analogy is way off. if you take offense to this , i couldnt care less. as i said before and will repeat...you know more about this stuff than i do, and if you have info to share please do it. but leave it at that and dont get your pants all ruffled over it. holy ****, i cant imagine anyone getting that upset over this.

kevin

jaerose, GED: how do you suggest we get these said people into the air to commence rock throwing? my thought was to use very large blankets held by four people at the corners. another question is whether the navy budget has room for procurement of these rocks.

jaerose

kevin, the rocks can be procured by merely scouring the ground and picking them up...very cost effective. I was thinking that these people could be hurled in the air by being shot out of a gun-powder canon, a catapult, or when near major cities...by running and jumping from tall buildings. The questions is...do we give them parachutes, or save the money?

Oh, you should condense your posts into one large post where you address others in paragraphs separated by spaces. I know, you're just trying to run your numbers up...=)

JR

BTW, I take offense to the Hazzard County crack. I got my GED from the Hazzard County Board of Education and I can say these people are nothing less than scholarly...thanks to them I can now read at the 3rd grade level!

HornetDrvr

The intelligence that I am observing on this board is rapidly deteriorating. I am watching plenty of personal slams going on here with little substance. The idea ought to be to accept everyone at face value until proved otherwise. The proof should come some readily acceptable source. To go with the name calling seems a little childish but so be it. My cost estimate comes from a number of factors. How much do you want to bet that Russian racks and launchers can not accomodate U.S weapons. That means modifying the jets to accept U.S. racks. How about new generators to supply electrical power to the flight control computers and weapons computers and everything else that modern avionics require. Maybe even a slight airframe to make sure that the proper cooling is provided. How much do you want to bet that even simple things like the wiring in the jets is not up to U.S. standards. What you are looking at is buying the shell of an airframe, further gutting it and then entirely reworking the insides. Its not just a matter of slapping a new computer in there. I would be also willing to bet that the antenna placement for a lot of comm and RWR gear is not optimal for U.S. standards either. The bottom line is that there is a lot more to think about than just slapping the new stuff in there. This drives up cost as you well know.

Finally, if you really think that 35 mil is going to be final pricetag for the JSF then you haven't been watching the development of many combat aircraft lately. My educated .02

jaerose

Hey, I'm not slamming anyone, just trying to lighten the atmosphere. I agree that it seems like people can't have different opinions, or disagree on here without someone else taking it personally.

JR

kevin

i agree it's annoying, but im sure as hell going to chime in with it if someone starts with me. i dont purposely post stuff to spite people unless they start with me first. anyway, considering that 90% of this board is opinion based anyway (which is fine) i dont see the problem. i think it's something of an irony that within any arena (financial, medical, military, etc) there always seems to be plenty of issues debated AMONG EXPERTS when they are so infallable....wouldnt that imply that DIFFERING opinions are thrown around among facts? huh...deep thoughts by jack handy. and arent these the same type experts that so adequately analyzed pearl harbor, why spinal cords can't regenerate, why flat taxes are better, etc,etc?

hornetdrv: that was the last number i read for the jsf (apr '02 i think). but that doesnt surprise me considering how the f22 has gone (well over 100mil now, i think).

jaerose i actually considered posting one word at a time in order to catch up to you. thanks for the mental picture of hurling people with rocks into the sky..lol.

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
0k, this has gone totally off topic...thanks you ****heads. If you're questioning whether or not you are one of the ****heads in question that hasn't really said anything that is on topic, you are indeed a ****head. There are many of you that actually said things that were on point and took the question to town...kudos to you. As for the rest of you asshats, shut up.

stevew

Jaerose: you certainly did a good job lightening up the atmosphere here, you had me laughing so hard I was crying.

jaerose

Glad someone appreciated it.

Ryoukai, you sure are ripping on people a lot for someone who doesn't appear to have much of a background. If you're referring to me, then I think you need to read the entire thread as I have posted on topic information...thank you very much. Also, if my vocabulary were that limited I'd go back to my college and demand a refund on my tuition, or maybe it's your lack of creativeness =)

Either way, poking fun of the arguments in this thread about qualifications and similar things is completely on topic because let's face it...no one on here really has the slightest idea if anyone else is really qualified to answer the questions. For instance, when I first joined I could have put in my profile that I was a military analyst, leading NASA aero. engineer, part-time circus clown, or Geraldo Rivera and no one would have been the wiser because you couldn't verify my claims. Also, no one's forcing you to read this post, either, so blame yourself for that and kudos on the juvenile name calling =)

JR

BTW, since you seem to have a lot of knowledge and experience with it...what exactly is an arse-hat?

CandKyMarine

Yes. If you look at the original intent of this thread, it was asking for information from people who had first hand knowledge. What you get off the Internet (that's still around?) by no means qualifies as "fact." I am an analyst for USAF/XIWM. I could go write a paper saying that the USAF was planning on retiring all the 15's and replacing them with Cessnas. In my bio, I'd list my time with UASF/XIWM as a contractor. I could also list that I worked for NAVSEA, therefore I MUST be a military expert. But let's see... would my paper have any official USAF endorsement? Is it a USAF working paper? NO! It's simply my ideas, as an "analyst." (expert??)
As a "researcher" I would assume that one of your primary tasks was source checking. Anyone can post anything on the Internet and claim it as fact.

Off topic, Kevin, I suggest you take a few grammar lessons so you can get your point across. I have no idea what you are trying to say in your last post. For starters: "I" is a proper noun and should be capitalized. Same goes for the beginning of sentences. Subjects and verbs need to agree in quantity, and all sentences need subjects and verbs. Don't be afraid to use punctuation now and again to break up run-ons either. I think you would be taken much more seriously if you were able to write coherently.

kevin

oh this takes the cake. tamale...."do you" have A life? please tell me you'''''''re not really that tight-assed (look! punctuation!!! it/s happening!!) about how people type on a forum.> but please, give me some time to work on this[ ] so you can take me ## seriously. { } ()!!?<>>} |\ ~

*****please nobody take offense to the many unecessary punctuations in this most recent thread. the point of this was to practice for tamale so that he and all others might finally be able to understand my encripted posts, and so that he and other said members may also be able to finally take me seriously. i hope with these words i have succeeded in getting my point across, that i intend to do everything in my power to improve upon my typing performance. thank you for your attentiveness.

sincerely,
kant reed or rite good

AldAE

You won't many Tomcat converts that will attest to the Hornet (either variant) being better.

The Hornet is not the F-18 A/B/C/D, it is a new aircraft and not a necessarily superior one at that. Politics baby, that's the story of the "Super" Hornet.

rcastor426

I was a former Air frames tech in vf-11, the whole hitting the canopy thing could not happen, when the canopy jettisons just prior to ejection the charge sends the canopy towards the rear of the aircraft. not to metion the wind getting under it would be like a parachute itself. we had a guy accidentaly blow the canopy on a jet in the hangar and the canopy landed on the very aft portion of the jet were the main fuel dump mast is located. and i have personally seen the f-18 e/f try and breakthe sound barrier in level flight with external tanks. took him 3 trys and the third try he was in a dive. that plane modified is still a fag jet. it will never surpass the mighty f-14