• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The next great AR question thread...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Rocketman, thanks for injecting that comment about free-float v. drop in rails. My primary AR is essentially just as it came from the production line, with a few bits of furniture added. One of which is a drop in set of rail 'handguards' from Midwest Industries. She shoots just fine for the ranges that I use her for, and although we're not exactly at the bright, shining center of the shooting world in eastern NC, I haven't shot against many people who could do better with an AR. And those who could really, really could, and it was never going to be much of a contest anyway.

Bevo's right, the M14/M1a is heavy enough without all that, cool though it may be... Besides, I think Bevo just gave me a decent vaccination against any near future attempts to mess with mine.

Edit: My source of all things shooting says that the grip i mentioned earlier has been around the competitive shooting world for some time, but has recently been given new life by Larry Vickers and Magpul, which is where he picked it up. I would try a search for Magpul's "Art of the Tactical Carbine" and see what kind of videos pop up. Unless you want to buy their DVDs or take a course from them, which they would undoubtedly appreciate. Need a rifle first, though...

CumminsPilot

VA...not so bad
pilot
What I think when I see all your guys' rifles with all that stuff on them:

Very useful in a real situation. :icon_tong

eas7888

Looking forward to some P-8 action
pilot
Contributor
What I think when I see all your guys' rifles with all that stuff on them:

Very useful in a real situation. :icon_tong

"homeboy night sights" I love it. Seeing him try to deploy the grip pod is hilarious.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Really appreciate all the input here. It'll still be a bit (week...maybe more) before I start ordering, but I think I've settled on what I'm getting:

BCM upper and BCG (14.5" mid-lenght) (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=BCM-URG-MID-14) Decided to go w/ a mid-length 14.5" because of the option available for a compensator choice and it's got rave reviews. It also happened to be cheaper before the compensator add on, but that was just a bonus.

Spike's Lower

Magpul handguard (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MOE-Enhanced-Handguard-BLACK-p/mag405 blk.htm) Still haven't completely figured out if I need the "carbine" or the middy since it's a middy carbine barrel, but I'm thinking it's still the carbine. Noticed this guard on a couple of Rocketman's guns and liked the look. The reviews seem pretty good.

Magpul ACS stock...probably. More expensive than a MOE, but again, great reviews and room to grow.

Probably a BCM (Troy) flip up rear sight.

I really like what Spike's has done, and the price couldn't be beat for the reported quality, but decided to splurge and get what I wanted for not a whole lot more. And that's before any kind of military deal I might be able to swing through Spike's or BCM. Also, the BCM lower is ~$60 more than the Spike's before the stock. Any reason not to go w/ the Spike's? W/ all the extra's you can add to the Spike's, it does add up, but everyone seems to be happy with them, both here and elsewhere.

I welcome any thoughts or course corrections.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Magpul handguard (http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/Magpul-MOE-Enhanced-Handguard-BLACK-p/mag405 blk.htm) Still haven't completely figured out if I need the "carbine" or the middy since it's a middy carbine barrel, but I'm thinking it's still the carbine.

No. If it's a Mid-length upper you will need a mid-length Magpul handguard.

You are making a great choice in buying a BCM upper. I love the one I have. Are you ordering a BCM bolt carrier group and charging handle? The charging handle could come from almost anywhere but the bolt carrier group needs to be quality. BCM makes a very good one for a fair price.

Did you decide to build your lower or order it assembled? Spikes gives you both options of course.

If you plan on building a lower you may as well order a mil spec buffer tube as opposed to a commercial tube. Just be sure you buy the stock in the same configuration. Magpul makes MOE's and ACS's to fit both mil-spec and commercial tubes.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
You wouldn't happen to have a link to a site that demonstrates this technique would you?

This is the best example of the "extended arm" grip that I could find. The guy in the second clip is using Magpul's AFG and not a stubby vert grip but the principal is the same. Hand way to the front and rotated forward, elbow rotated up with the thumb near or on top of the rail. Carbine length handguards make this grip hard to use so sometimes I just grip the handguard with my fingers on top and my thumb on the bottom (like you would if firing a LAW rocket)

The most amazing thing about these vids is seeing just how well that new Battle Comp works...Thanks for the heads up gaijin6423.

Off to the fun show to look for a Battle Comp. Gotta feed the BRD.

ryan1234

Any of you have any experience/thoughts on the mag-well grips... I know there are quite a few people that are religiously against holding the magwell technique (for short range stuff)... but as to the grips themselves? Only reason being is that for longer range unsupported shooting, I usually change to the fingers and thumb pointing at the target/rear handrail type technique... and the vertical grip would just get in the way.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
You are making a great choice in buying a BCM upper. I love the one I have. Are you ordering a BCM bolt carrier group and charging handle? The charging handle could come from almost anywhere but the bolt carrier group needs to be quality. BCM makes a very good one for a fair price.

