• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Managing an airline has to be one of the most thankless jobs in the world. Business stability in that world seems like an oxymoron.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Scott Kirby (UAL CEO), was recently on a podcast, "Inside the Bubble" where he stated that on any given day, 36% of UAL pilots age 64 are unavailable to fly due to short and long term medical issues. Hence he doesn't see age 67 as really helping.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Sometimes your golf club buddies give you good ideas. In this case, probably not. As it stands, I don't think this one has the votes.
This will probably get enough votes eventually or get put into some other bill with some pork. The associations representing Atlas, Spirit, Frontier etc. and Association representing all the regionals are for it. Polling shows 40% of SWA pilots are for it, and there are sizable groups of pilots at other airlines as well. The public will hear that this can alleviate their cancelled flying crew issues so it’ll get support of voters with RJ, ULCC and SWA service near where they live. After covid bailouts no one is going to want to listen to well paid airline pilots bitch about how their career expectations and earnings are harmed again.

Unless international laws change, the only saving grace this time around is the extenders won’t be able to hang out on top of a seniority list doing international flying. They’ll have to suffer through domestic flying.

Legacies and FedEx/UPS will probably still have some movement on the seniority lists but there will probably be stagnation and reduced hiring for a couple years once this passes.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
After covid bailouts no one is going to want to listen to well paid airline pilots bitch about how their career expectations and earnings are harmed again.
In my opinion, the public never has. I am sorry, but I always found it unseemly for members of one of the top earning professions in the country, making well over the average American, to be out carrying picket signs in front of their place of business, the airport, where their customers are walking past them with $800 tickets in their pockets. You can't keep a straight face and claim you are not being paid a fair wage. I dare ALPA or APA to put their hourly wage demand on their "informational" signs next time they are picketing. You may not be getting paid a fair "market" wage, but the public does not make that distinction. All they know is you work fewer days then them and make more than twice as much. We know the real details. But it doesn't matter to the public. I support union demands for improved safety, pay and conditions. I just don't think it needs to be taken to the public.