• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Growler Gallery

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
To reiterate what Richard said: The 86 selection sheet has Prowler, Growler, and Super Hornet on it. However, the actual cut off in training occurs between "strike" and "strike fighter." Prowler folks go straight from "strike" to ATM. Growler and Rhino dudes go through the "strike fighter" syllabus first where they learn to make really pretty whiteboards.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
to reiterate what richard said: The 86 selection sheet has prowler, growler, and super hornet on it. However, the actual cut off in training occurs between "strike" and "strike fighter." prowler folks go straight from "strike" to atm. Growler and rhino dudes go through the "strike fighter" syllabus first where they learn to make really pretty whiteboards.

atm =?

** looking for the work-safe definition here

Kickflip89

Below Ladder
None
Contributor
I think it stands for "advanced tactical maneuvering." It's the T-45C stage (previously T-2 stage).

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Good to be Boeing right now...at least their products are selling...

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I'm a big fan of Boeing, but they haven't sold the USAF a Boeing-originated (i.e., not a McDonnell-Douglas design) aircraft since the E-3A/B/C. We have 16 re-worked 707's, but otherwise the Navy has never bought a Boeing a/c. Boeing needs to get their military house in order. By this I just mean that the legacy Boeing military-sales organization hasn't done squat since they bought M-D in the early 90's. Their sales of transport 737's, 757's & AF One don't count.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I'm a big fan of Boeing, but they haven't sold the USAF a Boeing-originated (i.e., not a McDonnell-Douglas) since the E-3A/B/C. We have 16 re-worked 707's, but otherwise the Navy has never bought a Boeing a/c. Boeing needs to get their military house in order.

But Boeing swallowed McDonnell Douglas whole (earlier, McDonnell bought Douglas) so Boeing has F/A-18, F-15, T-45, AV-8B and aft part of F-22 in their portfolio as well as P-8 in development/production now. All the military sales are managed out of legacy McDonnell spaces in St Louis so when you say Boeing, it's also the legacy of McDonnell and Douglas (A-1, A-3, A-4, F-4...etc.)

Pugs

Back from the range
None
We have 16 re-worked 707's, but otherwise the Navy has never bought a Boeing a/c.

Pure Boeing has not sold a fighter to the US Government since the 1930's with the P-26!

They sold the Navy a lot of "Yellow Perils" (N2S) a design they acquired from Stearman when they bought them in 1934. You could also say the Phrog was Boeing since it wasn't selected until 1961 and Boeing bought Vertrol in 1960 and it certainly had a long run under Boeing.

I don't know how the USN acquired it but we flew an EB-47 for some time with FEWSG (later FTRG later FIWC)

I believe the USN did acquire the original E-6A Hermes (later E-6B Mercury) direct from Boeing not through the USAF but heyjoe with his NAVAIR connections might know how that worked.

Not exactly a strong track record for the sea service but they've certainly made themselves one of the few strong players left.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I believe the USN did acquire the original E-6A Hermes (later E-6B Mercury) direct from Boeing not through the USAF but heyjoe with his NAVAIR connections might know how that worked.

I am pretty certain it was a direct acquisition. Incidentally, they were the last 707's off the line along with the British and French E-3D/F's.

FAS Page

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
Where does a seemingly "halfway" ECM aircraft, as the article suggests, these "G-wired F's are," fit in?