• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Neverending Callsign thread (Best/Worst/Funniest and where they came from)

spidrwmn

Call signs...

Matt, John, and everyone else going through/been through the pipeline: have you picked up a call sign yet?

- spider

spidrwmn

And they would be...? It can't be that bad... can it?

- spider

Edited by - spidrwmn on 03/06/2002 22:08:09

JackMac

call signs

i was just curious about the process of getting a callsign. do you get to pick it? do non-jet pilots need a callsign too? any info is great thanks.

May The Force Be With You

Heineken

SNA Advanced, Meridian
If you try to pick your own call sign, good luck. It rarely works that way. You usually get a callsign by something stupid you did or they'll take something out of your last name. The more you try and resist, the better it sticks. I think maybe in the Air Force they give each other "cool" names....too bad their not. Muuhaaa ha ha

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
All naval aviation communities give callsigns. Just like H said, it's usually based on something stupid one did or a play on a last name. For ex, if your name's "Johnson," I'd give 3-1 odds you're going to be named "Little."

How your callsign is used depends a lot on your community, your individual squadron, and how catchy your callsign is. Sometimes you won't know someone's first name for months, since all anyone calls him by is his c/s. Some squadrons use personal c/s extensively on the radio, others go by-the-book exclusively and use only the official callsigns given by higher HQ. It all depends.

Phrogs phorever

Frumby

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
Well mines Frumby and I certainly didn't pick it but I'm not in the mood to discuss mine. I will give you a story of my favorite callsign story. We had a guy who was just a little different in synaptic firing. He was completely obsessed with Batman and that's what he wanted to be called. He had a Batman symbol on his flight bag, helmet and a huge sticker on the back window of his Corvette. Unfortunately, his Vette was blue and he wanted it black like the Batman car. He took a pad sander and a whole lot of cans of black "Rustoleum" paint and created his Black Batmobile. We thought that he was stupid that we found ourselves asking him frequently "What's with all this Bat sh*T?" Eventually, his call sign was born. His call sign will forever be "GUANO!!" That is a true story. For those who do not know what guano is ....look it up!
Frumby

Attack Pilot
Major USMC

webmaster

The Grass is Greener!
pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Frumby, that is SOOO SCARY, we have an O4 at my command who has a BLUE Corvette with "BATMAN" license plates, a pair of Gold Wings glued to the back, and a bat cape on his chair at work.

Valion310

LOL, I've heard some funny one's like Frumby's from our pilots. We had some funny callsigns with our pilots.

We enlisted guys didn't get callsigns like pilots did, but I came into the shop one day and found "Crash" stenciled on my cranial. Since I surf (or did when I was on the coast), drank like a fish and crashed out a lot and what topped it all off was about eight or so months before I got out of the Navy, I slammed a dirt bike into a parked car and hence from that day on I was "Crash". One of our pilots was religious about me launching him out just for the name, he said it was good mojo to have me launch him out. Still don't understand why, but hey, he never crashed and he never had a kanked launch when I was his PC or Shooter, so maybe there was some luck in the name.
Needless to say, my FBO won't call me that. [^]

Valion310 out-

Jack

My favortie is an IP I had in Meridian. His c/s was Drag. He accidently brought his Harrier in for the break at his home field still dirtied up. Oops, he couldn't figure out why it was flying so sloppily?

FlyGirl

Ok, so if they make fun of my name (Amanda Ranee Kiser) it would turn out to be like a Bart Simpson bar call....I need A-man-da-Ren-n-Kiss-er. (A man to run and kiss her--saying it fast of course) LOL. But I think that would be too long of a call sign??...so I'll have to keep in mind some of the mistakes I make along the way. :)

--yes, I'm making fun of myself here...you guys can thank my brother for the name calling. haha.

grouch

If you want to avoid the play on your last name just get "caught" picking your nose. That ought to provide the fodder needed to overlook the nameplay.