• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Neverending Callsign thread (Best/Worst/Funniest and where they came from)

aviatorshade

Catfish
pilot
I too would be interested in knowing how an aviator got their call sign. I assume the new guys in a squadron probably get pretty crummy ones like green back or new shoe, but maybe later on they earn a have decent MODO kill sign like widowmaker:)... Just curious

Dave Shutter

Here's one source, the book: BOGEYS AND BANDITS: THE MAKING OF A FIGHTER PILOT, follows a Hornet FRS class, and has funny stories on how everyone got their callsign.

D

Tripp

You think you hate it now...
Much to the disappointment to junior officers...call signs are born of either your stupidity or your last name (according to the book AirWarriors).

Maverick/Goose/Iceman/Slider/Hollywood/Wolfman/Viper/Jester/Cougar/Merlin are all off limits...

I checked the credits of Top Gun, and these are the aviators who assisted in the filming:

LCDR Lloyd "Bozo" Abel
LT Scott "D-Bear" Altman
LT Rick "Curley" Moe
LT Chuck "Silver" Lewis
LT Ben "Rabbi" Schneider
LT Tracey "Too Cool" Skeels
LT(jg) Kenneth "Squire" Smith
LT Dave "Bio" Baranek
LT Michael "Vida" Blue
LT Peter "Horse" Caulk
MAJ John "Player" Cushing
LT Ricky "Organ" Hammonds
CAPT Dennis "Sunshine" Dilucente
LT Michael "Flex" Galpin
LCDR Thomas "Sobs" Sobieck
LT William "Tex" Spence
CAPT Michael "Boa" Straight
LCDR Robert "Rat" Willard
LT James "Jaws" Winnefeld
LCDR C.J. "Heater" Heatley

What I want to know is what Matt & John's callsigns are...

Edited by - Tripp on 03/13/2001 15:26:22

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Well, up to this point in training (at least in the Prop pipeline) you have to have done something spectacularly stupid to get named something, but even then, you don't see any call signs. All that will change of course when you get to your first Squadron, as you develop a reputation, anything is free game, the way you look, talk, fly, you name it, and the wardroom gets together and decides to name you, hopefully you haven't done anything too stupid while all this is going on. But chances are, being the new guy, you will end up doing something quite hilarious (at your expense) in the eyes of the rest of the wardroom.

Speaking of callsigns, as for me, I need to stop hitting birds, had another bird strike on final the other day, we had just taken off straight into the pattern, and I was on my 3rd touch and go. 200' high on short final to RWY 27 here at NAS JAX, and this stupid bird can't make up its mind, tries to climb over us, no go, then tries to dive beneath us! Well, went straight by our nose, and BAM! right into our nose landing gear, we landed, I hit reverse, and about a million feathers went flying out in front of the plane. Bird was wrapped all up and around the gear, mashed up the two nosewheel landing lights pretty good too. My Onwing mentioned that I needed to stop doing this, either he or I was going to end up with a name because of this! doh!

Also, on an engine failure after refusal yesterday, I left a skid mark down the runway at Cecil (didn't get full forward yoke in to keep the plane down). IP told me if I did it again I was going to be called "skidmark" from then on!

You can imagine how other things can happen, and suddenly you have a call sign, the only thing in your control is how you respond to it. We'll see, not something I am all too concerned about, probably since it hasn't been a very big thing to date in training, probably more so for Matt in jet training, with living that fast paced lifestyle of his!

Kyle McWhirter

Good stories. It is interesting to know that call signs actually change from squadron to squadron. I will keep my nose clean when my time comes (b/s)!!!! To any senior aviators out there...be gentle or at least be funny!

Steve Wilkins

Teaching pigs to dance, one pig at a time.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Well, I for one definately think it is time that we start calling John something on the line of "Eagle Eye" or something since he has no problems coming into contact with these birds. And you have to figure too, this is a pretty tough thing to do. Think about how small that bird is, and how maneuverable it is. Yes, that is no easy task to hit a bird. And John is becoming quite the expert. Let's see how many birds you can hit, Eagle Eye.

Although speaking of bird strikes. The damndest thing happened the other day. I'm on my way to work driving on I-5 south heading for the naval station at about 5:30 am. I'm just about under the Coronado bridge when all of a sudden I see this bird coming from across the highway. As it started getting closer to my truck it started to turn away. But it was just too late, as on it last ditch maneuver, my windshield came in direct contact with the body of the bird. Thankfully, it didn't come thru or even crack the window. But it sure made one hell of a sound.

On another note, the book Bogeys and Bandits: The Making of a Fighter Pilot written by Robert L. Gandt, is a great book. Whether you want to fly jets or not, it gives you good insight as to what goes on there at the Hornet RAG.

Take care,

LTJG Steve Wilkins
Gunnery Officer
USS VALLEY FORGE (CG 50)

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Tripp,

You forgot to mention somebody in the credits for the people who helped make Top Gun. He was Major Ray "Secks" Seckinger. LTCOL Seckinger (Marine Corps) was mine and John's Executive Officer (XO) while we were at the NROTC Unit there at the University of Florida. In the movie, you can see him flying the "Mig 28" if you know what you're looking for.

--Steve

Tripp

quote:
Tripp,

You forgot to mention...Major Ray "Secks" Seckinger.

Did I forget "Secks" ?!?!?!?!?! Hmm...I remember seeing the name in the credits, must've skipped over him. My bad...

quote:Well, I for one definately think it is time that we start calling John something on the line of "Eagle Eye" or something since he has no problems coming into contact with these birds. And you have to figure too, this is a pretty tough thing to do. Think about how small that bird is, and how maneuverable it is. Yes, that is no easy task to hit a bird. And John is becoming quite the expert. Let's see how many birds you can hit, Eagle Eye.
Don't feel bad, John, while on final for RWY 31 at Tuskegee (06A), I almost hit about 8 turkeys. My instructor said they'd move...as I got closer to touchdown, they didn't move. So I'm in the middle of my flare, and they still haven't dispersed...I had to apply the throttle and "hop" over them. Let me tell you, that was interesting...

Edited by - Tripp on 03/14/2001 23:41:43

Falcaner

DCA "Don't give up the ship"
Mental note don't do something really dumb lest it follow you through flight training!!!

Tripp

quote:
Well, I for one definately think it is time that we start calling John something on the line of "Eagle Eye" or something since he has no problems coming into contact with these birds...
I'VE GOT IT!!!

"Big Bird"

Edited by - Tripp on 03/16/2001 04:11:50

Steve Wilkins

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Works for me. We may have to email his onwing as well, just so word starts getting around.

--Steve

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
If anybodys interested, you really don't think "Frumby" was my choice of call signs. I entered the squadron and in the ready room my name was on the grease board which said
"FNG on deck: Capt Bob Hein." Underneath my name was the beginnings of a long list of call signs. After three days at the next AOM(all Officers meeting) my name was voted on and Frumby was chosen as my Delta Tau Chi name. For those of you who don't get it:
"Frumby" Hein
Of course, I got into a alcohol related incident not to long after and almost got renamed but that's another story!!
Semper Fi!

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Just don't pick your own callsign, your life will be hell. We had a guy that was in love with Batman and wanted to be and called himself Batman. His callsign was in reference to a bat, his name was "Guano!"
Semper Fi! Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC