• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Neverending Callsign thread (Best/Worst/Funniest and where they came from)

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
LOL, one of our O4s is named Pigpen.

OR you end up getting named by your job, a sort of token pitty gesture by the rest of the JOs as they sigh a breath of relief that they didn't get shafted with your job, ie for me: "Lawdog", since I ended up being the Legal O. But hopefully that lasts only a couple more days till I turn that job over. But sadly, once the legal O, always the legal O....

Goose

SNA Meridian
I have a few good ones granted these are AF pilots. My brother in law is an AF pilot and I am waiting to head off to OCS! He was at the O club or somewhere liek that and got a little to hammered. Long story short he got in a fight with the MP's and for a while his name was Tyson. Then for some unknown reason he had the c/s snatch which didn't sit well with his wife. SO finnaly he ended up with "otto" because his last name is Graff. Another one while the same guy was in pilot training one of the other pilots in training was a girl who managed to get lost on cross countries alot and always aksed, "where the f*!$ are we". End result fukawee!

Drive Fast Take Chances

Buck

Call Signs, from what I have seen, can also come from your people outside of the Squadron, assuming it is humiliating enough. Case in point: I have a friend of mine whom we have always called "fuzznuts", because of the way he would shave his head (use your imagination) After graduation, he joined the Navy as an aricrewman. We would send him letters during basic and all of his schools, addressing him by that name. Well, it turned out that a few of his letters got into the wrong hands, and they started calling him "fuzziness" only because of the New Navy regs.

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
John-that's extremely strange! I can't believe the JOPA tolerates that clown.

The current CO of VMAQ-1's callsign is PLOC. While on det, he and his buddies took the rental van to a bar about 40 miles away from base. During the festivities, he became enamoured with one of the local beauties. He ended up leaving with her and kept the van keys. His buds had to pay $100 for a cab ride back to base. His Delta Tau Chi Name is PLOC which stands for P#ssy Loss of Consciousness. He truley hates it!

There are many more great callsigns out there....Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMCR

marcurb

Frumby
What does frumby stand for? give us a good story!

"Gentlemen: All the Branches of the Service are 'Honorable and Noble.' Each one of you has served your country well. Be proud of that."

(signed) GOD, USN (Ret)

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
It appears that all my funny call sign post have vanished *poof*
ea6bflyr [^]

EODDave

The pastures are greener!
pilot
Super Moderator
I for one am not in a hurry for a call sign. Hopefully it will be a while before I do something really stupid. However I am sure that something big is on the horizon.

Dave

LadyJayUSN

I still want to know the story behind Frumby's call sign....

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

Brydown1

FY-07 STA-21 Pilot Selectee
Call signs?

Could someone enlighten me on the way the navy handles the designation of call signs? Who picks them for you and what rules must they follow? Would I have any way at all what my call sign would be?

Could someone enlighten me on the way the navy handles the designation of call signs? Who picks them for you and what rules must they follow? Would I have any way at all what my call sign would be?

there was a pretty comical thread about no less a week or two ago..search fo it.

snake020

Contributor
Picking one's own call sign is considered a foul. I heard of a story of one guy wanting to be called "Iceman" and he got named "Slushee" instead.