• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Well I think it is relatively obvious the "information" is not really aimed at the general public, even if it is publicized in that way. You're not wrong though wink......absolutely 0 Joe schmoes care, and if they knew, they'd probably be pissed. As a counterargument, I'd say that the 67 rule is dumb, and a band aid that likely will affect safety. And I really hope I'm not the CA one day who decides they need to stick around until that age. Real life is not far from over at that point, not many years to enjoy whatever you have made for yourself. And as the old FDX statistic shows, they are even more unlikely to enjoy much more life.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Well I think it is relatively obvious the "information" is not really aimed at the general public, even if it is publicized in that way. You're not wrong though wink......absolutely 0 Joe schmoes care, and if they knew, they'd probably be pissed. As a counterargument, I'd say that the 67 rule is dumb, and a band aid that likely will affect safety. And I really hope I'm not the CA one day who decides they need to stick around until that age. Real life is not far from over at that point, not many years to enjoy whatever you have made for yourself. And as the old FDX statistic shows, they are even more unlikely to enjoy much more life.

it really seems that the institutIonal investors and the finance folks are the target audience of those pickets. They won’t stop the general public from buying tickets when they need to fly somewhere.

As for Age 67… as long as they can keep their medical, most pilots will probably stay for it. That’s the way it worked for 60 to 65.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well I think it is relatively obvious the "information" is not really aimed at the general public, even if it is publicized in that way.

it really seems that the institutIonal investors and the finance folks are the target audience of those pickets.
Of course. So why not picket company HQ? I contend that for "informational" purposes picketing by airline unions at airports is a net negative. Picketing company HQ is a better way to show solidarity to the company and modern media is a better way to get the message out to the people that care and can influence. Walking in a circle holding signs is a throw back to the old union playbook. Even if striking and the goal of the picket is to discourage scabs, you would not picket at the front of the airport. I expect better then a nostalgia show.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
In my opinion, the public never has. I am sorry, but I always found it unseemly for members of one of the top earning professions in the country, making well over the average American, to be out carrying picket signs in front of their place of business, the airport, where their customers are walking past them with $800 tickets in their pockets. You can't keep a straight face and claim you are not being paid a fair wage. I dare ALPA or APA to put their hourly wage demand on their "informational" signs next time they are picketing. You may not be getting paid a fair "market" wage, but the public does not make that distinction. All they know is you work fewer days then them and make more than twice as much. We know the real details. But it doesn't matter to the public. I support union demands for improved safety, pay and conditions. I just don't think it needs to be taken to the public.

I initially had a much stronger reaction to this, but I'll go with saying this is overly cynical. The RLA puts constraints on what can be done, so might as well use a small tool in the toolbox than leave it alone. And the audience is really the business media and investors, as you know. Operational challenges combined with labor strife can tend to a negative information environment. Remains to be seen if anyone can capitalize on it. UAL had a chance and punted it into the stands.

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
it really seems that the institutIonal investors and the finance folks are the target audience of those pickets. They won’t stop the general public from buying tickets when they need to fly somewhere.

As for Age 67… as long as they can keep their medical, most pilots will probably stay for it. That’s the way it worked for 60 to 65.
WHY?

Assuming you’ve got reasonable seniority and aren’t a complete moron with investments, why work 2 more years?

Your health isn’t going to get any better, and life expectancy at 67 is 16 more years. You can’t spend money when you’re dead.

I’m legitimately puzzled by the desire to work two more years on the line at 65.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Inertia. I know guys that have been afraid to retire, so they keep working, even when they don’t have to.

HuggyU2

None
WHY?

... why work 2 more years?
Because you now have the seniority you've waited for: vacation time, better schedules.
And you have full medical coverage and benefits.

But the two biggest reasons for many people are:
1. Many believe retiring can lead to a decline on your cognitive health. You need to stay engaged.
2. You're essentially working a part time job and making great money.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
1. Many believe retiring can lead to a decline on your cognitive health. You need to stay engaged.

This is a concern of mine. Maybe not clinical decline, but some sort of lazy decline. I'd like to retire before 60, but I can't figure out what I'd do day-to-day if I did.

All that said, if I lose my medical early, that will change the calculus.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
This is a concern of mine. Maybe not clinical decline, but some sort of lazy decline. I'd like to retire before 60, but I can't figure out what I'd do day-to-day if I did.

All that said, if I lose my medical early, that will change the calculus.
A1C numbers and genral inflammation are the threat I think. I see the low carb thing as a pathway to keeping the medical as long as possible. (not trying to mix with meat thread). Staying away from statins, too...

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
WHY?

Assuming you’ve got reasonable seniority and aren’t a complete moron with investments, why work 2 more years?

Your health isn’t going to get any better, and life expectancy at 67 is 16 more years. You can’t spend money when you’re dead.

I’m legitimately puzzled by the desire to work two more years on the line at 65.

Easy schedule and big money at the top.
Fear of irrelevance after retirement.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In my opinion, the public never has. I am sorry, but I always found it unseemly for members of one of the top earning professions in the country, making well over the average American, to be out carrying picket signs in front of their place of business, the airport, where their customers are walking past them with $800 tickets in their pockets. You can't keep a straight face and claim you are not being paid a fair wage. I dare ALPA or APA to put their hourly wage demand on their "informational" signs next time they are picketing. You may not be getting paid a fair "market" wage, but the public does not make that distinction. All they know is you work fewer days then them and make more than twice as much. We know the real details. But it doesn't matter to the public. I support union demands for improved safety, pay and conditions. I just don't think it needs to be taken to the public.
Wink,counterpoint, you know I was pleasantly surprised in our last VDR picket at MIA. Almost every passenger going by us (and the airport was packed) cheered us on and was vocal with support.

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
WHY?

At least at AA I fly with a lot of captains that are trying to make up lost time financially due to many of the various factors that impacted their career trajectory. I also think that a lot of pilots say one thing publically and probably think differently about the age limit being increased. We are about to do a poll of the membership on it, will be interesting to see the results.