• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The best price I could find was $158 at Gibson & Barnes. While not authorized by the current Navy Uniform Regulations, I've seen quite a few wearing them....including a few CAGs.

-ea6bflyr ;)

Was the WEP jacket ever specifically de-authorized? Or just not issued any more?

I tried to talk management into buying blue versions from G&B for our winter flight jackets. "Maybe next year."

mid1510

The CAG on my middy cruise had one. I just thought it was just the kind they issued when he went through API

Renegade One

None
All us Fox-Four-Fighter Types got them – at least the jacket. Didn’t need no stink’n pants though.
Cat: Man, that one's in amazingly good shape...looks like the day it was issued. Were you a "Rock River" or a "Switchbox" on MIDWAY?

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cat: Man, that one's in amazingly good shape...looks like the day it was issued. Were you a "Rock River" or a "Switchbox" on MIDWAY?
Yes, it really held up well. But what you don't see is the interior lining that is worn through to the cotton insulation in many places, and the wristlets that are pretty ragged.

SWITCHBOX. Unfortunately, our Brand X Rock Rivers bagged all the Migs. But it still was a great squadron for two very long cruises - 8 and 11 months -and loads of fun!

Renegade One

None
Yes, it really held up well. But what you don't see is the interior lining that is worn through to the cotton insulation in many places, and the wristlets that are pretty ragged.

SWITCHBOX. Unfortunately, our Brand X Rock Rivers bagged all the Migs. But it still was a great squadron for two very long cruises - 8 and 11 months -and loads of fun!
Yep...great squadron. I guess your legacy lives on in the new VFA-151...who have changed their radio call sign to "Ugly"....as I understand it...but carry on your traditions. The "Rocks" went away in 1988..I think.

Catmando

Keep your knots up.
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yep...great squadron. I guess your legacy lives on in the new VFA-151...who have changed their radio call sign to "Ugly"....as I understand it...but carry on your traditions. The "Rocks" went away in 1988..I think.
Actually, we disliked our call sign "Switchbox" (but that wasn't nearly as bad as "Schoolboy" for the USS Midway). We shortened it to "Switches", much like the Rock Rivers did to "Rocks". [BTW, one of the Rock's Mig killers was from Rock River IL and went to Rock River college... but obviously had no say in his ironic squadron call sign.]

The Rocks I know are still upset their squadron was decommissioned. Much like us guys later in the Wolfpack were when our squadron was decommissioned and those Bounty Hunters are still around. Competition among our squadrons lives on.

I assume the VFA-151 call sign change was based upon what we called that cracked skull, knife biting patch - Mr. Ugly.

Vfa151.gif

maxsonic

Yup, that's the one, good find Ea6b.:) MIL-S-18342... that's what my 53-yr. old label says, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the price of $158. I had figured some $300+. If you live in a cold/chilly climate, jump on it as they are VERY warm to wear when it's cold (displays your squadron/cruise patches nicely, too)!:D
BzB

BzB Junior is in for one WEP!

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Question for BusyBee604:

I am very interested in the "WEP" jacket and am thinking about buying one for myself. My question is who had them in the fleet? I ask because I was a prop-driver and in the low and slow community I never saw them. The only poopy suit I ever wore was during Deep Sea Survival, FAETUPAC at North Island as it was mid-Feb and the temps were very cold. I never ran into anyone who had one of these jackets- I flew P-2's, then spent some time in the Training Command, Pensacola. My time was 60's into the '70's, and the only flight jacket I ever saw was the leather G-1's like mine (other than a few guys who missed out and got the Air Force nylon MA-1's).

So, were the WEP's available only to "Nuke Attack Pilots", did that include the VF guys? Were they readily available or were they more on a squadron to squadron availability? I am somewhat bewildered as I was never aware of these jackets during all my time in. I really like their appearance and am considering picking one up, Gibson & Barnes most likely. They appear very comfortable. I have a close buddy who was an A-3 BN and he is not familiar with them either.

