• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Shenanigans in Top Gun

Sly1978

Living the Dream
pilot
By the way, for all the other helo bubbas out there: Yes, I read "Bogeys and Bandits" when I was in primary. I was young and inexperienced. I have since repented for such a grave infraction. For all the strike wanabees, it's good reading. I can't verify how true-to-life it is, but it is a good book.

MasterBates

The above post brings to mind something that has always confused/irritated me.

Why do Unrestricted Aviators (aka Helo Bubbas) feel the need to apologize/repent for wanting Jets/Props/E6/whatever (if they did) or having read books about it? I have seen DH/CO/XO's rail guys if it ever came to light that they did not want helos from day 1.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was hoping originally that this thread would have been about the real shenanigans at the real NFWS.
Any pilots/NFO's have any good stories?
There were no real shenanigans at the real NFWS when I went through as a student. It was all extremely serious business. 1 to 2 flights a day, lots of exacting briefs and debriefs, lots of classroom work, lots of study, lots of homework…and absolutely no extra time for any "shenanigans."

Having said that, I'm sure the TOPGUN instructors, having a little more time and a lot less pressure that we students did, have some stories to tell. But it seemed to me at the time, the instructors were just as totally occupied with the serious business at hand as we were, for any added, extra-curricular activities.

BTW, I did enjoy the movie. :D

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
BTW, I did enjoy the movie. :D

I think this is it. Judge the movie as a movie...not a doccumentary about NFWS. You can enjoy Top Gun and still know that it has nothing to do with what we do for a living...:D

thull

besides, we all know Tom Cruise's nose would never have fit into a REAL F-14 cockpit.:icon_tong

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
The sad part is, as it says in the book "Bogeys and Bandits":

"Every Navy pilot will tell you that one of the silliest aviation movies ever made was Top Gun. He would say the film was cartoonsish, adolescent, sexist, technically erroneous, simplistic, farcical. He would also tell you he had seen the movie maybe, oh, eleven times."

I think this thread definitely proves the author's point.

One of the better reads out there... I always wonder what those pilots are up to these days... how many times they've deployed etc. etc. Any word?

As for Top Gun. as you guys said, its more of a "high fiving, beer drinking" kind of movie... I personally watch it just for the excellent aerial photography... and the one-liners, can't forget that one.

If you want an 80s movie that more accurately portrays naval aviation (key word being "more"... as it is still hollywood), I say watch "Flight of the Intruder."

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
... and the one-liners, can't forget that one. quote]

"goose,even you could get laid in a place like this"
"...I'd be happy to find a woman who would talk dirty to me"-

"what happened slider, I thought you wanted to be a pilot?"

"Goose, You're such a dickhead!"

BTW, a question. Do NA and NFOs go around referring to each other as their callsigns?

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
If you want an 80s movie that more accurately portrays naval aviation (key word being "more"... as it is still hollywood), I say watch "Flight of the Intruder."

Of course it was made in 1991...

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
joboy_2.0 said:
BTW, a question. Do NA and NFOs go around referring to each other as their callsigns?

In TACAIR, almost exclusively. Many of the wives didn't know my real first name was Brett until they had to introduce me to a non-Navy person. :D I actually had to get used to my real first name again when I got down to SD.

Brett

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The sad part is, as it says in the book "Bogeys and Bandits": "Every Navy pilot will tell you that one of the silliest aviation movies ever made was Top Gun.....
Baloney. I won't tell you that ... and I'm a former TopGun grad and a former Adversary pilot. The movie plot was sophomoric ... the aerial scenes were "good" .... but it did more to promote Naval Aviation in a positive light in modern times than any other movie ever has .....

It was written by people who had not a clue for people who had not a clue .... is there a connection there ???

LoneSailor

So what I'm getting from this, after reading the post, is that the critically acclaimed film isn't even close to the real thing? I'm SHOCKED! And to think that I've watched the film dozens and dozens of times to get the feel for the everyday living of being a combat Naval Aviator. Wow I am just shocked, shocked I tell ya. :D

There went my childhood fantasies.
topgunrx5.jpg

joboy_2.0

professional undergraduate
Contributor
In TACAIR, almost exclusively. Many of the wives didn't know my real first name was Brett until they had to introduce me to a non-Navy person. :D I actually had to get used to my real first name again when I got down to SD.

Brett

nice:D

I just KNOW I'm gonna end up being like callsign "rabbi" or "douchebag" lol