Yes, the plan is both the BCM upper and the BCM BCG w/ CH. The option is the standard handle, which is fine for now. If I want to upgrade to the Gunfighter handle later, so be it.

Did you decide to build your lower or order it assembled? Spikes gives you both options of course.

If you plan on building a lower you may as well order a mil spec buffer tube as opposed to a commercial tube. Just be sure you buy the stock in the same configuration. Magpul makes MOE's and ACS's to fit both mil-spec and commercial tubes.

The plan is to buy the lower assembled. Spike's website says:

-6 Position Mil-Spec buffer tube, castle nut and Properly staked latch plate.
-ST-T2 Tungsten Heavy buffer.
-Mil-Spec 17-4 stainless steel buffer spring.

I take that to mean it's a Milspec "H" buffer assembly, no? If I'm reading that wrong, then I might have to go w/ an assembled BCM lower, since it has all that.

No. If it's a Mid-length upper you will need a mid-length Magpul handguard.

PM inbound.

Now if I could just get some time off to touch base with a FFL...

ryan1234

I take that to mean it's a Milspec "H" buffer assembly, no? If I'm reading that wrong, then I might have to go w/ an assembled BCM lower, since it has all that.

The BCM has that ST-T2 buffer? I thought that was a special spike's upgrade deal - and a spike's product.

I'm sure this won't matter much.. but I had an ACE SOCOM stock on mine with the Rifle length buffer (for the "long" SOCOM stock).. probably the most solid stock out there...
http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=715901

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
Yes, the plan is both the BCM upper and the BCM BCG w/ CH. The option is the standard handle, which is fine for now. If I want to upgrade to the Gunfighter handle later, so be it.

The plan is to buy the lower assembled. Spike's website says:

PM inbound.

Now if I could just get some time off to touch base with a FFL...

Yea buying the lower assembled from Spikes will be a good safe way to go for your first rifle. Not sure what weight their buffer is. I think their ST-T2 buffer may be just slightly heavier than an H but you can be sure it will work just fine or they will fix it most riki tic. I wouldn't change the lower you plan to buy over the buffer. Both Spikes or BCM will do you just fine. Tac Cool folks are buying a lot of BCM lowers right now but as far as I'm concerned it almost comes down to which roll mark you like best. I just bought a stripped Noveske lower today (and paid a premium) just because I love the roll mark....

Check with Spikes to see if they have any FFL's listed in your area. If they do they are black rifle savvy and should be easy to work with. Some people ask $ 30.00 or more to do a transfer but if you check around a little you shouldn't have to pay more than $ 20.00 or so. I've found a couple in the Charlotte area that only charge $ 15.00

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The BCM has that ST-T2 buffer? I thought that was a special spike's upgrade deal - and a spike's product.

I meant that the BCM had the H buffer, not that they had the "ST-T2" buffer. From what Rocketman is saying, sounds like they're not the same thing. ST-T2...did that star Bill Shatner or Arnold Schwartzenager?

Yea buying the lower assembled from Spikes will be a good safe way to go for your first rifle. Not sure what weight their buffer is. I think their ST-T2 buffer may be just slightly heavier than an H but you can be sure it will work just fine or they will fix it most riki tic. I wouldn't change the lower you plan to buy over the buffer. Both Spikes or BCM will do you just fine. Tac Cool folks are buying a lot of BCM lowers right now but as far as I'm concerned it almost comes down to which roll mark you like best. I just bought a stripped Noveske lower today (and paid a premium) just because I love the roll mark....

Check with Spikes to see if they have any FFL's listed in your area. If they do they are black rifle savvy and should be easy to work with. Some people ask $ 30.00 or more to do a transfer but if you check around a little you shouldn't have to pay more than $ 20.00 or so. I've found a couple in the Charlotte area that only charge $ 15.00

A buddy at work (SELRES, so he's not in town anymore, full time) pointed me in the direction of a guy who can work deals, and he said his fee was $30. Figured I'd swing by there and see what he can do for me, but there's several other places on this side of the river to go to. Will do on asking Spike's, though.

As for the lower, copy all. I'm wondering if one more reason to go w/ Spike's is that I could pick it up in person on my way home for T-giving. If I can wait that long...

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
As for the lower, copy all. I'm wondering if one more reason to go w/ Spike's is that I could pick it up in person on my way home for T-giving. If I can wait that long...

Go by Spikes at your peril. Either take lots of money or just enough to buy the lower.

By the way those guys will cut some really good deals if you ask. Probably show you around the place too. Be sure and tell them you are active duty military and then see what they will do.

Tex_Hill

Airborne All the Way!!!
I meant that the BCM had the H buffer, not that they had the "ST-T2" buffer. From what Rocketman is saying, sounds like they're not the same thing. ST-T2...did that star Bill Shatner or Arnold Schwartzenager?

ST-T2 is the Spike's part number for a tungsten H buffer.