If this has been answered elsewhere I apologize. I tried to look things over but may very well have missed any other information.

Many thanks for any information.

"WEP" is a misnomer. It's not a "WEP" Jacket, that name arose due to tags having the contract authority delineated so you can find jackets that say WEP (Bureau of Weapons or BUWEP) or AER (Bureau of Aeronautics or BUAER) or finally DSA (Defense Supply Agency...created in 1962 and transitioned to DLA in 1978).

Calling it a "WEP" jacket would be like calling it an AER or DSA jacket. It would be more accurate to call it a Poopie Suit Liner or by its real name Winter Flying Suit Jacket (WFSJ). But WEP was picked up by manufacturers who didn't know better soooo...(http://www.uswings.com/wep.asp)As BB604 attests and Catmandu confims with his tag :

JACKET, SUITS, FLYING, WINTER​
Specification MIL-S-18342C​
KINGS POINT MFG. CO, INC.​
CONTRACT NO. DSA 100-70-C-0345​
SIZE 40 R -3-​

Sample tag

dilbert123

pilot
"WEP" is a misnomer. It's not a "WEP" Jacket, that name arose due to tags having the contract authority delineated so you can find jackets that say WEP (Bureau of Weapons or BUWEP) or AER (Bureau of Aeronautics or BUAER) or finally DSA (Defense Supply Agency...created in 1962 and transitioned to DLA in 1978).

Calling it a "WEP" jacket would be like calling it an AER or DSA jacket. It would be more accurate to call it a Poopie Suit Liner or by its real name Winter Flying Suit Jacket (WFSJ). But WEP was picked up by manufacturers who didn't know better soooo...(http://www.uswings.com/wep.asp)As BB604 attests and Catmandu confims with his tag :

JACKET, SUITS, FLYING, WINTER​
Specification MIL-S-18342C​
KINGS POINT MFG. CO, INC.​
CONTRACT NO. DSA 100-70-C-0345​
SIZE 40 R -3-​

Sample tag

Many thanks, guys, for all the replies. I realize that technically "WEP" is not a proper term, but calling it a "Poopie Suit Liner" or "Winter Flying Suite Jacket" or such is a mouthful and WEP has become the common term, proper or not. I met and married after my release from active duty and my wife, who had no exposure to the military, already thinks I'm a bit daft as I spend time with old flying buddies discussing things she can't comprehend and if I start referring to a new jacket as a "Poopie" I think I might as well move out.

I have ordered a jacket from Gibson & Barnes- I have a couple jackets from them already and they make one of the best products available, very well put together and they use the best materials. I've seen jackets (both leather and cloth) from other sources that simply are not the same quality material and workmanship, lots of "Irish Pennants" (is that still a term used these days?). I became interested in the history of military flight jackets some years ago and have done a lot of research. That's how I came upon this site. My initial posting here was really more of historical interest, who wore them, how did they get them, etc. As I mentioned, I was never around them and the only jacket issued to me was my old G-1, but I was in the VP community, and old VP at that (P-2's). I collect jackets, both Navy and Army Air Corps, and it has become a bit of a hobby (or a curse). But on the up side, at my age it is called "eccentric" rather than "manic".

rtnelly

I have a size 44 leather that I would be willing to trade for a size 42 if anyone is interested. It is my original issue jacket that is too large. I have yet to wear the jacket and the supply folks in Pcola did not let me exchange it as it was no longer "new."

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I still have my (round-collared) innerliner jacket issued in 1967. At 38R, it's a little snug nowadays. But I hung onto it for dear life after I saw those long-collared monstrosities the Navy started issuing in the mid to late 80's.

robav8r

None
Contributor
What is the "pain" level in exchanging an old jacket for a new one in P-Cola? I'll be there in Dec/Jan anyone have the Bldg # and/or phone # for flight gear issue?

Thanks!