• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Monster COD thread (homage to the C-2A Greyhound)

MigF4

Hi,

my name is Mick I was aboard the "Big Stick" two weeks ago and tried to buy a C-2 COD patch from VRC-40 Det in Bahrain, unfortunately they were out of C-2 COD patches......;-(((

Any chance I could get from anyone here two pieces????

Hope someone is able to help....C-2 COD rulezzzzzzzzzzzzz!!!

v6
Mick

East

东部
Contributor
dual pilot airframe

Why do the big USN wingspan aircraft (C-2/ E-2/ S-3) have 2 pilots and the jets (just) one? The prowler has just 1 pilot and 3 ECMOs.
Is that due to a high workload or just a design from the manufacturer?

Have to say that I am only used to 2 stick operators in the front...

B

Blutonski816

nkawtg said:
Why do the big USN wingspan aircraft (C-2/ E-2/ S-3) have 2 pilots and the jets (just) one? The prowler has just 1 pilot and 3 ECMOs.
Is that due to a high workload or just a design from the manufacturer?

Have to say that I am only used to 2 stick operators in the front...

The Prowler, much like the Intruder from which it came from, is still a tactical aircraft, therefore, one pilot does his job while everyone else (in this case, the ECMOs) does theirs.

Besides, it's not like he's gonna be able to get up and go for a coffee break anyway...

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The Viking is single piloted. Yes there are 2 sets of flight controls, but the Viking was only dual piloted until the early/mid '80s.

As for your other questions, the C-2 & E-2 are dual piloted because they are airframes that truly require 1 pilot to just fly the airplane and another one to do all the other tasks associated (i.e. tuning & talking on radios, Nav setup, etc).

Chubby

HooverPilot said:
As for your other questions, the C-2 & E-2 are dual piloted because they are airframes that truly require 1 pilot to just fly the airplane and another one to do all the other tasks associated (i.e. tuning & talking on radios, Nav setup, etc).
Why is that, because they are more stick-and-rudder, too hard to reach some of the radios, or am I completely off base ... ?

HooverPilot

CODPilot
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Chubby said:
Why is that, because they are more stick-and-rudder, too hard to reach some of the radios, or am I completely off base ... ?

The issue in the C-2 is that it is a prop plane and as a result, it requires a pilot to use the rudders. Every power or attitude change of the aircraft requires different rudder. This is not the way it is in a jet. Generally speaking, in a jet there is not noticably different rudder position from idle tomil and all attitudes. There is a farther reach to the radios in C-2 and that only becomes an issue because the pilot at the controls is hand flying. The auto pilot in the C-2 generally doesn't function.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
HooverPilot said:
The Viking is single piloted. Yes there are 2 sets of flight controls, but the Viking was only dual piloted until the early/mid '80s.

And this was only because it replaced the S-2, a recip, prop plane. The old S-2 guys went with what they knew. Lockheed designed the right seat to be almost as useful, systems wise, as the TACCO seat in back, so the co-pilot was expected to perform more mission oriented duties. Of course the S-3 proved easier to fly for a single pilot then the S-2, and more importantly, the single anchor guys didn't like the button smashing the NFOs usually did and hated watching another guy fly a pass at the boat. Even when I got to the fleet in 1981, we were flying about half the crews/missions with just one pilot. By the early 90s there was some experimentation with crews comprised of two SENSOs (enlisted aircrew) in back and a pilot/NFO up front. Most those crews worked well, depending on the mission requirements, but it never became the navy wide compliment.

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Also, a COD copilot has the task of talking with foreign controllers (as opposed to most boat guys). Do you speak Durka?

Now it is possible to fly the COD with 1 single-anchor and one cheerleader/supermodel/Commodore's daughter. It's just not safe.

Edit: For her I mean.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Not all patches are the same, or PC

Enjoy, not only a patch but painted on the ceiling of the P3 admin in Sig. Probably not there anymore though.

Attachments

• Det 2.jpg
    Det 2.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 613
B

Blutonski816

Wow, I've seen my share of F*cked up stuff on patches... but this tops it all...

MigF4

@codtanker

This one is really cool....:D

Mick

codtanker said:
Enjoy, not only a patch but painted on the ceiling of the P3 admin in Sig. Probably not there anymore though.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
another un-pc patch

This is rare. Strictly outlawed, never saw a guy wear one except a couple guys that sewed it on the inside of their jackets. Don't laugh. Times were tough back then. They were considered quite couragous. Check out the bushy eye brows. Any guess who that is?

Attachments

• witchhunt-1.jpg
    witchhunt-1.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 518