• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Angry

NFO in Jax
None
Seems the routes I've seen are word of mouth, flyers around a training center, and private group message board recommendations. At my airline at least, the 401k is through Fidelity that provides advisement services after a certain portfolio threshold (400k) and Schwab advisors through the union. I've also seen sponsoring union events, airshows, social media advertising, but I can't speak to the effectiveness or price of that.

Also the desires of each person are different. I don't really want a lot of investment advice, more just maximizing my company contributions and being smart about taxes. Some folks want the full monty advisor with the associated costs.

That makes sense - we custody through both Fidelity and Schwab and see a lot of airline rollovers coming from those entities.

Word of mouth is definitely what we have experienced up until now, but I didn't know if you guys see firms showing up to conferences or advertising in industry publications (and if they are, is it even effective?).

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some firms always seemed to show up at union retirement transition events. I assume they paid for the privilage.

GroundPounder

I am not sure why exactly, but his YouTube videos are mesmerizing. Between his search for chicken and cold beer, interspersed with bitiching about trains not being there when you need one, I can't stop watching them. His piano accompaniment adds to the experience. He shows up once in Indonesia, just chatting it up with street vendors in Indonesian.

On the face of it, it sounds absurd, but they have something going for them that is relaxing.

The guy was defiantly marching to his own drummer. I watched a few hours of his stuff before I found out he was dead, but it was inevitable. He drank way to much to be jumping on and off trains, in the darkest hour of the night.

Last edited:

taxi1

pilot
I am not sure why exactly, but his YouTube videos are mesmerizing. Between his search for chicken and cold beer, interspersed with bitiching about trains not being there when you need one, I can't stop watching them. His piano accompaniment adds to the experience. He shows up once in Indonesia, just chatting it up with street vendors in Indonesian.

On the face of it, it sounds absurd, but they have something going for them that is relaxing.

The guy was defiantly marching to his own drummer. I watched a few hours of his stuff before I found out he was dead, but it was inevitable. He drank way to much to be jumping on and off trains, in the darkest hour of the night.
I watch Hobo Shoestring. He's led a train wreck of a life, should be dead, had his hand run over by a train, got hit by a car while leaving the tracks, etc. But what a great story teller.

Back in college I hopped freight trains from Glacier National Park to Seattle at the end of a summer working in the national park. Awesome adventure. Have always had a soft spot for the "profession".

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Some Delta guy might know the story, but back in the day I heard from a couple guys in my Reserve Squadron that in the late 80s there was a well known Captain the rode the rails on his days off. Apparently he kept is stuff in storage and would clean up and crash with relatives and friends before going to fly a trip. Rest of the time was spent hopping trains.

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Some Delta guy might know the story, but back in the day I heard from a couple guys in my Reserve Squadron that in the late 80s there was a well known Captain the rode the rails on his days off. Apparently he kept is stuff in storage and would clean up and crash with relatives and friends before going to fly a trip. Rest of the time was spent hopping trains.
I’ll be sure to ask around regarding this. I’ve heard of dudes living in RVs and campers parked in various airport employee lots but nothing like what you mentioned.