• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Monster COD thread (homage to the C-2A Greyhound)

kray1395

After some quick use of Google, I believe I have your answer. Right off the bat I got returns about former Secretary of the Navy, Les Aspin. I thought there was a resemblance to the bushy eyebrowed character on the patch but wasn't convinced. Then I found former CNO Frank Kelso. BINGO. Those were some bushy eyebrows alright. So there you have it.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
kray1395 said:
Then I found former CNO Frank Kelso. BINGO. Those were some bushy eyebrows alright. So there you have it.
Excellent. You may go to the head of the class. The obvious resemblance to ADM Kelso was the biggest reason for it being banned.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
codtanker said:
Enjoy, not only a patch but painted on the ceiling of the P3 admin in Sig. Probably not there anymore though.

That's a great patch. Could you even wear out in the open, what with current views on sexual harassment and all?

ChunksJR

Retired.
pilot
Contributor
I'd imagine that the only people that would wear it AND get away with it would be those in terminal jobs (about to retire) or those actually retired...I was 13 at the time...and a helo bubba anyway...small deck centurian. No hooks, no wires. ;)

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
ChunksJR said:
I'd imagine that the only people that would wear it AND get away with it would be those in terminal jobs (about to retire) or those actually retired...I was 13 at the time...and a helo bubba anyway...small deck centurian. No hooks, no wires. ;)
Terminal job or not, you would have been spanked REAL :eek: hard if caught wearing one of those. That is the CNO accused of burning innocent officers on that patch. Although accurate, you just couldn't get away with it. Tailhooker or not, it wasn't a good time to be in Naval Aviation.

Another related oldie but goodie to follow.

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
I wasn't talking about the Tailhook '91 patch, I was talking about the one with the fat lady on it. I was wondering if there are a lot of patches like that out there.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
AllAmerican75 said:
I wasn't talking about the Tailhook '91 patch, I was talking about the one with the fat lady on it. I was wondering if there are a lot of patches like that out there.
The fat chick patch is a cruise patch. They tend to be for use on cruise only (limited Navy audiance)for the reasons you state. But even today, I am sure you couldn't get away with it for long. Then again, one of the nice things about VRC is they spend time in lots of places overseas where it wouldn't make much difference. Their boss is either afloat some where, or more likely, thousands of miles away.
Over to a COD guy.

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
I agree. Of course that patch is from 1998 so it might not be as well received today as before. That said, until I joined the Air Funk in the Guard I proudly wore the jacket with it on it along with some others that might be questionable. Then low and behold the Air Funk told me to retire the jacket.

They didn't even single out that patch, they just don't want any additional patches on the jackets. We all have to look alike, How boring.

B

Blutonski816

codtanker said:
They didn't even single out that patch, they just don't want any additional patches on the jackets. We all have to look alike, How boring.

yeah, hte AF is funny that way... and by funny I mean fvcked up... but you already know about it firsthand... lol

AllAmerican75

FUBIJAR
None
Contributor
codtanker said:
I agree. Of course that patch is from 1998 so it might not be as well received today as before. That said, until I joined the Air Funk in the Guard I proudly wore the jacket with it on it along with some others that might be questionable. Then low and behold the Air Funk told me to retire the jacket.

WHat were some of the other questionable patches?

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
wink said:
The fat chick patch is a cruise patch. They tend to be for use on cruise only (limited Navy audiance)for the reasons you state. But even today, I am sure you couldn't get away with it for long. Then again, one of the nice things about VRC is they spend time in lots of places overseas where it wouldn't make much difference. Their boss is either afloat some where, or more likely, thousands of miles away.
Over to a COD guy.

I don't think it would be a problem wearing it. I think a few COD types have it sewn on their jackets, the few that made that cruise. No doubt a great patch.

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator
codtanker said:

Kent, I could never operate with the AF. How does one go from being a COD dude to AF? Hell, we operate different that the regualr navy, let alone the service in blue. By the way, good talking to you today. Good luck with the interview.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This one saw some use shortly after Tailhook '91. Of course it came before the Witch Hunt patch. Eventually lawyers for The Simpsons threatened a copyright infringement law suit and that shut down production. It was worn by those that had them until the Navy and the Tailhook Assoc lost control of the investigation into some improper conduct by a few. When things started getting ugly, the Navy used the copyright excuse to insist that the patch not be worn. Within a year or so the Witch Hunt patch showed up in small numbers inspired by, well, a witch hunt, that hurt the careers and honor of many completely innocent officers. Although it preceded a dark time for some of us in NAVAIR, the patch was creative, irreverent, and humorous. Hallmarks of a quality NAVAIR production.

Attachments

• bart tailhook.jpg
    bart tailhook.jpg
    323.4 KB · Views: 281