• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Shenanigans in Top Gun

CaptainRon

pilot
Contributor
I don't think this has been discussed before...couldn't find anything.

It doesn't take an expert to recognize that Tony Scott's 1986 masterpiece Top Gun is full of garbage regarding naval aviation.

For example, I was watching it earlier and at the beginning Maverick lands on the wires with the tailhook down, but then decides at the last minute to take off again and go save Cougar. This seems very shady to me.

What else in the movie is pure and utter rubbish?

Goober

Professional Javelin Catcher
None
What else in the movie is pure and utter rubbish?

Well, I suppose you could start w/ the opening sequence and finish w/ the closing credits... About all they got right was the fact the school was at that time actually at Miramar. That's about it.

Well, that and fighter guys like to spend lots of time in the shower with each other. :D

wrk

I dunno about you guys, but I always play volleyball on the beach in jeans with no shirt and dog tags, right before a big date. Then I put on a white t-shirt, go to the girl's house, and then really impress her by asking to use her shower. Gets 'em every time. So at least they got that part right.

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
You mean Mig-28's don't exist? And you can't fly inverted like that with them?

Crap, wtf did I join the Navy for now?

WHAT? THE TOMCAT IS GONE TOO?!?! NOOOOOO!

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I was hoping originally that this thread would have been about the real shenanigans at the real NFWS.

Any pilots/NFO's have any good stories?

SQUIDutah

pilot
I dunno about you guys, but I always play volleyball on the beach in jeans with no shirt and dog tags, right before a big date. Then I put on a white t-shirt, go to the girl's house, and then really impress her by asking to use her shower. Gets 'em every time. So at least they got that part right.

Do you wrap your hands with athletic tape too?

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
I know if you so much as allude to that bad mid 80's movie about Naval aviation while at NSAWC you get fined $10....

Rugger

Pugs

Back from the range
None
I know if you so much as allude to that bad mid 80's movie about Naval aviation while at NSAWC you get fined $10....

Rugger

To what, differentiate from all the GOOD movies about Naval Aviation from the eighties? ;) At least we didn't have Iron Eagle, small blessing.

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
The sad part is, as it says in the book "Bogeys and Bandits":

"Every Navy pilot will tell you that one of the silliest aviation movies ever made was Top Gun. He would say the film was cartoonsish, adolescent, sexist, technically erroneous, simplistic, farcical. He would also tell you he had seen the movie maybe, oh, eleven times."

I think this thread definitely proves the author's point.