• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Shenanigans in Top Gun

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Probably a better Air-to-Air adversary representative than the "real thing" ... :)
We used to joke that if we were some banana republic dictator, we would never buy any expensive fighters like the Shah of Iran did with F-14's.

No, for the price of say 100 F-14's, we would instead fill the skies with hundreds of those point defense F-5's, and overwhelm any intruding enemy with greater numbers and the F-5's unique, invisibility.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
....... the F-5's unique, invisibility.
No "chit", Senor :) ... every time I went head-to head against the "Skoshi Tiger" I hated it as I usually couldn't see them (A-4 = no radar -- just the Mark 1 Mod 0 eyeball -- until nearly the merge ... a tough adversary.

HarveyBirdman

Okay, So whats the Speed of Dark?
ok nobody has commented on Flight of the Intruder yet... realistic, cheesy, did it mention "keeping the faith" too much? At least it showed an actual Mig 17 in there instead of a black F-5 ...

one_moviescene.jpg

Flight of the Intruder was alright..

It sort of made me cry.

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
ACTUALLY .... someone did "comment" on it ... they said "watch it" ... but nevertheless ... tell me, young Gyrene, what does one such as yourself know about what is "realistic, cheesy, .... and keeping the faith" .... ??? Please tell me ....

How does ... "realistic" & "cheesy" go hand in hand, anyway ... ??? Tell us. I'm all ears ... and eyes. :)

The night SAM shots/depictions of SAM's tracking were right on .... but you already know that, right???

Whoa there, finger off the trigger my friend... when I said... " was it realistic, cheesy"? etc., I was just asking for opinions, not implying that they were in any way related.

For the record Flight of the Intruder ranks amongst my favorite films of all time... hence my reason for mentioning it... I believe it to be one of the most realistic aviation films out there, the SAM sequences especially so. I haven't come up against them like you have A4s, but it looked pretty accurate compared to things that I have read and heard from experienced aviators such as yourself. I'll never claim to be an expert, not yet at least, just another Marine.

As for being a "Gyrene"... I'll have to ask the word police about that one but it seems to me to have a certain negative conotation..... With regard to previous comments, like I said, never implyed they were related, just asking what people thought about it. Thanks for posting those pictures by the way... nice .50 cal. eh? do Gyrenes typically carry those? ... I'll have to check my sources... maybe I need a few more brett flamings. cheers =)

~S~

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Whoa there, finger off the trigger my friend... when I said... ... etc., I was just asking for opinions, not implying that they were in any way related.

As for being a "Gyrene"... I'll have to ask the word police about that one but it seems to me to have a certain negative conotation..... ...

1. Then I stand corrected. It won't be the first time .... :)

2. Gyrene?? I always thought of it in a "positive" sense ... from my formative years I understood it to be a contraction of G.I. + Marine = seagoing soldier, i.e., Gyrene

invertedflyer

500 ft. from said obstacle
2. Gyrene?? I always thought of it in a "positive" sense ... from my formative years I understood it to be a contraction of G.I. + Marine = seagoing soldier, i.e., Gyrene

THATS OUTSTANDING... I guess you learn something new everyday.... I'll pass that along to the appropriate channels.

Oh hey I thought the triple-A sequences were also fairly on-point... what do you think? realistic?

phrogpilot73

phrogpilot73

No "chit", Senor :) ... every time I went head-to head against the "Skoshi Tiger" I hated it as I usually couldn't see them (A-4 = no radar -- just the Mark 1 Mod 0 eyeball -- until nearly the merge ... a tough adversary.

No radar in the Phrog either. I went up against them (VMFT-401) during WTI in Yuma. Even when I knew where they were coming from, had trouble seeing them. When I didn't know where he was coming from, it went something like this:

(Everyone in the flight) "Tally One"

(Me) "No Joy"

(F-5) "Splash 2"

(Me) "FVCK WHERE IS HE?!?"