• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Shenanigans in Top Gun

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Flight of the Intruder....yeah...OK movie with two of my favorite things in it...

skyraider-nkdfanny2.jpg

An all business aircraft and mission that I would love to have flown...

57417.jpg

What a MILF...:D

HighDimension

pilot
Contributor
I guess my thought process now is that wanting jets in primary is kind of like being in college wanting to date the hot slut that puts out like a fire hydrant. Sure, every guy does, but as you get further along you realise how silly it was and how much of a mistake it would have been.

I'm surprised Brett hasn't latched onto this yet. ;)

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
It's the SASR... STA (Surveillance, Targeting, Acquisition) employs it in the infantry battalion (and if you're on a FAC tour and RSO'ing a range for them, they'll let you shoot it). I think we had 3. Here's more info on it:

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ground/m82.htm

Our unit (Light-Armored Reconnaisance) employs the M82A1s in our LAV scout platoon, we have 8, hence the picture.... . I'm actually wanting to do a FAC tour at some point, so hopefully I'll get an opportunity. I've been told that if you request it, its fairly easy to get. true?

phrogpilot73

Our unit (Light-Armored Reconnaisance) employs the M82A1s in our LAV scout platoon, we have 8, hence the picture.... . I'm actually wanting to do a FAC tour at some point, so hopefully I'll get an opportunity. I've been told that if you request it, its fairly easy to get. true?
I wouldn't say it's fairly easy to get if you request it. I would say that if you request it, you WILL get it. Most squadron pilots avoid FAC tours like the plague, even though it's a great deal...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
I wouldn't say it's fairly easy to get if you request it. I would say that if you request it, you WILL get it. Most squadron pilots avoid FAC tours like the plague, even though it's a great deal...

Why do people want to avoid it?

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Why do people want to avoid it?

And you're on what board? AIR warriors ;)

FAC = Dirty, sweaty or freezy, getting shot at, lots of deployment time and not flying.

Not to say it's not worth doing, I'm sure it's a very fullfilling tour and the one Marine Prowler ECMO I know that did it loved it, but it's very easy to see why some might not find it enticing when they talk to the detailer.

phrogpilot73

And you're on what board? AIR warriors ;)

FAC = Dirty, sweaty or freezy, getting shot at, lots of deployment time and not not flying.

Not to say it's not worth doing, I'm sure it's a very fullfilling tour and the one Marine Prowler ECMO I know that did it loved it, but it's very easy to see why some might not find it enticing when they talk to the detailer.

Wow, couldn't have said it better myself...

DanMa1156

Is it baseball season yet?
pilot
Contributor
Well, I guess that was poorly phrased... I just had assumed that was a role that was easily filled. Thanks though.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
I don't mind being out in the field so much, besides I'm a radio operator so hopefully that experience would help me out somewhat... I'd welcome a FAC tour if presented with the opportunity. Besides, aren't FAC tours typically shorter than other B-billets?