• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The motivating parts of TBS

deathbysword

Anyone care to elaborate on their "favorite" events of TBS . Below is a motivating video on some of our platoons best times.

djj34

pilot
This video opens how mine closes... I must know who you are, ya boot. ;)

And, in the MOUT clip, I really like how 6th Platoon changed into deserts and jumped ship and joined 5th Platoon... haha

djj34

pilot
It happened at the bottom of a draw near LZ Vulture during the war, too. Those peace talks would never have worked out though.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Below is a motivating video on some of our platoons best times.
What you think of as motivating, I think of as playing soldier in the woods for an extended time with all the associated discomforts and bullshit (i.e. demotivating says the former Army infantryman)...... Which is why I choose the Navy and aviation as a career.......

But I guess someone has to like it.

Good to go? Yut, Yut!Yoorah! Devil Dog!

Renegade One

None
... Below is a motivating video on some of our platoons best times.
No shirtless, dog-tag volleyball? That sucks...

Seriously, because I don't know:
1. ALL USMC Officers go through TBS, yes…regardless of MOS/designator or whatever you call it? Infantry-types as well as law-dogs?
2. Is it "the same" for all, or slightly tailored for combat arms officers vs. the rest?
3. Is there a standard that has to be met, or is it just an endurance/exposure thing?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to better understand the "WIC" thing. If not in TBS, where would "the same standards" women would have to meet start to really cull the herd? Is there a follow-on Infantry Officers' Course or some such thing?

Please…don't shit on me too hard…I'm honestly curious and want to better understand.

phrogpilot73

1. ALL USMC Officers go through TBS, yes…regardless of MOS/designator or whatever you call it? Infantry-types as well as law-dogs?
2. Is it "the same" for all, or slightly tailored for combat arms officers vs. the rest?
3. Is there a standard that has to be met, or is it just an endurance/exposure thing?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to better understand the "WIC" thing. If not in TBS, where would "the same standards" women would have to meet start to really cull the herd? Is there a follow-on Infantry Officers' Course or some such thing?

Please…don't shit on me too hard…I'm honestly curious and want to better understand.
1. Yes
2. Same for everyone
3. For some events, there's a testable standard - for others it's an exposure thing.

And yes, there is a follow on Infantry Officers' Course.

Renegade One

None
...For some events, there's a testable standard - for others it's an exposure thing.

And yes, there is a follow on Infantry Officers' Course.

Thanks for the response…very informative. Sooo…the whole "need to meet the same standards" thing lies in some combination of TBS testable events and the IOC?

phrogpilot73

Thanks for the response…very informative. Sooo…the whole "need to meet the same standards" thing lies in some combination of TBS testable events and the IOC?
I would argue that the need to meet the same standards should be in IOC vice TBS. TBS already has gender-normed standards. The purpose of it is to train you to be a basic Infantry platoon commander (think base is being over-run and you need to organize a provisional infantry platoon), and you follow on to your primary MOS school after that. That's where no-shit professional infantry officers need to meet the same standard, regardless of gender. I've watched guys go through IOC indoc, and it's a kick in the balls to say the least...

Achilles

That dog won't hunt, Monsignor!
pilot
Anyone care to elaborate on their "favorite" events of TBS . Below is a motivating video on some of our platoons best times.

Get some motivator. Make sure to tell as many TBS stories as you can when you get to Pensacola, everyone loves that. But when you talk about "the war" make sure you put on a thousand yard stare and start the story with, "there I was knee deep in the shit".

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
I would argue that the need to meet the same standards should be in IOC vice TBS. TBS already has gender-normed standards. The purpose of it is to train you to be a basic Infantry platoon commander (think base is being over-run and you need to organize a provisional infantry platoon), and you follow on to your primary MOS school after that. That's where no-shit professional infantry officers need to meet the same standard, regardless of gender. I've watched guys go through IOC indoc, and it's a kick in the balls to say the least...

And truth be told, as much as we shit on how terrible a time TBS is (and it is), it is the place that teaches every Marine about the Marine "stuff". Lt Col Raible didn't hide and wait for the security forces folks to repel the bad guys. He learned (as 2nd Lt Raible many years ago) how to organize a defense and take the fight to the bad guys with your weapons and the Marines around you. Would a squadron CO from another service be able to do that? Probably not.

Caveat that with the fact that a Navy CO could probably command a boat, while a Marine would be lost in the sauce on the bridge. It's our cultural differences that make us who we are.

Renegade One

None
Those two females didn't complete the course though, so maybe not...
Do I sense a fear that, sometime soon, some women will? Would that mean the end of the Marine Corps as we/you know it?

Don't think it meant diddley-squat to Naval Aviation…even though many thought it would. "Oh, the humanity!"

CAVEAT: I pretty much think I truly DO understand the differences between combat aviation and Infantry. Only have first-hand experience in the former…but I think I get it. Over to you folks in the latter to work the "standards" thing. Someone's going to pass…plan for it.