• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

The Great Flight Jacket Thread (wearing/buying Leather, NOMEX, WEP jackets/patches)

hobbstc

None
Since we don't get issued anything except an ACU jacket, whats your opinion on an Army aviator wearing a g1? Ok or no bueno? Always liked them better than the A2.

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Since we don't get issued anything except an ACU jacket, whats your opinion on an Army aviator wearing a g1? Ok or no bueno? Always liked them better than the A2.
No complaint here. I have a sneaking suspicion your Army of Oneness might open you up to ridicule for wearing a Navy jacket from your Army compadres. But... "If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Coota0

None

You didn't get one of these in flight school?

mil-specnomexcwu45p.jpg

hobbstc

None
It wont let me edit my last response, but I meant to add a little more info. I apologize for not being more specific. My wife wants to get me a nice jacket for my birthday in a few months and I figured it would be something I could throw some patches on, etc since we obviously can't wear them with any uniform in the Army. Sorry for not being more clear before. Bad ACC.

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
Good idea, didnt think about that!
That's because you're a new Army aviator and not an old Navy one.
In my day, Naval Aviation lived by the following rules:
1. If you're not cheating, you're not trying hard enough.
2. Once you give up integrity, the rest is easy.
3. If the minimums weren't good enough, they wouldn't be the minimums.
4. If you can't meet the standards, lower them.
5. Every situation gets better with alcohol.

Rules 1 & 2 immediately came to mind.

rreagan3

VP-NESS
None

I just found my signature quote...

Coota0

None

You forgot that it's easier to ask forgiveness than permission

Renegade One

None
Hey, this is America, not Afghanistan. You can do what you want. From a later post, I understand that YOU understand a snappy G1 won't work for you in uniform. That said, if your lovely bride (I like her already) wants to buy you a G1 for your "patch jacket" (Hey...it ain't bragging if you've done it....), go for it.
Oddly, you and I are on opposite sides of the "cool jacket" spectrum. After a long Navy career, I prefer the USAF-style A-2 jacket for casual, civilian wear. I just think the leather collar looks far more dressy, etc., than the fur-collar on the G1. It's probably a "cross-service/grass is always greener" kind of thing. I dunno.
Also...you can easily spend $300-400 on someone's idea of the perfect jacket. How about spending $130 (which includes shipping anywhere in CONUS (including FPO/APO). I've probably purchased 7-8 jackets (both A-2 and G1) over the past 10 years from these guys, and have been VERY satisfied with every single one. Here's a link to the order form/phone number:
http://www.airborne-leathers.com/images/OrderForm.pdf

codtanker

United Airlines
pilot
Pops leather out of Incirlik Turkey is very popular also. They do custom work also, blood chits on the inside is probably there favorite but I also had a squadronmate get a pinup girl and a WWII patch placed under his collar. Damn nice

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2