• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The SHOW: Airlines still a "good gig"??

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
My FO last week is gonna clear 380k on 3rd year widebody FO pay. Show is still good and he’s retired Air Fonce so he’s crushing the year! I would say that’s better than me but I think he’ll be about 70k short (best guess)
That's awesome. I also like the inverse... flown with a few lately that took the whole last year off with our paid leaves of absence. One of the Captains I flew with bemoaned missing his afternoon nap on our 1 leg to LAX.

Now it's all critical manning shortages (surprise, surprise), and can't find enough narrow body FOs to fill seats, and a couple hundred sitting around awaiting training. Company is throwing around premium much more than previously (2019).

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Company is throwing around premium much more than previously (2019).
Premium pay....I had a 2 leg 3 day LAX for premium last week. It reassigned after landing in LAX to a 2 day. I got paid for 3 legs instead of 2. the 2 I flew and the one I was originally assigned. Pay for those legs was all at 150%. Plus I then got an extra 100% for the reassignment.

Original trip was 12.5 hour but on premium paid 19.25 hours. Reassigned added another 6 hour but at primum it became 9 hours added. So trip was now 28.25 hours and a day shorter. But wait, there is more! 100% for the reassignment! That extra leg is 18 hours because it doubled (to include the premium time) so total trip was 37.25 hour, away from home door-to-door for 27 hours, and an extra day off. $12,215 for the trip instead if the $4099 it pays as scheduled.

I have 5 of my 8 trips this month as premium. I'm flying max because of all the premium pickup available.

The Show is definitely still a good gig...

mad dog

the 🪨 🗒️ ✂️ champion
pilot
Contributor
Premium pay....I had a 2 leg 3 day LAX for premium last week. It reassigned after landing in LAX to a 2 day. I got paid for 3 legs instead of 2. the 2 I flew and the one I was originally assigned. Pay for those legs was all at 150%. Plus I then got an extra 100% for the reassignment.

Original trip was 12.5 hour but on premium paid 19.25 hours. Reassigned added another 6 hour but at primum it became 9 hours added. So trip was now 28.25 hours and a day shorter. But wait, there is more! 100% for the reassignment! That extra leg is 18 hours because it doubled (to include the premium time) so total trip was 37.25 hour, away from home door-to-door for 27 hours, and an extra day off. $12,215 for the trip instead if the $4099 it pays as scheduled.

I have 5 of my 8 trips this month as premium. I'm flying max because of all the premium pickup available.

The Show is definitely still a good gig...
?

I would like to do this.

?

Python

pilot
Contributor
It is absolutely raining premium pay where I’m at. Record levels. Anecdotally I hear that’s true at all the other places too. All as a result of chopping off too much of the seniority list during COVID. Bodes well for those in the show, as well as all the aspirants because of the high demand for more pilots.

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
It is absolutely raining premium pay where I’m at. Record levels. Anecdotally I hear that’s true at all the other places too. All as a result of chopping off too much of the seniority list during COVID. Bodes well for those in the show, as well as all the aspirants because of the high demand for more pilots.

Same at my airline. I'm out on a COVID LOA but the peeps on the line are killing it. They're begging for people to grab open time this weekend to cover the schedule. It'll be good to go back to this.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
Same at my airline. I'm out on a COVID LOA but the peeps on the line are killing it. They're begging for people to grab open time this weekend to cover the schedule. It'll be good to go back to this.
Was just talking to a buddy and he was debating picking up a premium trip this weekend. He’s on a DH home from a three day and just got JA’d into a two day. No need to bid now I guess.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor
Was just talking to a buddy and he was debating picking up a premium trip this weekend. He’s on a DH home from a three day and just got JA’d into a two day. No need to bid now I guess.
DH? JA’d? Wait a minute….weren’t you just busting someone’s balls for being a acronym tool over on this conversation?

Just kidding…make your Deck Hand/Judge Advocate money…I am happy for you!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor

And this is why getting released from an end of work deadhead is key, even if you're taking the flight...if you want to make sure the next day is a day off. I didn't even know you could get JA'd into more than one extra day of work, but I haven't looked at the contract in about 16 months.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
And this is why getting released from an end of work deadhead is key, even if you're taking the flight...if you want to make sure the next day is a day off. I didn't even know you could get JA'd into more than one extra day of work, but I haven't looked at the contract in about 16 months.
Almost all of the 16 so far for tomorrow are two days. Dunno the actual rule.

@Griz882 it’s different when I do it. Junior Available is what the call an involuntary assignment when they have uncovered flying without anyone willing to come in. They can’t call people on their days off but if you’re at work you can’t dodge them. Bummer that it’s involuntary but it pays double.

Griz882

Frightening children with the Griz-O-Copter!
pilot
Contributor

@Griz882 it’s different when I do it. Junior Available is what the call an involuntary assignment when they have uncovered flying without anyone willing to come in. They can’t call people on their days off but if you’re at work you can’t dodge them. Bummer that it’s involuntary but it pays double.
All kidding aside, sounds like a great deal. I wish they had that for historians.

FrankTheTank

Professional Pot Stirrer
pilot

Thankfully they can’t do this at FedEx! But they do like revisions.. But guys are crushing it with the penalty pays and overage with revisions. They literally call on all my days off for draft (time and a half)