• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
At some level I imagine flying Caravans for FedEx would be kind of cool. I am probably fooling myself.
Most of those guys do enjoy it and have found their nitch.. The only thing is it pays shit. Many doing the Caravan thing have it as a side job or are retired. For example, the Cleveland caravan guy will fly to Erie after we get in the morning and then spend all day come back with the night sort stuff and rinse and repeat all week. He lives in Erie and just sleeps in Cleveland 4 nights a week

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Most of those guys do enjoy it and have found their nitch.. The only thing is it pays shit. Many doing the Caravan thing have it as a side job or are retired. For example, the Cleveland caravan guy will fly to Erie after we get in the morning and then spend all day come back with the night sort stuff and rinse and repeat all week. He lives in Erie and just sleeps in Cleveland 4 nights a week
I got money...having a hobby that pays could be fun.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot
Good to hear FedEx seems to be doing better. When I was applying, it sounded like they weren't going to be hiring anytime this year.

In other news, I think a Darwin might be deserved for this one...

They were shrinking and retiring planes... Right now we are getting hammered. Flight Coordination dude told me Wednesday that they sorted 1 million, 38 thousand packages. (Memphis day sort). Those are peak kind of numbers. The real question is what happens long term with the economy sinking because of Covid?

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
Good to hear FedEx seems to be doing better. When I was applying, it sounded like they weren't going to be hiring anytime this year.

That's a really shitty fucking day for that crew. I don't know much about this incident, but I'm very glad that the crew and passengers are all safe. There's enough going on right now that the last thing you wanna do is go to the hotel knowing you were involved with someone's death. It would be a while before I'd want to get back to work in a plane after that.

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor

Did they fill out their HASH report and send their swab to the Smithsonian?

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
That's a really shitty fucking day for that crew. I don't know much about this incident, but I'm very glad that the crew and passengers are all safe. There's enough going on right now that the last thing you wanna do is go to the hotel knowing you were involved with someone's death. It would be a while before I'd want to get back to work in a plane after that.

Totally agree. WTF was that dude doing on the runway? We may never know, but thank God nobody else got hurt.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Totally agree. WTF was that dude doing on the runway? We may never know, but thank God nobody else got hurt.

There's a VAS Aviation (I think it is) ATC audio vid on Youtube where one airliner all of a sudden has a guy climbing up the wing. It's a long video because of all of the logistics with LE and ATC, but it's a crazy situation. It's also really interesting to "hear" some of the things that are going on in both the crew's mind as well as all the other aircraft crews' minds. You can hear the wheels turning in the decision making process, and then once a fairly major decision is made by the Captain and called over the radio, you then hear several other flight crews chime in over the radio about how it was a smart move, as they were no doubt running through the situation in their heads, as well.

It's interesting listen to, and as a professional pilot, I'd argue one gets more out of the video than your standard tail number chaser.

Here's a link to what looks to be a shorter version of the incident:

Hair Warrior

Contributor